P3S, need some advice with the recent price drop

Reaction score
I'm really tempted to get this deal. $650 for a P3S, extra battery and case is pretty good. I'm really torn though. I was originally planning on getting a P3A or maybe another model, such as the Yuneec Typhoon H and was ready to spend more money, albeit down the road a couple months, but I feel this is a pretty sweet deal to test out more how I like the hobby (I'm using a Syma X8C as practice right now). I might still upgrade sometime down the road but what are your thoughts? Buy this and maybe upgrade to a P4 or equivalent in Novemver or maybe later of this year or wait till April-July and get a Typhoon H, P3A/P, GoPro Karma, or P4?

I would spend the $799 on a P3A instead. No extra battery or case, but you'll get much better range with the Lightbridge & the better controller. You'll ultimately wind up spending the difference trying to get the P3S to match the out-of-the-box range of the Advanced.

I don't think I am worried about range that much, not planning on going miles out. Plus, if I do, I would probably be wanting a P4 in November. Does the P3S have more fly away issues than the lightbridge models? Also, what's the controller difference?

Trust me you will be worried about range once you get it & realize you passed up on an out-of-the-box system that would have given you 3.1 miles or more in a clean environment.

Very few of any of the Phantoms "fly away."

The P3P/P3A controller is much more sophisticated that the one included with the P3S with dedicated record, shutter, camera controls, etc. Go to DJI's site and look at the various models & you can see both. The new P3 4K has a controller that looks almost identical to the one included with the P3P/P3A but it is 5.8 Ghz with a 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi video link. At $799 (sale price) the P3 4K is the same price as an Advanced. Yes it has 4K cam but 1.2 KM range vs 5KM.

I don't think I am worried about range that much, not planning on going miles out. Plus, if I do, I would probably be wanting a P4 in November. Does the P3S have more fly away issues than the lightbridge models? Also, what's the controller difference?

Trust me you will be worried about range once you get it & realize you passed up on an out-of-the-box system that would have given you 3.1 miles or more in a clean environment.

The P3P/P3A controller is much more sophisticated that the one included with the P3S with dedicated record, shutter, camera controls, etc. Go to DJI's site and look at the various models & you can see both. The new P3 4K has a controller that looks almost identical to the one included with the P3P/P3A but it is 5.8 Ghz with a 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi video link. At $799 (sale price) the P3 4K is the same price as an Advanced. Yes it has 4K cam but 1.2 KM range vs 5KM.
If I go that route, I would get the P3A, that was what I was planning on for a while but what keeps getting me is that the P3S gets in at a really nice price point. At $799, I will probably rather wait a couple months for when I will actually have time to use it and get a P3A/P, Karma, Typhoon H (well, maybe not that) or see what's in store for the P4 which could be coming soon.

Did I mention, I already got the buy off from the fiance for a P3S at this package price? That itself might be reason enough to get it haha

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I guess I'll see if I can find some sort of bundle deal that I could upsell to her. Might be tough making the $300 argument.

I'm really tempted to get this deal. $650 for a P3S, extra battery and case is pretty good. I'm really torn though. I was originally planning on getting a P3A or maybe another model, such as the Yuneec Typhoon H and was ready to spend more money, albeit down the road a couple months, but I feel this is a pretty sweet deal to test out more how I like the hobby (I'm using a Syma X8C as practice right now). I might still upgrade sometime down the road but what are your thoughts? Buy this and maybe upgrade to a P4 or equivalent in Novemver or maybe later of this year or wait till April-July and get a Typhoon H, P3A/P, GoPro Karma, or P4?
d6ce0fd35a6f1cc7893f7b3e262e66fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI hasn't announced a p4 or have they? Does that not undermine the inspire market?

Cant beat the price of the standard. If you are going to upgrade the P3A is the way to go.

Hey man, I got the P3S standard a month back for $499 no extras. I used jet.com for 8% cashback.

Anyways, I wish I had gotten a more robust system (the advanced) but for the price tag and given that another college semester starts soon -- it's fine getting the cheaper version now and upgrading down the road.

Also, if you're into dealing with customer service and saving a buck, that $650 deal was $599 a two days ago and they know it. If you could get customer service to give you a discount/refund for the $50 once you order it, it would allow you to apply the 8% cashback.

I'm also planning on upgrading later on to an advanced (probably cheaper by then) or a P4 if I find a sweet deal.

I got one and range is no issue also think about how the faa says line of sight in the next year I bet it will be a issue that could end in fines

If this is your first quad, I'd go with the Standard. When you're ready to upgrade, it's very likely that the P4 will be out.

I'm guessing this price drop is due to a forthcoming announcement of a new model in the near future. $200 off is quite a bit if it's "just because"

Thanks guys, I'm still going to do some research and contact some resellers. I wish they could make the same package for the P3A. I might be able to up sell that. This would be my first nice quad, I've been trying to start out cautiously with it. I'll also try seeing if they will price match it down. That extra $50 would be too good.

Hey man, I got the P3S standard a month back for $499 no extras. I used jet.com for 8% cashback.

Anyways, I wish I had gotten a more robust system (the advanced) but for the price tag and given that another college semester starts soon -- it's fine getting the cheaper version now and upgrading down the road.

Also, if you're into dealing with customer service and saving a buck, that $650 deal was $599 a two days ago and they know it. If you could get customer service to give you a discount/refund for the $50 once you order it, it would allow you to apply the 8% cashback.

I'm also planning on upgrading later on to an advanced (probably cheaper by then) or a P4 if I find a sweet deal.

I talked to one guy with no luck. What the jet deal? Never used their site.

I talked to one guy with no luck. What the jet deal? Never used their site.
You're in luck (kinda). You can get the P3A for $749 from Jet.com - using their 15NOW coupon code for first time buyers (max $50 savings). They ship really fast, and are like Amazon. My first purchase from Jet I was able to get two batteries for ~ $106 each. They seem to be out of stock on the P3S.

Link: Jet.com

I like the long range stuff so for me the increased range afforded by Lightbridge is an important consideration. Aircraft performance & camera-wise, the P3S is virtually indistinguishable from the P3A. You are getting an updated Vision+ for $499 & that is quite a deal. As I said I may pick up a Standard while they are on sale just for riskier long-range Ground Station missions.

I guess I'll see if I can find some sort of bundle deal that I could upsell to her. Might be tough making the $300 argument.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl