P3A went into auto land mode due to battery

Yup, its amazing how fast batts go from 30% to 15 or 10... certainly much faster than from 50 to 30!

I prefer to use a $20 dollar rig called a "rod and reel" instead of a $500+ drone for fishing... but I can accurately cast. While I hate to say it, I can't help but laugh everytime I read about someone losing their expensive drone when doing stuff like that with it. Atleast put some floaties on it. I can't see how all that prop noise wouldn't run the fish off to start with. But, to each their own I suppose. Fish ON!!!

I'd rather be flying than fishing :cool:. I like to get my fish at a Restaurant, less work and seems to taste better.

I love to fly too... typically I'm on the sticks atleast 3 to 5 times a week. If you prefer restaraunt fish, I feel for ya... obviously you've never eaten fresh caught rainbow trout, crappie, or even bass. Try soaking fresh fillets in salt water over night sometime... takes all the funky out of em ;-) There is also a certain satisfaction in the catching. I release more than I keep tbh.

Now, back on topic. Lol

Go into your battery settings and set your low battery warning to 30% and critical to 17%. Before you do that see where they are now. What most likely happened is the you were close to your critical setting and it did an auto land due to a critical low battery level. When the battery is getting low it drops pretty quick. I have mine set to 30 and 17% and when I run my batteries down at the end of a flight what happened to you is what happens to me. When I get my low battery at 30% I bring it back to my landing area and then circle to discharge the battery. Also you use more power taking off than flying.

If you set Critical to 17% - you are raising the threshold of the Critical Auto-landing ...

It is generally forgotten that depending on how far from home - the Auto-Landing can initiate if the App decides battery is not sufficient to get all way home.

OK - just a few points :

"When I get my low battery at 30% I bring it back to my landing area and then circle to discharge the battery."

If you are at 30% - you ought to be at or near Home anyway - and 30% is a good level to store your battery if you fly regularly. I do not recc'd pushing that battery further along the discharge curve. Why run it further down ?

"Also you use more power taking off than flying"

Actually depends on speed you fly and manoeuvres. The Multi Rotor has no wing to provide lift during movement in flight - all movement is provided by rotors. Altering attitude / yawing / pitch / back / forward is by (de) accelerating one or more rotors ... simple sound is enough to tell you this.
The act of taking off is actually at a lesser % of full power than full flight speed, but more than hover. If it required more power for take-off - then the AC would actually lose height in flight movement due to variance of power to initiate movement as it has no wing to glide with. Movement is a combination of power to hover + increased power to one or more rotors to create the movement. The only time take-off is more power demand than flight is when flying slowly or in hover or in descent. But power demand jumps when you turn / slide / yaw.
Listen to your AC and you will hear that I am correct.

Just commenting.

Nigel

Battery power use, as the pack reduces in charge level, is faster.due to load.

People tend to forget that watts is the real factor in this and as the voltage drops on the pack - the amps go up to maintain watts. That means pack is being depleted faster and faster as it goes down.
As the pack goes down - you also get increased voltage drop - adding to the reduced voltage of the pack ... once you get to 30% - you can watch that line move quickly left as you that pack gets used up !

Nigel

Last edited:
I've had my p3s since the beginning of December, and the first month or so i had no idea about not draining the battery too low. I also used to take off from a tiny fenced off yard close real close to obstacles. I'd do mutiple small flights over a couple of days on one charge.

One time I took it out of the tiny yard with 20%. Anyway, things got hairy and i had to fight what seemed to be a very aggressive RTH. I was lucky to get it home without a crash and battery was 3 or 4% when it was safe on the ground and shutting down.

I did a lot of risky stuff early on and bird was lucky to survive all of it. My very 1st flight I thought i knew enough to fly except the GPS/ATTI toggle and it was a windy day. It got blown back, clipped a tree, then when it auto landed i made it tip over destroying two props!

Now I've learnt more off the forums and I'm a much better pilot. Let's hope it stays that way.

Last edited:
As per dji, batteries should be recalibrated every 16 cycles. Discharging the batteries to at least 8% will recalibrate them. Ran across this info recently. It’s on YouTube.

As per dji, batteries should be recalibrated every 16 cycles. Discharging the batteries to at least 8% will recalibrate them. Ran across this info recently. It’s on YouTube.
OK - let's (once more) open the great debate on this... :) The Pros and Cons of taking a Dji Battery to the 8% level to balance cells

Sorry, but some people here for whom I have great respect of their knowledge of all things 'droney' say that this is no longer recommended by DJI, nor is it necessary...

I, personally, have never done it (but I look after them in other ways :)) - and my batteries still seem to be quite OK after almost 2 years..

(Don't forget the search facility here (magnifying glass, top right)) :) I'd rather go by the most recent info on here, as opposed to what's (possibly old) on YouTube...

Reactions: Honda_impreza

Sorry but not necessary ... re-calibrating the 'chip counter' is only needed once in a blue moon ...

DJI no longer advise deep discharge .................

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna