P3 standard warmup

Reaction score
I've had a P3 Standard for more than 2 years now, it appears to me that it takes much longer for it to warm up for take off than it did when I first purchased it. It could take as long as 3 minutes for warm up to complete. Is this normal ?

It could take as long as 3 minutes for warm up to complete. Is this normal ?
Do a "Cold" IMU calibration. That should speed it up.

I would really like to know the purpose of the warm up is.
For the FC to calculate all the initial parameters prior to takeoff, aquire sat's, etc..etc...

Reactions: Phantom60
I would like to know too..
See post#5....This is nothing new in the world of calculations that must process first, before flight.

Ok I understand the need for a warm up now(thanks) but i'm guessing the 3 minutes to do that is excessive?
That is a little excessive, but not that much so. 2min is about average, it will vary. Depends on several factors. Location, Temperature, etc..and so forth.

That is a little excessive, but not that much so. 2min is about average, it will vary. Depends on several factors. Location, Temperature, etc..and so forth.
Yeah, i'm just estimating the 3 minutes, I'll do the IMU calibration and if nothing changes,I'll leave it at that.

Pretty much everything in the electronic world now days required an Initialization period. I work on Network Copy machines for a living. These days they are very complicated. On initial power-up it takes about 2 minutes to become fully functinal. I've seen my Drone Warm-up period fluctuate a little as well.

Pretty much everything in the electronic world now days required an Initialization period. I work on Network Copy machines for a living. These days they are very complicated. On initial power-up it takes about 2 minutes to become fully functinal. I've seen my Drone Warm-up period fluctuate a little as well.

So true... my initial concern with the warm up time was that maybe there was an issue with my AC. As I stated earlier, I felt that first when I started using the AC, the warm up time appeared to be much faster. It appears like 2-3 minutes is normal.

See post#5....This is nothing new in the world of calculations that must process first, before flight.
You mean calibrations rather than calculations right? You will likely find the greatest time variable is that dedicated to obtaining a stable temperature reference, the accuracy of the barometer in particular is heavily dependent on temp for accuracy. I verified by experimentation that to calibrate at a significantly lower terp than the actual flight conditions created a significant and repeatable error in the reported altitude for the first pack flown. Later packs flown after that first warm up flight demonstrated typical altitude accuracy.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Calibrations are calculations, if that answers the question.
No... strictly speaking calibrations are comparisons with known reference values. What is important here is that to the extent IMU warm up time might be extended there are likely better, or at least more accurate descriptions as to the reasons. I’m not sure your example of satellite acquisition as being one reason applies either.

No... strictly speaking calibrations are comparisons with known reference values.
Correct, however the reference values must be determined before a calibration can be performed. As far as satellite acquisition is concerned, when you first power up the AC, the sat count doesn't just jump up instantly to for example 15. This will slowly rise, which is part of the warmup time. That was my point in referencing it.

Correct, however the reference values must be determined before a calibration can be performed. As far as satellite acquisition is concerned, when you first power up the AC, the sat count doesn't just jump up instantly to for example 15. This will slowly rise, which is part of the warmup time. That was my point in referencing it.
3 minutes to get satellites? Hope not.

The point is satellite acquisition is likely not a factor with respect to the OP’s extended warmup concerns.

The OP was almost certainly concerned with the extended aircraft warming up period- this is not attributed to calculations or satellite acquisition, the predominant determinate factor is the difference between ambient temperature at the time of initialisation (power up) and the temperature the AC was at when the mast IMU calibration was performed.

Last edited:
the predominant determinate factor is the difference between ambient temperature at the time of initialisation (power up) and the temperature the AC was at when the mast IMU calibration was performed.
Again agreed. All of this, ( Including Sat Acquisition ) are performed near simultaneously, and are ALL a part of the warm up period. I was not suggesting that it takes 3 min to acquire sat's. It is just another "step" if you will, of the process, which again is why I mentioned it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj