P4 pro with a unconventional payload for a shoot?

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is a strange one. I have been booked to shoot some internal scenes for a commercial. The P4pro was the ideal choice because of its sensors when loosing GPS etc. I have flown indoors with great success. However one of the scenes is actually going to feature the P4pro and the director wants to show a drone carrying a tray with 2 cups. The cups will be empty and I will liase to make sure plastic etc to keep weight down. I know the P4 will physically be capable of lifting the cups...however I still have to come up with a solution to "Lift" them on some kind of platform. Does anyone have any experience or ideas?

I have access to bigger rigs s900 etc but wouldn't dream of flying indoors near actors etc. I also have a p3 Pro which I'm thinking might be better without the sensors but will be totally flying atto without the safety features of the P4 pro.

Thanks in advance

however I still have to come up with a solution to "Lift" them on some kind of platform. Does anyone have any experience or ideas
AS well as blocking the VPS sensors, the tray is going to be catching the downwash from the props which may also cause some interesting complications.
Could be some experimentation required before the day of the shoot.

AS well as blocking the VPS sensors, the tray is going to be catching the downwash from the props which may also cause some interesting complications.
Could be some experimentation required before the day of the shoot.

Thanks. Yea I have a feeling there will be some up interesting aerodynamics at play. I was thinking something like a basket tray so the airflow would pass through. The cups can be glued down and the actors taking them off can be cheated with a closer shot taking them off the tray whilst suspending drone by hand out of shot I'm thinking.

If there are cups, then you have to glue them down. You can just create some kind of hook system that attaches directly on the legs/landing gear. Also, turn off vps. I think you can do it! Make sure the weight isn't too light. The p4p can handle some weight ( I think it's rated somewhere around 2 lbs), so make sure to stack enough weight so that your setup doesn't dangle like crazy.

You can attach something like zipties on the landing gear so that whatever you attach in between the zipties doesn't slip.

Reactions: jimmybonsaville
Thanks Tml I appreciate your input. Ive had larger payloads in the past using bigger rigs but always outdoors and quite crudely done..boxes etc. This ones a little tricky being indoors and involves flying towards sitting people (prop guards on) and they take the cups off the drone/tray. Just trying to thing about the logistics and prop downwash etc.

Thanks Tml I appreciate your input. Ive had larger payloads in the past using bigger rigs but always outdoors and quite crudely done..boxes etc. This ones a little tricky being indoors and involves flying towards sitting people (prop guards on) and they take the cups off the drone/tray. Just trying to thing about the logistics and prop downwash etc.
Maybe you can still keep the cups glued on. You can just show people grabbing the cups and then cut to another scene where they are drinking it. It'll make things simpler.

Edit: I just read your other post, and it seems like you already have this idea down!

Here's an old video of mine...just skip to 0:42 to see it takeoff :

Maybe you use something like a landing gear and attach the tray once it's in the air.

Sounds like too complex of an airflow situation for an indoor shoot. Will this be done in a large studio with high ceilings for more room to hover and stabilize before entering the scene, or will it be in tight quarters? My suggestion as an alternative would be to do a little Hollywood magic. Hang whatever you need from beneath the drone, turn the props on (just so they are spinning with no real thrust), and "fly" it into the scene using a long pole and fishing line attached to the top center of the phantom. That would be much safer and easier to control. The super thin fishing line probably wouldn't be seen on film, but if it is and they have a budget the line could be digitally removed in post production. Just a suggestion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl