P4A - camera photos out of focus

Reaction score
Hi All, im new to the forum.
I just purchased a second hand Phantom 4 Advanced.
Ive noticed that the pictures and video are all out of focus.
I tried changing the setting, resetting camera setting, cleaning the lens but to no avail.

I have now pulled the camera apart to inspect the lens internal and sensor but everything looks clean.

I did read that due to the sensor being a set distance it can cause it to be out of focus if knocked or screws are loose/tight.

Id appreciate any assistance as the photos and videos are un-useable.

Regards Ben

Hi Guys

Thanks for the suggestions. These are the photos i am getting. I have set the camera at infinity and ever pulled it back a bit but the results are the same.
Everything appears to be slightly out of focus all the time.
I have also turned on the focus indicator on Litchi which shows the image is in focus.
I'm wondering if its an issue with the lens and sensor.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DJI_0141.JPG
    DJI_0141.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 94
  • DJI_0077.JPG
    DJI_0077.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 93
  • DJI_0121.JPG
    DJI_0121.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 96
I have had a great experience with the DJI repairs, they are quick and have fair pricing. My suggestion is to send the drone to your nearest DJI repair shop, free shipping, and they will e-mail you an estimate to repair it, along with photos.

The focus issue makes the drone useless. It is something that needs replacement.

ok I am here now. I will reply to your message. I would try resetting the camera settings. I don't think that is the problem however.

Hello All,

I too am new to this forum and have the same issue. Sporadically while in a flight, my P4P camera goes out of focus when trying to autofocus when the drone changes positions. In manual mode, it seems to happen a lot less. It happens in videos and in stills. All of my firmware updates have been made and my microSD card is A2 and will handle 4K UTH.

I've uploaded a few stills to check out, including 2 Nadir images that are in sequence from a mapping I did. One is in focus (DJI_0042.jpg) and the next (DJI_0043.jpg) is not, and the remainder of the photos were also out of focus. So, the camera doesn't "recover" or refocus once it's out of focus. The Nadir images were taken without a filter, just the stock DJI Phantom 4 Pro lens. The videos had a NDL / PL 4 lens. But, it happens with both. I've tried to upload a .mov example video file but was unable.

I can reset the camera settings in flight and it will correct it back to being back in focus, but not for long. So frustrating...

Any guidance whatsoever is appreciated.

Attachments

• DJI_0015_Blurry.JPG
    DJI_0015_Blurry.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 72
  • DJI_0039 Blurry.JPG
    DJI_0039 Blurry.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 74
  • DJI_0042.JPG
    DJI_0042.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 61
  • DJI_0043.JPG
    DJI_0043.JPG
    9.2 MB · Views: 70
try to disable "mechanical shutter" on settings menu if you ve got this enabled.. back in '18 my first p4 had issues with focus and later there were so many people complaining about this defect..

try to disable "mechanical shutter" on settings menu if you ve got this enabled.. back in '18 my first p4 had issues with focus and later there were so many people complaining about this defect..
Thanks, XRider, for your reply. I actually opened a DJI Support Support ticket and uploaded images and videos for them to see. They requested me to ship it to them for analysis and repair and even paid for the shipping. They analyzed my drone in 1 day with the following explanation, "Dear Customer, After carrying out the damage assessment, we found that Lens Module was malfunctioned,Roll-axis Bracket V03 deformed." The cost was only $277 drive out to fix it and they again will be shipping it back to me for no charge. That's extremely reasonable IMO.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality and reasonable cost of support / service from DJI. :)

Thanks, again! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31