P3S antenna inputs

Reaction score
I've had my P3S for a couple of months now and have learned a bit, but you could write a big book about the things I still don't know. My question of the day is about the 2.4ghz antenna inputs to the controller board in the RC. Are they meant to combine two antennas in phase, are they two separate circuits, or maybe some other option?
Thanks,
Eddie

I know the p3 has a transmit and receive antennas. The grey and black wires from the quad to the gimbal.
I've not been inside the quad, so haven't seen any of the wiring there. I did add the argtek antennas to the controller the other day so saw a bit of that layout. I was guessing that the two 2.4 ghz inputs were combined on the circuit board, and they may be, but I noticed that the input cables were not the same length which made me question whether the signals would be in phase with each other. Of course I have no idea how things are routed on the board so difference in cable length may be just what's needed to put them in phase, it that's needed. I bet someone out there knows.

I've not been inside the quad, so haven't seen any of the wiring there. I did add the argtek antennas to the controller the other day so saw a bit of that layout. I was guessing that the two 2.4 ghz inputs were combined on the circuit board, and they may be, but I noticed that the input cables were not the same length which made me question whether the signals would be in phase with each other. Of course I have no idea how things are routed on the board so difference in cable length may be just what's needed to put them in phase, it that's needed. I bet someone out there knows.
The black and grey wires go each to it's own position on each side of the battery housing, terminating in a round disk. Very similar to what is in the remote.

The video (2.4) antennas are redundant. They both do the same thing, and the AC only uses one at a time. I learned this from PhantomPilots.com [emoji4]. The Rc switches back and forth, and uses whichever antenna is getting the strongest signal. The 5.8 antennas on the AC do the same thing.
I bought amps to go on the 2.4 and 5.8 antennas of the RC, and only bought one for each. It works fine. The one thing that caught me off guard is that, when I turn on the amps, the light on the 2.4 flickers. I think it’s because of the switching back and forth. I had thought that, once the RC sensed the stronger antenna, it would stick with that one. Hmm.

it is called diversity, the p3 remote will choose the best and change automatically from time to time, they are not redundant but you can do with removing 1 antenna as the rc will only use the other, not so for the ones on the airframe, as they both transmit together

Sounds redundant to me, lol.
What you describe as diversity seems to operate the same as what I understood to be called redundant. I don’t want to get caught up in syntax, just repeating what I’ve learned here.
The flickering I mentioned makes me believe the RC is checking for signal on each 2.4g antenna many times per second, because the light that flickers on my amp only lights if there is a source signal.
The 5.8g light is steady.

Redundancy implies a back-up function should the primary fail.

In the parlance of radio engineering diversity is not redundancy.

Diversity, in this case, describes multiple active devices each being sampled for the strongest signal. It combats multi-path loss since each antenna is in a time, space, or polarization that's diverse from it's peers thus the strongest signal at any given time is utilized.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brother Dave

Diversity, in this case, describes multiple active devices each being sampled for the strongest signal. It combats multi-path loss since each antenna is in a time, space, or polarization that's diverse from it's peers thus the strongest signal at any given time is achieved.
Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Diversity, in this case, describes multiple active devices each being sampled for the strongest signal. It combats multi-path loss since each antenna is in a time, space, or polarization that's diverse from it's peers thus the strongest signal at any given time is achieved.

Thank you! I did not know that, and am obviously not an engineer, lol.
Do you know if the flickering of my 2.4g amp light is due to sampling?

it is called diversity, the p3 remote will choose the best and change automatically from time to time, they are not redundant but you can do with removing 1 antenna as the rc will only use the other, not so for the ones on the airframe, as they both transmit together
That's why I purchased a 2.4 amp with 2 inputs and 2 outputs because I was never sure. I also have a 5.8 amp.

Thank you! I did not know that, and am obviously not an engineer, lol.
Do you know if the flickering of my 2.4g amp light is due to sampling?

Yeah, mine works well, just wondering about the flicker. I may go ahead and get the other amp. They’re only $24.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen