P3P camera vs Inspire

Reaction score
Hi,
I am very interested in the new P3 after owning a couple of P2's
I thought I read that the P3P camera was the same as the Inspire but apparently it is not.
It seems the still picture file size from a P3P is smaller by a good amount than the exact same photo from an Inspire thus indication less detail. Can someone comment on this as I am confused once again.

Tom

Identical.

P3P:
Sensor
Sony EXMOR 1/2.3” Effective pixels: 12.4 M (total pixels: 12.76 M)
Lens
FOV 94° 20 mm (35 mm format equivalent) f/2.8, focus at ∞
ISO Range
100-3200 (video) 100-1600 (photo)
Shutter Speed
8s -1/8000s
Image Max Size
4000 x 3000

Inspire:
Total Pixels
12.76M
Effective Pixels
12.4M
Image Max Size
4000x3000
ISO Range
100-3200 (video)
100-1600 (photo)
Electronic Shutter Speed
8s - 1/8000s
FOV (Field of View)
94°
CMOS
Sony EXMOR 1/2.3”

I noticed that too but the fact is that the file size for the exact same shot on the inspire is noticeably larger than that of the P3P.
I wonder if DJI has downgraded the P3P camera S/W from the Inspire in some way to keep their flagship still better that the P3P?

I was trying to find the post on another forum but can't at the moment find it.
The author, whom was very knowledgeable and had both machines, did a test when I asked why he thought the stills looked better on the Inspire. Placed rigs side by side and took 12mp stills of the same scene side by side. Then switched positions as a double check and both times the Inspire was, something like 20% larger.

File sizes could vary in JPG mode and you would have to compare DNG files to see if there is any real difference.
So far there's no indication in the results that the P3 camera is inferior.

Reactions: Realtour Pro
It is possible that the sensor on the P3 camera is newer than the Inspire one and slightly better for still photographs.

This is what Dji say about the camera on the P3A

An enhanced sensor gives
you greater clarity, lower noise, and better pictures than any
previous flying camera.

Both sensor and image processor are the same. However, the firmware may be different. File sizes will vary by content but if they are consistently larger on one vs. the other that could indicate other differences.

Reactions: tcope
As I posted earlier the person I communicated with did a rather detailed test and claimed that the same image on the inspire is larger than the P3P and indeed he thought it looks sharper. My guess is the processing so as to keep the Inspire a bit above the P3P.
I will look for the post and give a link if I can find it again.

Interesting .. hard to see why he used the smaller format for the comparison since the P3 specs indicate it does 4000 x 3000.

His EXIF data shows that DJI have a different model number for the cameras. FC350 for Inspire vs FC 300 for P3.
They kept the same number for the P2V vs P2V+ even thought the cameras were very different on the outside.

Saw the one video of the guy in Hong Kong saying the Inspire's camera was "much" better. He's supposed to be some kind of "pro", but I'm thinking he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about it.

ETA: Trey Ratcliff is his name..................

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saw the one video of the guy in Hong Kong saying the Inspire's camera was "much" better. He's supposed to be some kind of "pro", but I'm thinking he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does about it.

ETA: Trey Ratcliff is his name..................

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wouldn't say that guy's a "power user", came across as just another halfway informed user.

I wouldn't say that guy's a "power user", came across as just another halfway informed user.
In the intro, the other guy was saying how he's worked for Discovery Channel and other television networks as a paid photographer and general imaging pro, for lack of a better word.

Saw the one video of the guy in Hong Kong saying the Inspire's camera was "much" better.
Much better than what?
That video came out on Feb 10, 2015, long before anyone had heard of the P3. Perhaps he was comparing to a P2 series - definitely not the P3.

btw .. Trey Ratcliff is pretty well regarded for his HDR photography.
His website is worth a look. There are some really stunning images.
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

Much better than what?
That video came out on Feb 10, 2015, long before anyone had heard of the P3. Perhaps he was comparing to a P2 series - definitely not the P3.

btw .. Trey Ratcliff is pretty well regarded for his HDR photography.
His website is worth a look. There are some really stunning images.
http://www.stuckincustoms.com/
Yes, he said much better than the Phantom. So he could very well have been talking about an earlier version.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers