P3A/P3P pre-purchase question

Reaction score
Hey all, Im a long time RC plane pilot just moving into the drone world and I have some pre-purchase questions I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I purchased a new P3S last week and loved the stability, video quality and ease of use, but quickly realized that I would be making a lot of mods (antenna, tablet mount, battery, etc.) and decided that returning this model and purchasing a used P3A or P3P would be more cost effective. There are a few for sale in my area, and I wanted to know what to look for when purchasing a used drone in terms of firmware and age of the model. I just learned that there was a 1080P version of the p3a and I am looking for the 2.7k version. How do I identify which camera the model has? Also, are there specific versions of firmware or serial numbers of models that I should stay away from? Is there a way for me to know how many cycles a battery has gone through?

Currently in my market theres a P3A with 2 batteries, hard backpack for sale for $550 and the guy said he purchased it about a year ago and it has sat unused for a while.

There is also a "like new" P3A model purchased 4 months ago that has not been used at all (or so he says) without any accessories for $550

Also considering a 2 month old P3P with no accessories for $600 or a P3P with a pro craft hard case that has 3 flights on it, no extra battery for $600.

Any advice you all can offer me before purchasing would be great.

Hi and welcome. The forum is a wealth of knowledge. Take the time to use the search function and many of your questions will be answered. Bang for the buck go with the p3a with extra batteries. Better camera go with the p3p. Personally I've had both and the p3a would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah, that P3A with extra battery has also been my #1, unfortunately the guy is a huge flake and doesn't respond to any messages. I reached out to the guy with the P3P with hard case and got him down to $550 - he did say he bought it last year and battery has been sitting discharged so that puts me at ease a bit. I would much rather have the extra battery, but a P3P with case for the same price seems like a great deal.

All P3As have the same cameras, you don't worry about the models.

The most delicate item in P3 is its gimbal, a small crash or hard landing affects it. before buying, ask supplier to show you flying and check for the video feed, video recording for the quality and horizon tilt. You can also check for all focus on all corners. If all ok, go for the one you like.

Batteries are expensive so pick the ones least used. These batteries easily give 200 flights.

Reactions: Oso
All P3As have the same cameras, you don't worry about the models.

The most delicate item in P3 is its gimbal, a small crash or hard landing affects it. before buying, ask supplier to show you flying and check for the video feed, video recording for the quality and horizon tilt. You can also check for all focus on all corners. If all ok, go for the one you like.

Batteries are expensive so pick the ones least used. These batteries easily give 200 flights.
+1. This is great advice. Checking on focus and for a drifting horizon would be very important with a used P3. Since there have been issues in those two areas, they would both be good reasons for someone to sell their Phantom to an unsuspecting buyer.

P3A camera can 1080@60fps (great for clarity of fast moving objects, slow motion) 2.7K @ 24fps (smooth cinematic flow)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic