P4P Camera suddenly begins shaking while in flight

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been addressed previously, I did some research to see if it had been previously mentioned, but did not find a post specific to this issue. While flying in my back yard to test some camera setups for filming an upcoming Golf tournament, after about 1/2 hour or so, I installed a new Polar Pro filter due to the bright Sunshine. As I lifted off, I noticed the video was shaky (to the point where any video is unusable).
I immediately removed the filter and re-installed the stock filter, but the problem remained. I have used filters before, as I am sure everyone has. I calibrated the IMU, then Gimbel in that order, then did a compass calibration, which did not resolve the problem. I have used the P4P for 1 1/2 years (purchased new) and the video has been smooth, it has not been involved in a crash. I have scoured the internet to find a possible solution, and I find others with a similar issue, but have NOT run across a fix for this. I cannot believe installing a ND-16pl would suddenly cause this? I have the most recent update of firmware, as I have always updated when they become available. Is there any of you that have seen (or experienced) a fix for this issue??
NOTE: immediately after the IMU,Gimbel, & Compass calibration the problem seemed to disappear, but only until I yawed about 90 deg, it started up again. Thanks so much

I suspect the gimbal motors are too weak to handle the weight of the filter. I noticed that they aren't even strong enough to fight against a few blades of grass (drone would not right the camera if grass was touching it). Could be the weight of the filter is too much?

I suspect the gimbal motors are too weak to handle the weight of the filter. I noticed that they aren't even strong enough to fight against a few blades of grass (drone would not right the camera if grass was touching it). Could be the weight of the filter is too much?

I am beginning to think that may be the case. Also I am not sure how long they can fly before this error presents itself. ..if only ND & Polarized filters were the same weight as the stock lens...thank you for your response!

Reactions: Basspig
Just to clarify, the Stock "lens" is not a lens, it's a UV filter. Just wanted to make sure you are un-screwing the outer threaded filter that comes with the Drone? I use the Polar pros on my P4 and Vr 2.0 and no problems. The actual weight of 1 polar pro vs the outer DJI UV filter is very close to the same. The polar pros may stick out just a bit more. With 1 Polar Pro on, the gimbal goes through it's normal startup and flies fine.

I have even used a Tiffen CLPL quite a bit and it's noticeable heavier than the stock UV filter.

If you are only stacking 1 Polar pro without the Stock UV filter, and are getting a gimbal issue, you might contact Polar Pro as there may be something wrong with the filters?

I quit using the Polar pros as I have issues with focusing using the AF on the P4 and Vr 2.0. AF just missed a lot. I mainly used the ND CL-PL combination, (It's either a ND 8 or 4 plus CL-PL) but that also IMO cuts too much light out to stay at ISO 100 and keep a good shutter speed. I wish that Polar Pro only made a CL-PL.

Paul C

Thanks Paul2260 I have a set of filters I purchased with the P4P from Drone World, I used them rarely, so I don't remember much 'Gimbal Overload' warnings. I had just ordered and received the Polar Pro vivid series ND4pl, 8pl & 16pl), it is with these I noticed the Gimbal overload warnings...I just ordered a set of DJI P4p Filters (ND4, 8, and 16)....the weight of these are 0.05 oz, which is the same as the DJI UV Filter...the Polar Pros weighed in at 0.15 oz....hopefully being the same weight as the UV Filter...no more overload issues...Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Once you get them, post a update, I am curious if they fix the problem. Hopefully it will.

Paul C

Check the 2 screws that hold the yaw arm to the U arm to see if they are slightly loose.

Good thought! All screws are tight. I just shot about an hours worth of footage on the golf course....all footage is useless due to the slight “jelly” shake.

Good thought! All screws are tight. I just shot about an hours worth of footage on the golf course....all footage is useless due to the slight “jelly” shake.
Is it side to side or up and down jello or is it all over the place? Have you pulled the camera off the drone yet and checked the rubber dampers or checked the ribbon cable connection s?

Is it side to side or up and down jello or is it all over the place? Have you pulled the camera off the drone yet and checked the rubber dampers or checked the ribbon cable connection s?

Side to side and up and down

Update. I purchased the DJI ND Filter set ND4, 8, and 16. These are the same weight as the original UV Filter (0.05 oz) I have seen early success using them with no noticeable 'Jello' effect on the video.....but stay tuned!

If it makes you feel any better, I have a very similar issue and it started before I ever used ND filters. Started as a little jello and got progressively worse. Sent it in to get fixed ( had drone less than a year but the amazon store I bought new from had started the "one-year clock" before I ever bought the thing, but thats another story!) and they ended up sending me an entirely different drone. And guess what? 3 months later the same early stages of shake came again! For me it is at worst flying back fast so gimbal is kind of down. Jello makes vids worthless. Recently bought P4P v2 and it has been perfecto fingers crossed.

Dallas Drone Guy...thanks for sharing your experience....and congratulations on you P4P v2! Would love to get one myself...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl