P4 Yaw. Not so easy

Reaction score
Getting smooth pans is difficult for my fat fingers to do. I know it can be done because I've seen it done over and over. I just think it's a shame that a sophisticated aerial video platform would have such ridiculously fast and sensitive yaw control

Perhaps this is something that DJI will address in a future firmware update.

I haven't opened up the remote because I would bet that there are shaft encoders where I would like potentiometers to be, making any modification prohibitively difficult to do. If there are potentiometers in there then slowing down the yaw rate would be nice and easy.

Sorry if this horse has been beat to death (I haven't searched by I suspect this may have been beat to death),

Cheers,
Rich

I have the same issue. My cinema-graphic spinner shots really suck and are jerky! There should be a way to automate it somehow: i.e. Speed of rotation, number of rotates or degrees, direction CW or CCW, etc. Don't know if the Mavic's slower Tripod mode would be any smoother than the Phantom's RC as it's a different controller.

Maybe Litchi or Autopilot could address it as it is one of the five most basic cinema shots done on a overhead camera dolly.

You guys can adjust the settings in the go app.

Done that, but repeat-ability isn't my strong point. After the third take getting it into position and redoing it for overshoot of the spin, braking and rocking, or just general jerkiness, the batteries are dead.

The guys who did that aerial premier of "Dancing with the Stars" with the Inspire 1 said they spent two days and maybe 40-50 takes to get it down by flying by hand. There should be a way to do this easier and with the repeatably and fine tuning that an autonomous app could provide verses "Take 15 due to me spinning too fast or jerky - and I need another few batteries too."

Besides, I might need the faster yaw elsewhere afterwards so going into the GO app to change it is slow. A waypoint that could be set to do it automatically would be fine. Listening Litchi or AP?

If you set your EXP to .20, that really helps to slow down the yaw rate and increase the ability to have precision control. I also use stick knobs that help to increase the stick length for finer control of yaw. These are silicon knobs that slip over your sticks. They make it nice for thumb control on each stick, and they don't cost much.

That said, sometimes I find my P4 acting a bit weird from time to time with yaw. When I give it left yaw while in the hover it goes right. I've not been able to figure that anomaly out, but fortunately it doesn't happen a lot, may 1 in 10 flights it happens, once during the flight. Sometimes it happens when moving forward while descending, it will go the opposite direction of my stick input for a few seconds. Really strange behavior. Has anyone else noticed this?

Gentlemen,

I've adjusted YAW to .2, as slow as it will go, which is still too fast. Practice, practice, practice...

Cheers,
Rich

I also use stick knobs that help to increase the stick length for finer control of yaw. These are silicon knobs that slip over your sticks. They make it nice for thumb control on each stick, and they don't cost much.

You guys do realize the the stock sticks can be extended. Simply loosen the top (end) of each stick (turn counter clockwise), then follow that up with loosening the bottom portion until it touch the top section.

The following video also applies to the Phantom 4 controller, as well as the Inspire controller ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You guys do realize the the stock sticks can be extended. Simply loosen the top (end) of each stick (turn counter clockwise), then follow that up with loosening the bottom portion until it touch the top section.

The following video also applies to the Phantom 4 controller, as well as the Inspire controller ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yes, that was covered in post #5 above. All 4 of my controllers are extended to max length, and it worked so good last year that I bought the knobs to extend further this year.

Yes, that was covered in post #5 above. All 4 of my controllers are extended to max length, and it worked so good last year that I bought the knobs to extend further this year.
Wow...even taller sticks. My fingers aren't that long! LOL!

You guys should be pinching the sticks too. You'll be more precise vs just thumbs.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've already raised the sticks, slowed yaw down to .20 and have followed the links that were kindly provided. I think the problem is that maybe there isn't a problem. I just want to be a pro right away.

The P4 is a marvelous instrument, now all I need to do is to learn how to play it ;-P

Cheers
r

Reactions: SoCalDude
extending the sticks, then they won't fit in the case
It fits in my case ...

DSCF5766.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member