P3P, new batteries now paperweights l

Reaction score
I bought a wrecked P3 Pro a couple years ago, and rebuilt it completely. It flew beautifully until a firmware upgrade turned two new batteries into paperweights. They shipped in DJI boxes, but the controller spits out an error message of non-intelligent battery detected, flight prevent. This is a DJI proprietary screw job. The drone is no longer under warranty, so if a battery is deemed to have caused an accident, the maker of that battery is liable, assuming that the fault is a defect in material or workmanship.
This problem has been deliberately caused by DJI, to force users to pay extra money for their overpriced OEM batteries. Why doesn’t anyone come up with a firmware fix for this???
Meanwhile, I have useless hunks of expensive junk, thanks to DJI’s corporate greed.
Class action lawsuit, anybody. Better yet, DJI could do the right thing and correct the issue THEY created.
Any ideas, folks????
Thanks

The "after market" batterys were sent in Dji Boxes?.......am i reading this thread of yours right.......If so you should have reported that to who ever you got them from....I rarely have read about any one here using after market Non Dji batterys and had a issue with them not being able to use them......many wait till the years warranty is over and use them because IF a warranty drone crashes because of a Non Dji battery issue....they will not fix it as the serial numbers of the OEM Dji batterys are recorded in the internal files in the drone...

I don’t remember where I bought these batteries. It was most likely eBay or Amazon. My drone is out of warranty, so I wouldn’t expect DJI to fix it if it crashes. The thing is built like a cheap toy. The shell is held together by tiny hex screws— that snap off toothpick thin pegs in the body.
There are serial numbers on the boxes, so I should probably call DJI and ask where they came from.....

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
The batteries DO NOT work☹️
OK how can firmware update kill 2 Batts, should only take at the most not even halve batt to do firmware,now you have 2 ,,do you get any lights on batt when pressed and held for 5 sec, does anything light up when trying to turn batt on out of drone,,did these batt work on first go or been dead from day 1,,I'm almost thinking hybination mode but wait till you press and hold for 5 to see how many lights come on,4 very good,3 ok,2 getting tired or worn out,1 start looking for new batt,,,

The batteries hold a full charge. It was a firmware upgrade into which DJI wrote programming to detect a non OEM battery, and prevent the drone from flying if it isn’t one of theirs. Nothing is wrong with the batteries. Before the update both worked perfectly.
The firmware update didn’t kill the batteries. It prevents the drone from taking off.

Class action- LOL.... Did anyone manage to force the inkjet printer manufacturers to make their products work with third party cartridges? Your kidding yourself. Yes it’s frustrating the packs won’t fly but it’s your problem unfortunately unless perhaps the battery suppliers might provide a refund. Guessing time is against you there.

Yeh if can't contact or get refund and are stuck with them you could try litchi app,it might let you fly being 3rd party app,,it is good though

Litchi is a great app, way superior to DJI GO, but guess what? These batteries don’t work with Litchi, either. I get the same **** error, flight prevented, and my drone will not take off.
Perhaps there’s another flight app that will eliminate this problem. I’d also love [emoji173]️ to see Litchi for 3DR, Yuneec, and walkera drones...

Oh man that just sux,there is couple dji apps ultimate flight was one I tryed ,since you getting same warning it always be like that,double bummer,I know you can roll back firmware by holding down 3 black lines top right of home screen but unsure if this would cure it or make it worse but worth a try and then again in saying bad idea cause they could bring your drone in flight,might have to get that credit card out,,good luck ,,,have to log out but be back

I bought a wrecked P3 Pro a couple years ago, and rebuilt it completely. It flew beautifully until a firmware upgrade turned two new batteries into paperweights. They shipped in DJI boxes, but the controller spits out an error message of non-intelligent battery detected, flight prevent. This is a DJI proprietary screw job. The drone is no longer under warranty, so if a battery is deemed to have caused an accident, the maker of that battery is liable, assuming that the fault is a defect in material or workmanship.
This problem has been deliberately caused by DJI, to force users to pay extra money for their overpriced OEM batteries. Why doesn’t anyone come up with a firmware fix for this???
Meanwhile, I have useless hunks of expensive junk, thanks to DJI’s corporate greed.
Class action lawsuit, anybody. Better yet, DJI could do the right thing and correct the issue THEY created.
Any ideas, folks????
Thanks

It seems like you have 2 different issues if I can read between the lines. Did you get 2 new batteries and then try to install a firmware update and now your phantom will not fly?

I bought 2 new batteries and they worked very well until I downloaded a firmware upgrade. After this, they stopped working, giving the error message. DJI. created the problem by writing a silent shaft into the upgrade that disables the drone if it detects a non-OEM battery being used.

Litchi is a great app, way superior to DJI GO, but guess what? These batteries don’t work with Litchi, either. I get the same **** error, flight prevented, and my drone will not take off.
Perhaps there’s another flight app that will eliminate this problem. I’d also love [emoji173]️ to see Litchi for 3DR, Yuneec, and walkera drones...

It is not the APP that prevents flight with such batterys - its the actual on-board FW itself.

To be honest - you are extremely unlucky because in fact VERY FEW non DJI batterys do not work ... MOST actually do.

Before giving up .......... get some Plastic Safe contact cleaner.... spray the smaller contacts in the battery housing and on the side of the battery ... with cotton swabs give them a good clean. It may be bad contact of the telemetry / data contacts.

Nigel

Just a thought, the lipo cells themselves should be the same, would it not be possible to put swap them with worn out ones in another actual true dji battery?

Just a thought, the lipo cells themselves should be the same, would it not be possible to put swap them with worn out ones in another actual true dji battery?
It is the LiPO cells that are likely the biggest determining factor of reliability and performance so this would probably be a waste of time- just fly the aftermarket pack.

It is the LiPO cells that are likely the biggest determining factor of reliability and performance so this would probably be a waste of time- just fly the aftermarket pack.
Well here's my take on it... it sounds like they actually are aftermarket batteries and its the control board now fails the genuine intelligent battery test. The cells themselves don't come into it. They should work with a genuine control board from dji. As i understand it he cant fly with them at all as they are.

Well here's my take on it... it sounds like they actually are aftermarket batteries and its the control board now fails the genuine intelligent battery test. The cells themselves don't come into it. They should work with a genuine control board from dji. As i understand it he cant fly with them at all as they are.
The cells are the same physical dimensions so yes it is possible to perform the suggested transplant. You may need to swap the balance tap connector also, the main wires won’t be an issue as they as soldered directly to the PCB.

The cells are the same physical dimensions so yes it is possible to perform the suggested transplant. You may need to swap the balance tap connector also, the main wires won’t be an issue as they as soldered directly to the PCB.
Well as he said the batteries worked fine before the last fw update so clearly its the same balance circuitry cuz it worked already, as the OP said all was well until the last update and now its not recognized as a valid battery. The fix is the true dji board on those cells. Only question is, would the 5 second power button press still show the battery as depleted.

It is the same battery management circuitry- BQ30Z55 battery management controller and MSP430G2755 MCU (the implementation is basically the Texas Instruments reference design). I mentioned that balance connector as while the aftermarket board will implement the balance tap monitoring and balancing the same way the physical connector may be different.

It is the same battery management circuitry- BQ30Z55 battery management controller and MSP430G2755 MCU (the implementation is basically the Texas Instruments reference design). I mentioned that balance connector as while the aftermarket board will implement the balance tap monitoring and balancing the same way the physical connector may be different.
Agreed the circuitry is the same but the connection may need to adapted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20