P3P - shimmer on video

Reaction score
For the last few videos as I fly forward / yaw etc. - I get a strange shimmering on the video as if there is a cellophane sheet across the lens .... the subject being video'd appears steady ...

First I thought it was maybe a rubber gimbal mount split ... no. Then maybe sun catching blades strange at angle causing reflection into lens .... don't think so.

I checked props for balance / chips / marks etc. .... perfect nothing.

From about 0:50 secs onwards for short intervals you just make out shimmering particularly down the right hand side of the video ... which actually is the side sun is shining from .. so it may just be combo of camera setting and sun ??

Just to re-iterate ... I checked gimbal, props, camera ... so interested ....

Nigel

I see what ur seeing but it looks totally normal to me. Looks to me its just white clouds reflecting off the water and ur camera settings might be just at that point where it appears to shimmer. Doesnt look like theres anything abnormal to me

Hum, Where is a shot of it min-sec while your over the water, all I have seen is the prop shadows.

Rod

Nigel, it looks like prop shadows to me.

I know what prop effect looks like ... but this is near transparent ... it seemed to change with change of action. But definitely this video seemed to only come from the direction of the sun. Worst is that part when passing the trees in the garden ... later is not so obvious.

I have never had it like this before until the last 3 or 4 videos.

The subject in the video is dead steady - so it cannot be camera moving ... there's no jello either.... its just shimmering between camera and subject....

Nigel

At 1:11,
There looks like a round blob (disorted view) takes up most of the tree just over the three stumps.

Like it would be the size of water drop on the lens. Is that it?

Rod

Looks like prop shadow to me too. It is more prevalent when in the sun and disappears in the shadows. It increases when accelerating (change of pitch) and goes away completely when you turn away from the sun and tilt the camera down. This can be mitigated. Jello is the killer.

Reactions: CANEKiTA and 3rdof5
I have a lens shade ... I own a 3D printer ... so easy to run one up.

Winds are very strong today - so no chance to test ... will check and post back what I find.

I do consider it to be a sun + other matter ... no drops or marks on lens ...

That brings me to a question :

I have removed the screw on lens from my P3P before a number of times to clean and no problem. But this last time to clean - the 'glass' part came out of the screw ring with the thin black rubber gasket ... the gasket came away intact.
Putting the lens cover back ... I placed the black rubber first in the ring, then the 'glass' .. I could not get the gasket to sit round the glass as I expected .. I screwed it back on to camera ... it seems ok...

is that right ? or should that gasket be around the lens glass ?

Nigel

Putting the lens cover back ... I placed the black rubber first in the ring, then the 'glass' .. I could not get the gasket to sit round the glass as I expected .. I screwed it back on to camera ... it seems ok...

is that right ? or should that gasket be around the lens glass ?

Nigel

I think you've positioned the gasket correctly. I believe it's meant to be between the metal ring and the glass to hold the glass firmly and also to prevent the glass cracking in the event of overtightening (but only up to a point).

The gasket is supposed to go between the camera frame and the glass. When the cover is removed and placed on a surface face down, you should see the gasket. This is meant to keep the cover from loosening. As you screw the cover on to the camera, you can feel it gradually get tighter as it gets closer to it's extent.
Assembly should be metal ring->glass->gasket->camera frame.

I have had lenses come out of the metal ring on ND filters as well. Getting them back together without lint or dust (or dog fur) or fingerprints is a bit*ch.

I tried both ways ... glass first ... gasket first ... and the one that screwed up flush as normal was the glass first so maybe the gasket sits into the camera frame ?

I think that also the gasket when thinking about it holds the glass in when we remove the item ? I have to thank Mark for that insight.

Its funny in all the time owning the P3P and having removed that lens cover many times - its first time its come apart !!

Nigel

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I think I have a similar issue with this that only seems to occur when flying the drone at speed, i.e. take off to get some altitude and or faster movements forward, I was presuming it was sort of interference from the motor and affecting the camera, what I did was adjust my exponentials so the drone did not move so rapidly and much smoother, this did a lot to help the issue but it is still there if I still push the throttle hard, if its a calm day tomorrow I will try to upload some footage.

Watching this thread closely. Im extremely new to flying the P3 and I've already learned this model has some glitches/issues. Many of you have multiple drones and are old timers here, I'm not one of you. I love my P3P and owning multiple AC is not on my todo list anytime soon so obvs i want to take full advantage of the one AC I do own. I hope you all get this issue resolved and if it happens to me I'll know what to do. Cheers!

I now have a sun shade 'cone' on my lense .... so far so good. But it only occurs when conditions are so so ..

The shade - I 3D printed and it slips all way back to the camera body leaving just a couple of mm past the lense end. Its light and with it so far back - means balanced.

I can even still fit filters but then I would be concerned about combined weight ... so its cone or filters to be safe.

Nigel

I think I have a similar issue with this that only seems to occur when flying the drone at speed, i.e. take off to get some altitude and or faster movements forward, I was presuming it was sort of interference from the motor and affecting the camera, what I did was adjust my exponentials so the drone did not move so rapidly and much smoother, this did a lot to help the issue but it is still there if I still push the throttle hard, if its a calm day tomorrow I will try to upload some footage.
I have added the youtube link of my footage with the issue I am seeing, like I said it only seems to happen when the drone Is accelerating.

I have added the youtube link of my footage with the issue I am seeing, like I said it only seems to happen when the drone Is accelerating.
Are you looking for confirmation that its prop shadows? If so, yes it's prop shadows. A classic example in fact.

Agreed its simply prop wash. Otherwise the video looks to me to be normal.

Are you looking for confirmation that its prop shadows? If so, yes it's prop shadows. A classic example in fact.
Thanks for your help there Oso, I’m glad its only prop shadows!, new set of polar pro filters on order already. Thanks again all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94