P3 Pre-Flight Checklist: can we get a sticky?

Reaction score
Hi all. Being new to RC aircraft, I have been reading posts/articles here like mad in order to make myself a better, safer, and more conscientious pilot of my Phantom. Believe me...I have learned a TON of information from both the veterans and the newbies alike on what to do (or more accurately...what NOT to do) when honing my skills in this fantastic hobby. I've already had a crash, which only ratcheted up my interest in flying as safely as possible even higher.

One of the topics I have been trying to get my brain around is the pre-flight checklist. I've searched, but what I've found is a smattering of tips spread across multiple different posts rather than a single, comprehensive (yet concise) list of steps to take to prepare for a flight.

I've been working on getting together some scribbles of my own (using info taken from here) to keep in my storage case, but thought that it sure would be nice to have a comprehensive list of steps available here that could be used as a reference. I don't think any of us would dispute that there are nuances and critical issues to consider both pre- and intra-flight that are not addressed in the Phantom 3 manual.

If someone would be willing to take this on, I think it could prove to be a huge asset/resource for new folks joining the hobby. The last thing we need is more negative press about UAVs, and I think providing a good, comprehensive source of education for new flyers would be in all of our best interests.

That being said, I would think that perhaps this might be suited to the forum mods since they are major stakeholders here. I'm sure it would be quite a bit of work to compile and organize, so I would also be willing to host a thread (perhaps this one), collect feedback from users and create a list, however I concede that I am not a veteran and am just getting started. Maybe someone with longer tenure/more experience around here might be more appropriate to manage such a project, I don't know.

I'm thinking a nice .pdf that folks could either download to their tablet/smartphone or print off as a reference would be GREAT. I think it would be amazing to leverage the expertise and experience of the members here in order to have a tool like this at our disposal....whomever it may be that assembles that information.

If this is overkill or a comprehensive checklist already exists somewhere and I just can't find it, please disregard.

This is a great idea RiskFactor. pdf format a thumbs up. I could print it off and place it on the inside of my strongbox lid. Today was my 1st flight of a drone, I could use this valuable info.

UPDATE: Just changed this logbook with P3 checklist and new layout.
Here is a log book that includes checklists. I had a few hours to kill at the airport between flights so I put together this book. You can print these on both sides of page and they will match up. I have a binding machine at work which made it easier to put it together as a book. The pre-post pages have a few extra block but that was just to keep the all in place. I just cold laminated the front and back pages to create a durable cover.

Attachments

• Logbook Cover Pages Pre-Post Checks V 2.pdf
    363.4 KB · Views: 630
  • Logbook Pages V 2.0.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Here is a log book that includes checklists. I had a few hours to kill at the airport between flights so I put together this book. You can print these on both sides of page and they will match up. I have a binding machine at work which made it easier to put it together as a book. The pre-post pages have a few extra block but that was just to keep the all in place. I just cold laminated the front and back pages to create a durable cover.
Northern-Flyer, your book is awesome! Thank you so much and more power to you.

Here it is... v1.0 of my checklist on pdf. Made on Foreflight Checklist. Let me know if someone has the Foreflight app, I can e-mail the original file for interaction.
  1. Packing
  2. Pre Flight
  3. Before Takeoff Check
  4. Shutdown Check
It is an early stage checklist, some things will likely be added/removed later.

Let me know if you have suggestions/corrections.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1twetsvkqerj4ek/Checklist JC V1.0.pdf?dl=0

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.