P3s range, sorry if its been asked a million times

Reaction score
So here is a question about range, flying over open and with minimal interference with a totally stock P3s, if you remove the limits on the app what sort of range should you get in metres

loads of threads on this subject, and many different answers. The distance varies considerably too. I get about 750 meters.

Reactions: apollo64
65509b83e3ee4bc117d75cba4729f016.jpg

P3S with a cheap windsurfer over WiFi free farm land.

I take it the windsurfer is the plastic half can with copper reflector

Reactions: Newbieguy
This answer has been also given a million times, but I'll repeat it anyways: the P3S adjusts its transmitter power automatically based on the region where it's flying, to be compliant with local regulations. Advertised range, in optimal conditions, is 500m in CE mode, 1000m in FCC mode. Many go well beyond these limits, others don't get even close.
If you really want to know how your specific unit performs, the only real test is to try.

2,165m, bone stock out of the box.

All the details are in one of the aforementioned bazillion threads on this but I just love saying it! [emoji6]

2,165m, bone stock out of the box.

All the details are in one of the aforementioned bazillion threads on this but I just love saying it! [emoji6]
2,165 meters!?! 1.21 jiggawatts!?!

Reactions: Oso
This answer has been also given a million times, but I'll repeat it anyways: the P3S adjusts its transmitter power automatically based on the region where it's flying, to be compliant with local regulations. Advertised range, in optimal conditions, is 500m in CE mode, 1000m in FCC mode. Many go well beyond these limits, others don't get even close.
If you really want to know how your specific unit performs, the only real test is to try.

So its a case of turning of the limit in the app and then sending it out with a full battery, till the failsafe kicks in, keeping an eye on the displayed distance

So its a case of turning of the limit in the app and then sending it out with a full battery, till the failsafe kicks in, keeping an eye on the displayed distance

Except you forgot the part about crossing your fingers & toes, and saying a little prayer.

Actually that’s exactly what I did. Straight line, over water, middle of nowhere. Tends to work better at higher altitudes.

And don’t forget to screen record or take a screenshot! Makes a great memory...

Basically, yes. If you're running a stock setup, you will have plenty of battery to do this test and safely come back, so you don't have to worry about that. Just be careful and aware of your surroundings, and go in a remote location where you have a clear airspace (at those distances, your AC will be just a dot in the sky). Before you do anything, familiarize with the RTH feature of the P3S and understand what to expect and how to react if you lose the video/telemetry feed before control signal, and vice-versa. When you go for your test, double-check that the Home Point gets properly recorded at startup and - should you panic - remember that the best option is just to turn OFF your RC (and let RTH do its work).

Thanks for all the replies.......i dont see me actually doing a range test any time soon as most of my flying is close up stuff and i like to keep line of sight, but maybe in time i might push it a bit.....i had thought about selling the P3s and getting the P3se but i dont want 4k camera and dont see me getting benefit from the extra range

...i had thought about selling the P3s and getting the P3se but i dont want 4k camera and dont see me getting benefit from the extra range

Exactly how I feel about the P3S. It’s very capable, and given the direction things seem to be going with restrictions, I’m happy that the P3S gives me more than enough.

Exactly how I feel about the P3S. It’s very capable, and given the direction things seem to be going with restrictions, I’m happy that the P3S gives me more than enough.
Well said sir, its a great bit of kit for the price, 500m is plenty for nearly all situations

Reactions: jwmcgrath
One precaution nobody has mentioned is the wind. Sure, you can take it out and let the RTH kick in ... but that doesn't mean it will make it back - IF there is any wind and you started off downwind. To the best of my knowledge the RTH doesn't know anything about wind conditions, and it may take a whole lot longer to come back than it did to get there if you are coming back flying into the wind.

What is the best way to test the RTH if the connection to the controller is lost. I want to fly it up a bit and turn off the controller to test it but afraid it will just drop from the sky. Can i do this type of test say 10ft off the ground the first time or does it have to be at a certain height.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl