P4 Gimbal weakness?

Reaction score
As we all know the P3 gimbal was prone to sliding off it's pivot axis, ruining the camera cable and potentially other things in a minor crash. These gimbals are only held in place with a magnetic attraction, hence you can slide them off with a little pull, but you never want to do that because it ruins the camera cable. KillerRC and others made a Gimbal protector for the P3 to alleviate the problem, an aluminum milled replacement back cover to the gimbal that includes a retainer arm to prevent the gimbal from separating in the minor crash.

It appears the P4 will need one of these also, assuming DJI didn't do anything internally to prevent the gimbal from easily separating. I don't see any retaining arm that prevents separation. I'm wondering why DJI didn't address that issue, which seems to be a simple fix.

upload_2016-3-4_15-58-10.png

As we all know the P3 gimbal was prone to sliding off it's pivot axis, ruining the camera cable and potentially other things in a minor crash. These gimbals are only held in place with a magnetic attraction, hence you can slide them off with a little pull, but you never want to do that because it ruins the camera cable. KillerRC and others made a Gimbal protector for the P3 to alleviate the problem, an aluminum milled replacement back cover to the gimbal that includes a retainer arm to prevent the gimbal from separating in the minor crash.

It appears the P4 will need one of these also, assuming DJI didn't do anything internally to prevent the gimbal from easily separating. I don't see any retaining arm that prevents separation. I'm wondering why DJI didn't address that issue, which seems to be a simple fix.

View attachment 46044
You seem to be right. High tech company doesn't look at low tech fixes :)

It is promoting anciliaries :)

Which brings me to the post I started where they should have used the inspire design instead of making the old design more streamlined.

Seems the ribbon cable is MORE exposed on the P4 also... The potential repair revenue must be
in the bazillions... From a different perspective, the UAV, like most aircraft, manned or otherwise aren't
designed to crash, they're designed to fly. Crashing is outside the parameters of normal operation. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl