P4P Lens Field of View

Reaction score
From DJI user manual:
FOV (Field of View) 84°, 8.8 mm (35 mm format equivalent: 24 mm)

From image metadata:
Field Of View : 73.7 deg

DJI must state that 84º is diagonal FOV and 73.7º is Horizontal Field of View.

Also from user manual:
3:2 Aspect Ratio: 5472×3648
4:3 Aspect Ratio: 4864×3648
16:9 Aspect Ratio: 5472×3078

I deduct sensor ratio is 3:2
Then Vertical Field of View is 53º if you set 3:2 aspect Ratio

If Aspect Ratio is 4:3, Horizontal Field of View is reduced to 67º while Vertical Field of View remains 53º

If Aspect Ratio is 16:9 Horizontal Field of View is 73.7º and Vertical Field of View is 45.7º

From DJI user manual:
FOV (Field of View) 84°, 8.8 mm (35 mm format equivalent: 24 mm)

From image metadata:
Field Of View : 73.7 deg

DJI must state that 84º is diagonal FOV and 73.7º is Horizontal Field of View.

Also from user manual:
3:2 Aspect Ratio: 5472×3648
4:3 Aspect Ratio: 4864×3648
16:9 Aspect Ratio: 5472×3078

I deduct sensor ratio is 3:2
Then Vertical Field of View is 53º if you set 3:2 aspect Ratio

If Aspect Ratio is 4:3, Horizontal Field of View is reduced to 67º while Vertical Field of View remains 53º

If Aspect Ratio is 16:9 Horizontal Field of View is 73.7º and Vertical Field of View is 45.7º

Something doesn't seem quite right there. If the diagonal FOV is 84° then for a 3:2 sensor the horizontal FOV should be 68° and the horizontal should be 58°.

Reactions: marciano
Something doesn't seem quite right there. If the diagonal FOV is 84° then for a 3:2 sensor the horizontal FOV should be 68° and the horizontal should be 58°.
I didn't calculate 73.7º HFOV from 84º diagonal FOV. I started based on 73.7º asuming it is HFOV. Let's calculate!

I didn't calculate 73.7º HFOV from 84º diagonal FOV. I started based on 73.7º asuming it is HFOV. Let's calculate!

Disregard - I did that in too much of a hurry.

ø = 2arctan(tan(84/2).x/sqr(13)) where x is 2 or 3 for vertical or horizontal respectively. That gives 53.1° vertical and 73.7° horizontal.

IMG_0594.JPG

Okay my head just exploded

Hi Marciano,

For the 4:3 and 16:9 cases, I couldn't get the same results as yours.
Based on a 84 deg diagonal FOV, I came up with these values of Horizontal and Vertical FOV:
Aspect ratio 3:2: HFOV = 73.68, VFOV = 53.08
Aspect ratio 4:3: HFOV = 71.53, VFOV = 56.76
Aspect ratio 16:9: HFOV = 76.25, VFOV = 47.64

So I wonder if you considered a different diagonal field of view for the 3 cases.
If so, could you please let me know how did you find the diagonal field of view for 4:3 and 16:9?

In addition, I took pictures with PH4P, with the 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 ratios and checked the "Field of View" parameter in given in the meta data.
For all cases that parameter was 73.7 deg, making the HFOV constant so I am a bit confused...

In addition, I took pictures with PH4P, with the 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 ratios and checked the "Field of View" parameter in given in the meta data.
For all cases that parameter was 73.7 deg, making the HFOV constant so I am a bit confused...
The simplest explanation is that there is just one number in the exif data for HFOV, the horizontal field of view for the lens at the max resolution.

3:2 uses the entire sensor area.
4:3 uses the entire height of sensor area, not the width; it is narrower than 3:2
16:9 uses the entire width of sensor area, not the height; it is narrower than 3:2
I all three cases diagonal FOV is different but 3:2 and 4:3 VFOV should be the same while 3:2 and 16:9 HFOV should match
formatos foto ranges.jpg

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Thanks Meta4 and Marciano for the clarifications, it helped a lot!
Is it commonly agreed that the FOV given in the meta data should be interpreted as a horizontal FOV based on the 3:2 format, or the interpretation is up to the camera's manufacturer?
Also do you have a book or other references to recommend that explains the basic camera concepts? The more I looked at available references on the net, the less it got clear, even for basic concepts like the 35mm equivalent focal length...

Thanks Meta4 and Marciano for the clarifications, it helped a lot!
Is it commonly agreed that the FOV given in the meta data should be interpreted as a horizontal FOV based on the 3:2 format, or the interpretation is up to the camera's manufacturer?
Also do you have a book or other references to recommend that explains the basic camera concepts? The more I looked at available references on the net, the less it got clear, even for basic concepts like the 35mm equivalent focal length...
You'll probably never have any need to worry about the difference between viewing angles at 2:3 vs 4:3 etc.
About the only need for any FoV angle is simply to compare lenses and understand where they fit in the range of lenses out there.
Because you can see what the camera sees, it's no problem to move closer or move back to get the coverage you desire.
And there's no need to use any other resolution that 3:2.
Why would you want to shoot any smaller than the largest possible image.
You can easily crop in the computer if you want to but you can't add to it.

Try here to find some good sources of photographic info:
The Best Free Online Photography Courses and Tutorials

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.