P4A/P or Mavic 2 Pro for photogrammetry?

Reaction score
Hi all,
now that the P4A/P is hard to find is Mavic 2 Pro a good alternative for photogrammetry?
Does the mechanical shutter of the P4P matter so much in mapping missions?
The guys at Drones Made Easy have stated in their forums that Mavic 2 Pro is their new standard.
Any opinions on that?

Good question. I have wondered the same. I often fly larger projects at rather high speeds with good results using the mechanical shutter. However I haven't tested those results against results using rolling shutter. May be time for some test runs. In the meantime, I will be taking great care of my P4P. ;)

The other thing that worries me is how soon the mission planning apps (or even DJI Go4) will stop supporting the P4P. We are really at their mercy. I'd like to have an alternate plan just in case.

just watch this, and you'll understand why M2P is (most probably) not fully using the 1" CMOS sensor... Shame on DJI.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My firm has a Mavic Pro 2, a P4P as well as a Phantom RTK and Inspire 2. We use each for different tasks. We have discovered over the last few years that if we use the Mavic for photogrammetry the photos don't stitch together well. If we try to make a 3D model using the photos from the Mavic it comes out all kinds of messed up and we have to redo everything. The Mavic is good for building surveys, but not for photogrammetry.

Ok thanks guys, I might be able to find a P4A in my country so that’s going to be my next purchase. I am on P4 and still getting good results with GCP’s but I think the better camera of the P4A/P is a must.

Quite surprised to read all this!
While I’ve never tried phantom4, I’m quite happy with the results of my Mavic 2 pro in photogrammetry. Don’t really have alignment problems.
But maybe it’s because I’ve tried something else yet?
Or European satellites are more precise ?
Weird, cause even with a Nikon camera without gps, alignement is working well for me in Metashape.
An example:

European satellites?
The satellites in your sky are the same as anywhere else.
Maybe that's something to do with it being a Global Positioning System.

Well, there are different positioning system technologies around the world. GPS made by the US, Beidou by the Chinese, Glonass by the Russians and Galileo by the Europeans.
Each system as different precision, and I know Galileo was supposed to be more precise…
Guidance devices sold in Europe can connect to Galileo and are more precise for example. Not sure it's the same everywhere / for DJI drones

Well, there are different positioning system technologies around the world. GPS made by the US, Beidou by the Chinese, Glonass by the Russians and Galileo by the Europeans.

Guidance devices sold in Europe can connect to Galileo and are more precise for example. Not sure it's the same everywhere / for DJI drones
But all current DJI drones use only GPS & Glonass satellites.
None use any of the other systems.

Reactions: tomphoto
Dumb question here... but why in the world wouldn't DJI (chinese) utilize the Beidou constellation (also chinese)?

Quite surprised to read all this!
While I’ve never tried phantom4, I’m quite happy with the results of my Mavic 2 pro in photogrammetry. Don’t really have alignment problems.
But maybe it’s because I’ve tried something else yet?
Or European satellites are more precise ?
Weird, cause even with a Nikon camera without gps, alignement is working well for me in Metashape.
An example:
Is there any tutorials / how do I use the mavic 2 pro with metashape?

I'll +1 the Phantom 4 Pro and Advanced 4K over the Mavic because of its rolling shutter. Thing is that pretty much every other drone under $5k has a rolling shutter as well. You have to spend a chunk of change to go to something that can handle a compact DSLR. We have a couple of Yuneec H520's with an E90 camera that is almost the exact same specs as the P4P's that also have rolling shutters, but they make much better maps. You have more control and the camera processing is a little better making it less likely to get blowout or deep shadows and are also much easier to post-process if you like. I would recommend anyone looking for an alternative to the P4P look at them. They have an RTK/PPK model of it as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31