P4P fell from the sky

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure what happened on this short flight is power related but wanted to see if there was a consensus given some observed things.
So the flight lasted about 16 seconds. Battery was at 98% and it was about 116' high. Observers said they saw it just fall like a rock. No sound when it fell and it fell straight down. The P4 undercarriage was totaled. Battery was still plugged in and apparently still turned on to the best of my memory.
Airdata shows the flight looking all good and then just nothing. No warnings, no data. Just nothing while last status was at 117' above the take off point.

I've heard of some P4's that have been reported to have some catastrophic power failure but not sure if DJI warranties that as a defect or not. Any info is appreciated. Flight log is available as well if anyone wants to take a look.

I suspect this as well was a battery disconnect. At ~16seconds after running at full forward elevator, you relesed the sticks. The aircraft pitched up hard, then signal was lost at~17.8 seconds. It is virtually impossible to determine the exact cause, but for further investigation you will need the aircraft .dat file ( If it will power up ). Personally, I always advise to adjust your braking if you are going to fly at high speeds. Especially with P4's.

1573674795249.png

Flying fast and letting go sticks to me sounds careless,,its better to gradually slow down,,the forces on a stop like that don't look nice and cant be good for whatever you fly,you could change braking to be less violent when sticks released but if there's a object it wont stop straight away and probably collide, my 1 cent on that ;)

Flying fast and letting go sticks to me sounds careless,,its better to gradually slow down,,the forces on a stop like that don't look nice and cant be good for whatever you fly,you could change braking to be less violent when sticks released but if there's a object it wont stop straight away and probably collide, my 1 cent on that ;)
There was no flying fast in this scenario. The P4 was not in sport mode but did have extra payload (2 CUBE lights) attached. The full stick would not have really created greater forces than what these drones are spec'd for but I agree that care is warranted nonetheless.

There was no flying fast in this scenario. The P4 was not in sport mode
Sport mode makes no difference. You were traveling at ~27mph when you released the sticks. Granted however if you did indeed have 2 Lume Cubes attached, this would greatly effect the braking performance. Your speed went from ~27mph to 0 in ~400ms. That is a really sharp stop.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure what happened on this short flight is power related but wanted to see if there was a consensus given some observed things.
So the flight lasted about 16 seconds. Battery was at 98% and it was about 116' high. Observers said they saw it just fall like a rock. No sound when it fell and it fell straight down. The P4 undercarriage was totaled. Battery was still plugged in and apparently still turned on to the best of my memory.
Airdata shows the flight looking all good and then just nothing. No warnings, no data. Just nothing while last status was at 117' above the take off point.

I've heard of some P4's that have been reported to have some catastrophic power failure but not sure if DJI warranties that as a defect or not. Any info is appreciated. Flight log is available as well if anyone wants to take a look.

why not send in for a free inspection?
You only pay of we fix and free shipping both ways
https://djidroneservice.com/ticket

Reactions: Dronebow

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20