P4 vs P3 still photo comaparison

oEjYG8B.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StevenQX
Nice shots, guys! Keep them coming.

For still photography, the UV and or CP filters are appropriate. ND's are used to restrict the amount of light reaching the sensor. They are used for video in order to be able to bring the shutter speed down to somewhere around 2x the frame rate.

With still images, especially shot from a multirotor, a fast shutter speed helps to capture a crisp image. So, generally, you want as much light as possible. On tripods, ND filters are used with still photography in order to shoot a properly exposed picture with a slow shutter speed in order to create motion blur, like waterfalls for example. Gradient ND's can be used as well to help equalize high contrast areas like super bright sky with darker foreground. Using them in the air would be tricky. Easier to use bracketed images and HDR merging, or exposure masks in post processing.
In bright sunny day i should use the UV right? CPL is only to avoid reflections? Thanks for the explanation Dave

2 pics of filter unboxing. Not yet tested but seems really good quality, should be good both for p3 and p4.

7b3e9118ad405f2338744382ca2c5451.jpg

057b3ed4473ff880dc622f974e0685a6.jpg

Nice also the small box to keep them safe from scratch.

Hi Steven,

CPL filters do 3 main things.

1. Cut glare and reflection, as you mentioned. Especially on water. That is why fishermen use polarized sun glasses.
2. They will saturate color.
3. A biggie for us. They make a blue sky pop. And enhance the detail and white in clouds.

They do block some light as well, so you don't necessarily want to use them when they will cause your shutter speed to be too slow and take a way from sharpness. In my photo above, I would have used a CPL if I had one. The shutter speed was 1200 and probably would have been 600 if I had used a CPL. Still plenty fast. Then my sky and the water would have been even better ...probably ;)

Post up some sample photos with your filters when you get going !

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenQX

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4