P3P Fire at IMU Calibration - Major Damage

Mon
I agree with this. I would have done a video of the event and
not be looking for tools to take it apart. Having my face over a burning lipo is not what I would have done.
Monte55. Show me where I had my face over a Lipo. I missed that part, Different beeps coming from one of the motors and leaning over the drone to find which motor was beeping. POOF. Were you describing the part where the fire already started and the 0.25 second jerk back to get away? Yes...quarter of a second or less spent leaning over a Lipo. Others in the group. My first post...are people this cynical and bitter through this entire group?Grab the video camera when you are burned and getting the drone to where you can grab it and put it in the yard? You can't be serious with this thinking. If you are, this is not the place for me. Thanks to the people who read my story and WTH to the people who think I'm finding a way to burn circuit boards through plastic.

Reactions: Mr DroneNut
Had smoke coming out my P3 on an update. Put the micro SD card in with firmware and turned the P3 on. Smoke came from it right away. I just grabbed the P3 and pulled the battery. Only damage I could see was to the cable leading to the camera had melted. Sent it to the shop dealer for repair. Seems fine now.

Mon

Monte55. Show me where I had my face over a Lipo. I missed that part, Different beeps coming from one of the motors and leaning over the drone to find which motor was beeping. POOF. Were you describing the part where the fire already started and the 0.25 second jerk back to get away? Yes...quarter of a second or less spent leaning over a Lipo. Others in the group. My first post...are people this cynical and bitter through this entire group?Grab the video camera when you are burned and getting the drone to where you can grab it and put it in the yard? You can't be serious with this thinking. If you are, this is not the place for me. Thanks to the people who read my story and WTH to the people who think I'm finding a way to burn circuit boards through plastic.

I would just ignore any comments off the topic.

Since you can't lock your own posts you have to endure the public scrutiny and judgement found here.

This is just a microcosm of humanity so there's all type of people here too.

Had smoke coming out my P3 on an update. Put the micro SD card in with firmware and turned the P3 on. Smoke came from it right away. I just grabbed the P3 and pulled the battery. Only damage I could see was to the cable leading to the camera had melted. Sent it to the shop dealer for repair. Seems fine now.
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'm going to pull my post. People don't get under my skin but when you had a very weird event that just happened and break your rule of sharing (not something I do) and unhappy people chime in...not something I want to waste time with. Thought I could help someone keep an eye out. Was an IMU calibration. More "don't believe his story" comments than "IMU? I've left the drone alone in a room IMU-ing so many times it's not funny.

Pulling a post doesn't change anything and you have added to the anecdotal experience database.

I would just ignore any comments off the topic.

Since you can't lock your own posts you have to endure the public scrutiny and judgement found here.

This is just a microcosm of humanity so there's all type of people here too.
10-4. :) Thought so but looking at the ratio and man...

Yea... we may be a bit lopsided.

Pulling a post doesn't change anything and you have added to the anecdotal experience database.
Understood. It's more for me having my IN box fill up from unhappy people. Other opinions are needed to have a well rounded view. Fully get that. Flip side is before the issue, the drone would stay put at an unbelievable tolerance. Tested it in 25+ MPH winds in an open area and while it was listing heavy, it stayed in a plus or minus the length of my hand. Was impressive. Vimeo-ed some video and a lot of deer spotting. Think 8 or so feet is about as close as I could get to deer before the prop wash was enough to make them scatter. Very happy until recently with the drone.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I will be sure to keep a close eye on my P3 while calibrating.
I would want to open my P3 to inspect the damage also.

Mon

Monte55. Show me where I had my face over a Lipo. I missed that part, Different beeps coming from onethat'sthe motors and leaning over the drone to find which motor was beeping. POOF. Were you describing the part where the fire already started and the 0.25 second jerk back to get away? Yes...quarter of a second or less spent leaning over a Lipo. Others in the group. My first post...are people this cynical and bitter through this entire group?Grab the video camera when you are burned and getting the drone to where you can grab it and put it in the yard? You can't be serious with this thinking. If you are, this is not the place for me. Thanks to the people who read my story and WTH to the people who think I'm finding a way to burn circuit boards through plastic.
I never saw a video. I was only saying that if something was burning in my home, my first thought is to get it out. Not spend the time to take it apart if thats what happened. Im just going by what I read. Not trying to rain on your parade. No offense intended. Sorry this happened.

25 mph winds 8 feet close to a deer karma is a real *****

I never saw a video. I was only saying that if something was burning in my home, my first thought is to get it out. Not spend the time to take it apart if thats what happened. Im just going by what I read. Not trying to rain on your parade. No offense intended. Sorry this happened.
All goodMonte55. Agreed...no fooling around when this all happened. Pushed it into the sink. Covered it up. Got the fire out and so I could grab it and out the door. Dealing with the smoldering was later and maybe that's not clear in my original post. Think it may look like I was taking it apart while it was burning and not the case. Felt like I was badly burned but as the case with anything that is freaky, calm down, check it out and only two burned areas. Agreed at the point a bunch of people may differ on what to do. Leave it for two days to make sure it's out and then box it up. That's prob the smartest thing to do. Me? I still wanted to know why the inside part of the drone was on fire and not the plastic outside. Scorch and burn marks through the middle but slight smoke still present and the fact that we couldn't see it said "open it".

Reactions: dirtybum
25 mph winds 8 feet close to a deer karma is a real *****
:) Calibrating it. Not after a flight, in between flights, or in flight. Normal IMU start. Karma might be it. Day after Christmas, I buzzed a local public (nice public) golf course and great footage. P3P's have no sound but you could see two golfers looking up at the drone and mouthing something. Bet F's and more F's coming out. Passed over a massive group of Ducks on the same deer trip. Won't hover over those guys as they might take flight and I'm a pet / animal person. Might be animal and golfer Karma that just took place. My face feeling most of it.

All goodMonte55. Agreed...no fooling around when this all happened. Pushed it into the sink. Covered it up. Got the fire out and so I could grab it and out the door. Dealing with the smoldering was later and maybe that's not clear in my original post. Think it may look like I was taking it apart while it was burning and not the case. Felt like I was badly burned but as the case with anything that is freaky, calm down, check it out and only two burned areas. Agreed at the point a bunch of people may differ on what to do. Leave it for two days to make sure it's out and then box it up. That's prob the smartest thing to do. Me? I still wanted to know why the inside part of the drone was on fire and not the plastic outside. Scorch and burn marks through the middle but slight smoke still present and the fact that we couldn't see it said "open it".
Yep...we ok

DroneZone,

It looks to me you reacted very conscientious. I would not be to worried about DJI. This was clearly a case of emergency. Afterwards it is always easier to say what you should have or shouldn't have done.

About pulling this post and people getting under your skin: don't take it to personal.
For me English is not my native language. One advantages is that sometime sarcasme completely passes me. ;)

We are all very interested to find out how your problems were solved. Maybe some of us can even help you or learn from your experience. This is the true added value of this forum.

Good luck!

Any fire in a P3 is going to be electrical, at least at first. Remove the power source, fire goes out. If you ever have anything like this happen, removing the battery is the most logical response other than reaching for a fire extinguisher if you can't get to the battery. It may smoulder for a bit, but the source of the fire will be gone once the battery is removed.

A burning lipo is a whole other thing but the OP was very clear this was not what he was seeing so I don't know why you'd even bring that up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.