P4 range and controller type

So all I need is the clean install kit? And then I screw my stock antenna on the copper threads? Sorry for the questions I'm new to this but am very interested in getting better range without drilling
No worries! :)

The stock antennas do not use the standard SMA connectors, so once you remove them and install the clean install cables, you cannot use the stock antennas. Adding the cables opens up the ability to use third party antennas which use the more common SMA connectors, like the ItElite antenna I sell.

I can chime in here since I just installed a MaxxRange antenna I bought from Jake. As Jake said, your stock antennas become useless if you want to choose a range boosting option, of which there are several. All (or at least most) use SMA connectors which are threaded male connectors that look like your cable tv hookups, but are bigger and made of copper. The clean install kit allows you to add these in the holes that currently are used by the stock antennas, so you don't have to drill holes in the controller body to add SMA connectors. Then select from your various range extending antenna options. The optional 5 dBi antennas are 2 small antennas that function like your stock antennas, but mount by screwing onto the SMA connectors you installed. Remember, your stock antennas are in the trash heap because you must disconnect them inside the controller to wire up your new SMA connectors. You can use the smaller 5 dBi antennas when you don't care about maximum range, and you don't feel like carrying the increased weight and bulk of some antennas that will boost stock range.

There is one thing ALWAYS to keep in mind, and Jake tells you this in writing. NEVER turn on your controller without an antenna installed, be it the range boosting option or the small 5 dBi antennas. Jake warns you can fry your wifi board. This is not an issue with the stock controller because the stock antennas are always hooked up. But you must remember this if you are going to any aftermarket antenna option. I actually printed a small warning label and stuck it right under the on/off button on my controller. Because I'm just distracted or stupid enough at times to forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: go fast
I also have maxxuav db02 antenna clean install kit(no booster) I live in northern Ontario and this unit will take me as far as the battery will bring me back. 20,000 feet, vlos of course. Jake has the best service hands down and he knows his stuff. This system once installed is no maintenance required and just works great every time. You can always get a booster in the future if you fly in a signal congested area.

Buying a used GL300A on eBay and installing the DBS2 Itelite antenna with clean install kit is a good plan for flying the P4 craft, leaving the POS GL300C radio stock, in the closet. You'll have a better setup, better signal integrity. However, don't sell the GL300C, you need that to upgrade the P4 firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
I also have maxxuav db02 antenna clean install kit(no booster) I live in northern Ontario and this unit will take me as far as the battery will bring me back. 20,000 feet, vlos of course. Jake has the best service hands down and he knows his stuff. This system once installed is no maintenance required and just works great every time. You can always get a booster in the future if you fly in a signal congested area.
Maybe a noob question but how to keep vlos at 6km ?

Sent from my 6045Y using PhantomPilots mobile app

Buying a used GL300A on eBay and installing the DBS2 Itelite antenna with clean install kit is a good plan for flying the P4 craft, leaving the POS GL300C radio stock, in the closet. You'll have a better setup, better signal integrity. However, don't sell the GL300C, you need that to upgrade the P4 firmware.
Why would you need to keep the GL300C to upgrade your P4 firmware? Once the GL300A firmware is upgraded to fly the P4, it completely replaces the GL300C, or am I missing something? :confused:

Why would you need to keep the GL300C to upgrade your P4 firmware? Once the GL300A firmware is upgraded to fly the P4, it completely replaces the GL300C, or am I missing something? :confused:

When using my inspire RC it won't recognize when p4 firmware is available through the internet, not sure why. I have to use the p4 RC for firmware upgrades. I assume the same situation will occur with the P3 controller. You can try, but I expect the same problem will arise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the Inspire RC won't display the craft firmware version in the about section, to confirm firmware upgrades.

I bought a 2nd hand P3 controller and with the ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2
I can fly further than the battery will allow me to do.... with full signal still at over 5km

8F8A1CCE-A105-4BF9-AABC-DFB091DD516A.large_zpsbxffdjka.png

Hi all, first time poster here, but my question is for JakeMaxxUAV or anyone else that knows. I'm considering getting the MaxxUAV Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2 and saw they also offer the additional 5 dBi antenna's and was wanting to know if these will at least be as good as the stock antenna's if not better? I'm not upgrading the antenna because the original ones are horrible but would like the option to go out longer if wanted. So there will still be times i may just use the smaller antenna's just for conveniance sake. Anyone with any insight on this would be greatly appreciated....

If you have a P4 you have a C-model controller. Define horrible? What is your flying environment? Are you flying among trees & obstacles? Have you tried flying over open water or an RF-clean area?

I have a stock P4 and my range is really horrible. How can I find out which controller I have? 300 A, B, C, Etc?
Pete

When using my inspire RC it won't recognize when p4 firmware is available through the internet, not sure why. I have to use the p4 RC for firmware upgrades. I assume the same situation will occur with the P3 controller. You can try, but I expect the same problem will arise. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the Inspire RC won't display the craft firmware version in the about section, to confirm firmware upgrades.
That's great information! You likely have helped me with a problem I am having! :) DJI GO also won't display my P4 aircraft firmware (which is annoying and puzzling), nor prompt me for updates (which can be a blessing in disguise! ;)) , and no one else has been able to tell me why. I have had to use the Assistant 2 PC software to install all aircraft firmware updates, once I have learned of them here. I hadn't even considered that the problem might be due to using my firmware updated GL300A P3P RC with the DBS-02 mod as my P4 RC, instead of the stock GL300C that came with the P4! I'll temporarily swap controllers and give it a try! :cool:

Last edited:
I recommend maxxuav . I got the Evo lite boosted clean install kit . Flight range is only limited by the battery . And there's no one better than Jake to buy from . He will do whatever it takes to make sure you are happy . There's very few guys in this hobby that know how to treat customers .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: GadgetGuy
my P3PRO uses Jakes boosted db002 setup and range limited by battery not rc range. As I like to experiments on my P4 I am using the FPVLR boosted unit. One simply can not go wrong with either of these units but the FPVLR conical antenna penetrates through trees and such a bit better. With the investment I have in these models I use these 2 antenna upgrades as an insurance policy. Have fun, and go fly.. donnie

Mine is also the GL300C. From what I've now learned on this forum, that is the worst one for range. How can I get the 300B to replace it? Will DJI help me if I complain?
...Pete, I have the GL300C C1 remote that came with my P4 purchased end of Jun2016, like
alot things.. Location, Location, Location, in town at one of my favorite flying spots.. in one direction
I can get approx 4800-5200ft before I start having signal issues and I have to make sure I'm pointing
antennas in that direction when i get out to that range.. the other direction from same somewhat depressed take-off point.. only 3600ft, it is in the gen direction of a Cell Tower and the the hill btwn us is full of tall trees.. at my desolate flying location, lil or no interference to 11,125ft with zero signal issues.. I also make sure my remote is fully charged when taking it long range.. as you prob already know, in town the 2.4GHz band is literally crowded...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

...Pete, I have the GL300C C1 remote that came with my P4 purchased end of Jun2016, like
alot things.. Location, Location, Location, in town at one of my favorite flying spots.. in one direction
I can get approx 4800-5200ft before I start having signal issues and I have to make sure I'm pointing
antennas in that direction when i get out to that range.. the other direction from same somewhat depressed take-off point.. only 3600ft, it is in the gen direction of a Cell Tower and the the hill btwn us is full of tall trees.. at my desolate flying location, lil or no interference to 11,125ft with zero signal issues.. I also make sure my remote is fully charged when taking it long range.. as you prob already know, in town the 2.4GHz band is literally crowded...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
What you're experiencing with the POS P4 controller is typical. Short of upgrading to the Itelite DBS2 antenna, try slipping a wind surfer parabolic reflector onto the antennas and using custom channel 20, and set the transmission quality to 4mbps. That might help a little.

Parabolic reflector Antenna Signal Booster For DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced Inspire 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MD839W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_qu2WxbVFHV4J3

What you're experiencing with the POS P4 controller is typical. Short of upgrading to the Itelite DBS2 antenna, try slipping a wind surfer parabolic reflector onto the antennas and using custom channel 20, and set the transmission quality to 4mbps. That might help a little.

Parabolic reflector Antenna Signal Booster For DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced Inspire 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017MD839W/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_qu2WxbVFHV4J3
...John, I think what I'm experiencing as you put it with my ctrl is quite normal, and in fact it performs just fine as is.. as was proven by my long range test at the desolate/isolated/interference free area.. I was only suggesting to Pete that he rule out local interference before rushing out and modifying and/or purchasing another ctrl or even before slapping some POS reflector onto his current ctrl, which by the way almost forces you to keep it aimed in the direction of the craft at all times (according to many who have tried it) and turns into a head-ache due to the weight of it hanging on the antennas, those products are for the same demo that buys copper or magnetic bracelets...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

...John, I think what I'm experiencing as you put it with my ctrl is quite normal, and in fact it performs just fine as is.. as was proven by my long range test at the desolate/isolated/interference free area.. I was only suggesting to Pete that he rule out local interference before rushing out and modifying and/or purchasing another ctrl or even before slapping some POS reflector onto his current ctrl, which by the way almost forces you to keep it aimed in the direction of the craft at all times (according to many who have tried it) and turns into a head-ache due to the weight of it hanging on the antennas, those products are for the same demo that buys copper or magnetic bracelets...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net
Very true, windsurfer does make it directional, you must point it at the craft, just like the other solutions such as Itelite or FPVLR, that's a given. Windsurfers do work FYI, they typically double distance since it's sending more signal in the same direction, and receiving more signal with greater receiving surface area. The other benefit is it shields interference to the RC antenna from behind you with a metal wall to keep out rouge signals, help minimize interference. Windsurfer works better on GL300A and B much better than GL300C on the P4, but it does help. I've been out 15,000' with the stock P4 RC on a good day, but it's not as solid of a signal. Other days I have problems at 4000' with Windsurfer because of the GL300C low power output. Using GL658A with windsurfer at the same place, same day, I can go 15,000' with solid bars, much like my P3P with GL300A can do with one hand tied behind it's back, and a windsurfer of course.

IMO, all P4 owners have decision to make when they buy one. Either 1. But a GL300A or B, GL658A, or upgrade the GL300C with an Itelite DBS2.2 or better to get decent reliable range (12,000'+ most anywhere). The GL300C is the weakest Lightbridge RC DJI has made to date, there's no denying that.

Hi all, first time poster here, but my question is for JakeMaxxUAV or anyone else that knows. I'm considering getting the MaxxUAV Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2 and saw they also offer the additional 5 dBi antenna's and was wanting to know if these will at least be as good as the stock antenna's if not better? I'm not upgrading the antenna because the original ones are horrible but would like the option to go out longer if wanted. So there will still be times i may just use the smaller antenna's just for conveniance sake. Anyone with any insight on this would be greatly appreciated....

I installed the Evolite Plus, clean install kit and the 5 dBi antenna. The ITE-DBS02,2 and amps are great. They allowed me to go over 4 miles! The 5 dBi antenna were disappointing. I ended up buying the TechToo 2.4-2.6G 6dBi antenna from Amazon which give you about the same as the removed stock.

I highly recommend the MaxxUAV Evolite Plus and Jake who will help with patience and quality advice

Reactions: AirJordan_23
I installed the Evolite Plus, clean install kit and the 5 dBi antenna. The ITE-DBS02,2 and amps are great. They allowed me to go over 4 miles! The 5 dBi antenna were disappointing. I ended up buying the TechToo 2.4-2.6G 6dBi antenna from Amazon which give you about the same as the removed stock.

I highly recommend the MaxxUAV Evolite Plus and Jake who will help with patience and quality advice

Thanks for the info. So those just screw onto the clean install kit ends, nothing else needed? Curious if you ever tried MaxxUAV without the booster? Undecided if want or need the booster, hoping antenna is enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj