P4 Bag Searched at Newark (EWR) Airport Security

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know my travel experience so far while traveling with my P4.

When I flew out of ORD a couple weeks ago I didn't have any issues getting through security. At that time I only had one battery which was in the P4. The P4 and everything else were in the stock foam box inside of a small carry on.

I just got through security at EWR and my bag was taken for a more thorough check. The only thing different this time is the airport in addition to extra batteries I bought while I was in NYC. I had 2 batteries in the storage spots in the foam container as well as one in the P4.

All in all, it wasn't a major hold up but just wanted to let everyone know how my experience went.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I fly all over the West, mostly on Southwest and Alaska Air. I rarely get delayed at security. In the last year, over about 16 flights, I think only once have they done the swab test with my Phantom backpack, that was at LAX. The backpack usually goes right through the scanner, like my briefcase, no problem, no questions.

Only taken mine once, I was well prepared, I had read all the rules and downloaded and printed the airlines guidance notes,taped over my battery contacts, discharged to 50% etc. There was zero interest at security. I have had more checks on my laptop.
One worry for me using the budget airlines is that they sometimes stop you at the steps on to the aircraft and take your hand luggage off you to go in the hold, this would then prompt a discussion about the fact that our batteries are prohibited hold luggage, and I would not like to have this conversation,15 minutes before take off.
So get there early to the gate before the hand luggage lockers fill up.

Only taken mine once, I was well prepared, I had read all the rules and downloaded and printed the airlines guidance notes,taped over my battery contacts, discharged to 50% etc. There was zero interest at security. I have had more checks on my laptop.
One worry for me using the budget airlines is that they sometimes stop you at the steps on to the aircraft and take your hand luggage off you to go in the hold, this would then prompt a discussion about the fact that our batteries are prohibited hold luggage, and I would not like to have this conversation,15 minutes before take off.
So get there early to the gate before the hand luggage lockers fill up.
It's very important to know what kind of plane you are flying on when you book a flight. Some planes don't have overhead adequate to hold a standard 14X20X9" carry on bag. You can usually find that info in the airline site. These type planes are often found in the Northwest, prop planes that fly between Portland and Seattle. Some smaller RJs also have tiny overheads bins that are too small. In those cases you must be prepared to quickly pull the batteries out of the backpack and carry them on in a smaller bag, such as a briefcase, leather bag, or an appropriate LIPO bag. It's this reason I never bring my P4 with me when I'm forced to use a small plane. It's just not worth the hassle.

When flying Southwest, as long as you're in the A or B boarding groups, you shouldn't have any problem finding overhead bin space available for your backpack. I rarely get in the C boarding group, but last week I had to change my flight at the last minute and got C9, but I still found bin space, no problem. Lucky I guess.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
It's very important to know what kind of plane you are flying on when you book a flight. Some planes don't have overhead adequate to hold a standard 14X20X9" carry on bag.

Good to know John - thanks for posting that important info.

I fly all over the West, mostly on Southwest and Alaska Air. I rarely get delayed at security. In the last year, over about 16 flights, I think only once have they done the swab test with my Phantom backpack, that was at LAX. The backpack usually goes right through the scanner, like my briefcase, no problem, no questions.

John Locke, Next week we are flying to San Francisco (SFO) and in February we are flying to Costa Rica,
I've been debating if I should bring the P3P or the P4, most likely I am going to bring the P4.

Once you are inside the plane where do you store your AC, in the overhead bin or under the seat?.

Also if it came down to it, you could check the P4 but just hand carry the batteries separately onto the plane.

I am a little apprehensive to check in the P4, don't have the hard shell back pack.
You know how the luggage handlers are, they just throw luggage around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.