P3A Controller Dead....Replacement Question??

Reaction score
My P3A controller has a bad battery. It will not charge or turn on at all. Ive tried multiple chargers and cords...its dead.
I found someone on Ebay selling a battery out of a controller that he dropped and broke. $50 shipped...I figured I was good to go. Of course, USPS had other ideas and seems to have lost the package.
(Sadly, Its the only battery I could find anywhere that matches perfectly, just plug and play. Even searching everywhere online I cant find any good info on aftermarket batteries.)

So now I'm looking at replacements. I believe my controller is a 300b (I'm not near it now so cant check).
I can find new 300b controllers for about $155 shipped on Ebay...used for a little less.

Any ideas if this is the best way to go? Any pitfalls I'm missing?
Thanks

Why can't you replace the battery? Does it have to fit perfectly?
I would imagine that as long as the voltage and ampacity (mAh rating) is close, it wouldn't matter.
Are you good at soldering?

That was my original thought. Problem is I have searched all over the internet and havent found any batteries that others have used and seem to work.
The one in there now has 4 wires...2 pos and 2 neg.
Seems hard to find a replacement.

hhmmm... my guess is that it is a 2 cell battery, and the four wires are from each battery so it can be balance charged.
I can look later to see, but IF that is the case, you could get two 1 cell batteries and connect them to each pair of wires going to the controller.

Seems kind of wasteful to pitch the controller for just a bad battery.

question... how do you know it is the battery and NOT the power controller in the remote? What did you do to "damage" the battery?
How long have you had it? warranty?
Just some thoughts...

Thanks for the replies.
I hadnt used the quad all winter...(Florida here...so probably 2 months).
I took it out to use it a couple of weeks ago and tried to charge everything and the controller will not do anything.
Nothing happens when I press the power button, nothing lights up when hooked to the charger.
But you are right...I'm assuming its the battery...could be something else inside the unit.

No warranty, have had it for a couple of years.

I'm sure I read somewhere in a post here,that someone with the same problem,,opened the RC disconnected the battery,then reconnected it, then it would charge,you might want to give that a try first, I know ,what sense does that make,but it worked,,

Reactions: dtviewer
I'm sure I read somewhere in a post here,that someone with the same problem,,opened the RC disconnected the battery,then reconnected it, then it would charge,you might want to give that a try first, I know ,what sense does that make,but it worked,,
Thanks....I'll give it a try.

Maybe unplugging the battery for a few seconds, then re-connecting it somehow "resets" the charge controller.... give it a try and let us know what happens.
Sure seems odd that it failed while powered off (but still being "trickled"). I would imagine that the charge controller would shut down the remote completely if it detected a very low battery.

Maybe unplugging the battery for a few seconds, then re-connecting it somehow "resets" the charge controller.... give it a try and let us know what happens.
Sure seems odd that it failed while powered off (but still being "trickled"). I would imagine that the charge controller would shut down the remote completely if it detected a very low battery.

My posts above were probably confusing...it was powered off and sitting in a closet. Not being trickled.

I'm away until the middle of the week...(without my drone unfortunately)...but will try the above suggestions when I get home.
Thanks everyone....

Sorry... I should have been a little clearer...
Even IF the controller is "off", it is not completely off. The processor and power management circuitry is still powered. That is how it turns on when you tap and hold the power button.
Even though it might be microamps of current, it is still using battery.
Probably a more correct term would be "sleep".

When you are able to, give Wolf's suggestion a try and let us know!
Good luck!

Thanks guys...took controller apart, tried reseating anything I could, checked for any loose connections.
Nothing worked.
Not sure if I'm going to grab a battery or just bite the bullet and get a controller off ebay,

Idk if this allowed but where are you? I've got a GL300B controller I dropped, had less than 5 flights on it , honestly I'm surprised the controller just cracked in half, feel from a chair to the floor o_O. anyway I just ordered a new controller so don't think I'll have a use for the old battery other than a back up for the new controller

Lmk if you decide to go the battery route...
I apologize if this isn't allowed, didn't really intend to sell the battery but if he needs it I will

Last edited:
Dtviewer. You did disconnect the battery? And then reconnect it right?
It's possible that the battery is done,I was just hoping that would work,,some others has had success with it,

Dtviewer. You did disconnect the battery? And then reconnect it right?
It's possible that the battery is done,I was just hoping that would work,,some others has had success with it,

Yes I did....didnt work. Thanks for the suggestion.
I ended up ordering a controller off ebay last night.
Hopefully it works out for me!

Sorry to hear that Wolf's attempt didn't work....
Might be interesting to see what the battery voltage is (unloaded) if you have a DVM and know how to measure voltage. Just to see IF the battery is really bad.
Just curiosity...

Received my new (used) controller. Went ahead and linked it to my P3A last night. All seems well so far.
Hopefully will get a chance to try it out within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

This is crazy that we can't find a replacement battery. Someone with a dead one needs to take the shrink wrap off and see how it is wired. I'm sure we have the talent on this forum to figure it out. If anyone want to send me their dead battery, I would be happy to figure it out. Just PM me.

Reactions: wolf~928

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj