P4 why no zoom?

A zoom lens is completely unnecessarily. If you want a closer shot, fly closer to the subject. The LAST thing we need to worry is privacy invasion claims, image jitter, more weight, more cost and yet another variable to control. If there is an upgrade to the lens that would be useful is aperture control.
However, flying closer is not an option if filming or shooting a dog competition. Distracting the dogs with the noise would get me tarred and feathered.

Because it's not necessary and it would add a lot of weight and cost besides big technical issues.
DJI are trying to compete and the $$ is a big factor.
If zoom is critical for you there's always the Inspire with X5 camera that has one zoom lens that will work with it.
Maybe for you not necessary but there are good reasons to use a zoom. Ie shooting a dog competition.

Well, they really didn't.

The higher the magnification the more precise the gimble stabilisation has to be (longer focal lengths make movement more apparent). Zoom optics are heavier, more complex and typically slower (higher f numbers) and always more expensive (almost without exception prime lenses will beat zooms optically at a similar price point).

Reactions: Zoiboyz
DJI could add digital zoom via software with no change to the current camera. They could add it to every model from the Phantom Vision up to the Phantom 4.

The common argument is that they don't because inexperienced pilots would fly with the zoom turned on, and crash into everything (objects in mirror are not as close as they appear). I don't fully agree with that argument because DJI could make the zoom only available when a Phantom is in hover mode. If they added the much better and more expensive optical zoom, then again DJI could make it only available when hovering. If you move in any direction, it would drop out of zoom.

My guess is they don't add zoom because:

- minor vibrations are exaggerated when in zoom and pictures look terrible.
- They don't want idiots taking close up photos of unsuspecting people and causing a media panic.

p4 has a modest 2x digital zoom in the DJI GO and DJI GO4 iOS app you can "pinch to zoom"

p4 has a modest 2x digital zoom in the DJI GO and DJI GO4 iOS app you can "pinch to zoom"
Correct, with iOS only, and only while shooting in 1080, the 2X zoom is a lossless zoom. The quality of the 1080 video is very good, since it'a a crop of the 4K sensor. However, in the case of dog racing it would be better to zoom in during post editing so you can crop the shots to achieve the most efficient coverage. The only downside is you won't be able to see the zoomed image while flying and capturing. But, the resulting quality using post edit cropping will be the same as the 2X digital zoom while flying, if the end product is 1080 resolution.

Correct, with iOS only, and only while shooting in 1080, the 2X zoom is a lossless zoom. The quality of the 1080 video is very good, since it'a a crop of the 4K sensor. However, in the case of dog racing it would be better to zoom in during post editing so you can crop the shots to achieve the most efficient coverage. The only downside is you won't be able to see the zoomed image while flying and capturing. But, the resulting quality using post edit cropping will be the same as the 2X digital zoom while flying, if the end product is 1080 resolution.
John, zooming also works with Android at 1080p. (Nvidea K1).

Yes John. I also tried 4K, but no luck there.
Litchi also doesn't support zooming. Maybe something for a Litchi wish list?

Yes John. I also tried 4K, but no luck there.
Litchi also doesn't support zooming. Maybe something for a Litchi wish list?
2X Zoom only works in 1080 mode when shooting video. This scenario is lossless digital zoom, since it's cropping the 4K sensor. You can also zoom when taking photos, but that induces a loss of clarity. I'm happy all the Android folks out there can now use 2X zoom in 1080 mode, it's very handy while flying to see what your capturing better. So I would assume the P4P+ has 2X zoom support too, since it's android.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20