P3 standard warmup

I believe the warming up is artificial. After all, FC and IMU in Ph3 Std is identical to Ph3 Pro/Adv. The only related component that is a bit lower grade in Std is GPS.

I flew Ph3 Std only once, and I was baffled by the looong warmup. At the moment it ended, I was going to conclude it's broken.

I believe the warming up is artificial. After all, FC and IMU in Ph3 Std is identical to Ph3 Pro/Adv. The only related component that is a bit lower grade in Std is GPS.

I flew Ph3 Std only once, and I was baffled by the looong warmup. At the moment it ended, I was going to conclude it's broken.
It’s real and very easy to verify (which I have done numerous times). When the temps start to drop heading into winter recalibration of the IMU in a cooler environment will reduce the warm up time.

Again agreed. All of this, ( Including Sat Acquisition ) are performed near simultaneously, and are ALL a part of the warm up period. I was not suggesting that it takes 3 min to acquire sat's. It is just another "step" if you will, of the process, which again is why I mentioned it.
You had it right in your first post, performing a cold IMU is the secret. When you think about why it’s obvious. The warm up period is the AC comming up to the temp recorded when the IMU was calibrated. All my AC have very short warm up periods. All the other mentioned factors with calculations etc are irrelavent.

When the temps start to drop heading into winter recalibration of the IMU in a cooler environment will reduce the warm up time.

You're completely right. I don't know how I could've missed that. I somehow focused on the model difference and couldn't let go.

3 minutes to get satellites? Hope not.

The point is satellite acquisition is likely not a factor with respect to the OP’s extended warmup concerns.

The OP was almost certainly concerned with the extended aircraft warming up period- this is not attributed to calculations or satellite acquisition, the predominant determinate factor is the difference between ambient temperature at the time of initialisation (power up) and the temperature the AC was at when the mast IMU calibration was performed.
If your Uav sits in storage, the battery in the GPS unit will depleted and the satellite data lost. The uav has to preform a re_aquisition procedure to re_aquire the satellite data on startup, that will take time. Taking your uav to a new location far away from previous flight also trigger re_aquisition procedure.

As your uav aged, the battery will not hold charge. Your uav may do the satellite very time it flies.

If your Uav sits in storage, the battery in the GPS unit will depleted and the satellite data lost. The uav has to preform a re_aquisition procedure to re_aquire the satellite data on startup, that will take time. Taking your uav to a new location far away from previous flight also trigger re_aquisition procedure.

As your uav aged, the battery will not hold charge. Your uav may do the satellite very time it flies.
This has no effect on the "aircraft warming up" delay which was the subject of the OP's question. You can launch prior to GPS acquisition being completed. As to battery backup I didn't see any battery/capacitor on the GPS or any other PCB in any of my phantoms. To the extent data is stored it must be in NVRAM which would not be an issue. I think this is an irrelevant consideration.

I think this is an irrelevant consideration.
Agreed, as far as I know there is no battery backup in a Phantom, and even if there was it would really serve no purpose IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT