P3S vs Mavic Pro

Reaction score
I'll be totally upfront to say that I've only been flying my P3S since October 2016 and I have still tons to learn about flying and filming via drone, There, that's said! Now the main point: I am craving a Mavic Pro!

So, what say you? Crazy, stay with the P3S you noob? Or, go Mavic, girl, or go home!

Basically, is it premature for an inexperienced drone pilot like me to leap forward to a Mavic, if so, why, if not, why not?

I look forward to your comments.

Mavic would be easier than the P3S - its way more stable and has more sensors.

Photo wise - Its a close call - I got some great photos on the P3S - I get less detailed softer ones from the mavic? But it might be the poor winter light - will be another month or so until I can confirm...
Video - I shoot mostly in 2.7K video on the mavic - so both similar quality. Mavic can make very impressive 4K video as well though (once you remember to focus!)

Main thing though is the portability of the Mavic - means I can have it places I wouldn't have brought the p3s and the controller draws much less of a crowd which is getting more and more important as people are starting get get more hostile to drones here....
In Europe, the short range of the P3S is a big issue - you need boosters to get over 200m in some wifi congested areas - not so with the mavic, you can fly to full legal range with no issues at all.

Do you find the need to focus a hassle?

yeah a little - Just another thing to remember - it wasn't necessary on the P3 or P4 - I don't know why suddenly they had do this on the Mavic - but if you forget to do it all the video you have taken is blury - Many of my first videos are of cool stuff all out of focus - but I've gotten used to it now.

My guess is that because the Mavic's lens is narrower and wider, it’s depth of field is smaller, hence the need for focus.

One issue I see with the Mavic is the lack of manual ATTI mode.

I am waiting for the Mavic 2 (if I can keep controlling myself :)

Disclaimer: While I am a very experienced photographer, I am a brand new drone pilot, so take my comments accordingly.

My guess is that because the Mavic's lens is narrower and wider, it’s depth of field is smaller, hence the need for focus.

One issue I see with the Mavic is the lack of manual ATTI mode.

I am waiting for the Mavic 2 (if I can keep controlling myself :)

Disclaimer: While I am a very experienced photographer, I am a brand new drone pilot, so take my comments accordingly.
Good points, Asal. I am wondering if I'll have the self control to wait for a Mavic 2 as well.

yeah a little - Just another thing to remember - it wasn't necessary on the P3 or P4 - I don't know why suddenly they had do this on the Mavic - but if you forget to do it all the video you have taken is blury - Many of my first videos are of cool stuff all out of focus - but I've gotten used to it now.

How does the focusing work? Is it through the app or manually done?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj