P4P-charging battery+remote at same time

Reaction score
Where can I find “legitimate” information about charging batteries and controller for the P4P, I am in a Facebook group and I am telling the guy DJI says not to charge both at the same time with the stock cable. Another guy says I’m full of it. I am positive I read or seen a video about the dangers of charging both at same time, please advise! Thank you take care

Where can I find “legitimate” information about charging batteries and controller for the P4P, I am in a Facebook group and I am telling the guy DJI says not to charge both at the same time with the stock cable. Another guy says I’m full of it. I am positive I read or seen a video about the dangers of charging both at same time, please advise! Thank you take care
DJI at one time was clear in recommending not charging both at once. In fact, early versions of the user manual for the P3 showed a warning but later versions removed the warning. The P3A charger is only 57W, so not charging both at once seemed reasonable. The P3P had a 100W charger, so it was not as much of a concern. There was plenty of chatter on the forum about doing it or not doing it, and some people chose to charge both no matter the initial warnings. [See snippets below from P3A user manuals]

With regards to the P4 (100W charger), v1.0 of the user manual dated June 2016 also excludes a warning about charging both at once. Aside from the AC name, the charging section in that P4 manual is identical to the July 2017 P3 snippet shown below. Note that there is no warning about charging both at once.

201707 P3A Charging both at once.JPG

Reactions: Capt KO
Why would you listen to and/or take the advice of someone on the internet who you probably don't know, instead of taking the advice of the manufacturer of the equipment you own. It's a no brainer - do what the manufacturer recommends.

I suppose this advisor has a degree in electrical/electronics engineering, does he/she?

You may get away with it if the batteries are in good working order and almost fully charged so they draw very little current for a short time. The problem is you never know when something will go wrong and the current draw increases to or above normal working amounts. The consequences could be anywhere from cables getting too hot and the working life of the charger being shortened or a fire. Do you want to take that chance?

Reactions: DanDiego
Been doing both at the same time for years

Reactions: shammel00
i charge both at the same time all the time no problems.

Reactions: shammel00
With the P3A I charge both the same time. But remain nearby.

With the P3A I charge both the same time. But remain nearby.
DJI clearly suggests not to charge both at the same time. If you have any understanding of electronics you will understand the most likely reason. It may very well work... for a while, but you will no doublt be shortening the life of the charging unit. Charging both the aircraft battery and the controller battery at the same time will cause more current to be drawn by the charger causing it to produce more heat than it was designed for. This will shorten the life of components in the charging unit and it will most definitely fail prematurely. Remember who is going to fork out the money for a new one when yours fails. When a manufacturer advises against doing something, they have a good reason for it. A good example is your normal 120 volt light bulb. It is designed to last at least 1,000 hours. That is if you operate it at 120 volts. If you decide to run it at 150 volts because you like the convenience of the extra amount of light, the bulb might only last 500 hours. Yes, it will work, but it will not have the longevity of life as it would if you operated it within specifications. It's your money. If you prefer to listen to someone who thinks he/she knows more than the engineers who designed the product, it will most likely end up costing you money in the long run. Happy decisions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj