P4 VR 2.0 Slow Drifting in Hover, etc.

Reaction score
This issue with DJI seems to have died down, no firmware, no comments, etc.

As I cannot find a way to open a technical support ticket, only a repair ticket on this issue I have kept up with posts on the DJI form.

Has anyone purchased a P4 Pro Vr 2.0 in the past 3 weeks or so that is not seeing the issue?

(Drone drifts on hover and or yaws on hover, doesn't fly in a straight line or fly upwards without angling to the right or left, and after yawing the drone, the motion continues without stick pressure and requires opposite stick pressure to stop)

Just curious if the fix was a EC (engineering change) which required hardware so DJI just added it to drones on the line to fix the issue and have not addressed or will not address issue to drones shipped and in the field.

Issue dates back to Mid June when the Vr 2.0 first shipped.

Paul C

try and get a chat going with one of the monitor on DJI forum. they are very helpful. and can steer you in the right direction.

And you’ve done a new IMU calibration, then Compass?

This issue with DJI seems to have died down, no firmware, no comments, etc.

As I cannot find a way to open a technical support ticket, only a repair ticket on this issue I have kept up with posts on the DJI form.

Has anyone purchased a P4 Pro Vr 2.0 in the past 3 weeks or so that is not seeing the issue?

(Drone drifts on hover and or yaws on hover, doesn't fly in a straight line or fly upwards without angling to the right or left, and after yawing the drone, the motion continues without stick pressure and requires opposite stick pressure to stop)

Just curious if the fix was a EC (engineering change) which required hardware so DJI just added it to drones on the line to fix the issue and have not addressed or will not address issue to drones shipped and in the field.

Issue dates back to Mid June when the Vr 2.0 first shipped.

Paul C
Hi Paul,

I bought the v2+ in mid Aug and have this issue. Although it has hindered my shots to some degree, it is still a fault and an annoyance.

If what you say is true then we would all be entitled to have the bird replaced with a new revision under warranty, would we not?

New p4p v2 - 2 weeks old and the exact same thing... slow yaw drift on hover and flying. My p2, p2v, p2v+, p3pro do not or have ever done this. Done precision level IMU cal, compass and rc cal again and again. Not a calibration issue unless the process itself is buggy. DJI has also acknowledged the issue and said September will be a firmware fix but here we are end of September. Bought this for the fall colors that don't last all that long... what a waste, I am using all my old drones to capture because this thing cant sit still for images and video is a drifting joke. I just cant wait until December to use a new 2k CAD drone I bought in September... My p2v is taking better shots right now on a 14 meg sensor with lens correction because it is staying completely still for great images. Also my P4P v2 works perfect inside without GPS or senors active it does not drift at all. It only drifts outside when in GPS mode. Unfortunately I bought this for outdoor use.

Add me to the list. Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. Yaw will drift a couple of degrees in straight forward flight (mostly drifting left) and wil also drift slowley when orbiting around something.

Calibrated IMU prolly 10 times in a month. Calibrated the compas the dame too. Even calibrated the remote compas countless times.

I sent it back to DJI and they literally sent me back a complete brand new P4Pv2 with retail stckers...totatly brand new! I have not flown it yet but Im curious to see if its better on this new one now

Reactions: Dallas Drone Guy
Add me to the list. Phantom 4 Pro V2.0. Yaw will drift a couple of degrees in straight forward flight (mostly drifting left) and wil also drift slowley when orbiting around something.

Calibrated IMU prolly 10 times in a month. Calibrated the compas the dame too. Even calibrated the remote compas countless times.

I sent it back to DJI and they literally sent me back a complete brand new P4Pv2 with retail stckers...totatly brand new! I have not flown it yet but Im curious to see if its better on this new one now

Hi Cliff,

Do you have the plus version. Let me know how you go... if it flys straight I'll do the same with mine.

Cheers

The first time I saw it was my. original P4P. I sold that and got the P4P+V2.0. Then sent it back to DJI for this yaw drift problem and they literally sent me a drand new one. New serial with retail stickers on it.

I flew the NEW on on Sunday....exact same yaw drift! My Mavic Air does not do this, My Mavic-2 Zoom does not do this and my Mavic-2 Pro does not do this.

The only aircraft I have flown with this yaw drift is the Phantom 4 Pro and P4P-V2.0

The first time I saw it was my. original P4P. I sold that and got the P4P+V2.0. Then sent it back to DJI for this yaw drift problem and they literally sent me a drand new one. New serial with retail stickers on it.

I flew the NEW on on Sunday....exact same yaw drift! My Mavic Air does not do this, My Mavic-2 Zoom does not do this and my Mavic-2 Pro does not do this.

The only aircraft I have flown with this yaw drift is the Phantom 4 Pro and P4P-V2.0

My p4p v2 and the p4 before it both did it. As you said mavic 2 is rock solid

Reactions: DKG13CC
Try calibrating your sticks, if the aircraft yaws while throttle up or down, two possible scenarios. One, you are not centered on the stick and are giving it yaw input or two, your controller needs to be calibrated. FWIW my P4P will drift {drift is a odd term} slightly (maybe a few inches left, right, up and down completely normal). My Mavic Air will drift slightly as well. It is to be expected for me anyways, thinking that it is going to be dead nuts still is a very unreasonable.

Yup....calibrated my sticks over and over and over again. Looking at the stick motion meters, they are solid. I have even tested flying forward...not touching the stick...but putting my thumb on the side of the rocker cylinder and moving it forward. This gives no chance of any other stick tilt movement.

I believe the P4P and P4P-V2.0 compas circuit is somewhat old and does not have the "resolution" in degrees of variation that the newer compas circuits have.

The P4P just isnt aware its drifting.

I bought a V2.0 recently and havent flown it, due to using the M2’s. Sounds like i just need to unload it if this issue isnt gonna go away.

Theres ZERO reason for this issue to be tolerated. The M2’s are solid as a rock, and every P3 i had was too. Even my first gen Mavic with its little baby gimbal was a stellar performer.

Last edited:
So, update. I took it out for a flight, and my P4P V2.0 is on the latest firmware, and is performing famously. No drift, yaw issues, etc. purchased 9/19

Appears that way, as my P4 ProVr 2 shipped in June has the 06/14/18 firmware, only one I know of and still has the problem.

As I assumed it's more than likely a EC to the hardware.

Paul C

Appears that way, as my P4 ProVr 2 shipped in June has the 06/14/18 firmware, only one I know of and still has the problem.

As I assumed it's more than likely a EC to the hardware.

Paul C

What are you told when you query DJI? Will they open the repair ticket and let you send yours in?

Update #2. Took it out for flights 2 and 3 today. I centered the reticle on a fenceline and flew straight (right stick full forward only) and she followed the fence. I went directly up (left stick full forward only) with the camera down 90 degrees and it stayed centered on that point the whole way up, no unneccesary pitching. Flight three was in heavy wind (storm rolling in25 mph+) and i swear it started to drift. It drifted maybe 3-5 feet and corrected back to the original spot and pitched and dove violently, but maintained position in the wind. This one is good, I hope they start rolling out like this and give you gentlemen the revised or whatever seems to be the case.

Edit: after a werk or so of use, I have started noticing the exact same drift. I hope a solution is in store

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic