P3 - Max lift weight

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone knew what the max lift weight is for the P3 ?

The P2+ weighed 900g and DJI stated it could lift up to 1.3kg providing up to 400 grams more weight to lift. I assume the P3 has improved on these stats.

- I am thinking in the future, second battery?
- landing gear mods?
- DSLR camera!? The new mirrorless cameras weigh less than 400g.

Reactions: RiZe-TommyGun
Ken,

Today I strapped a 250 gram battery (just as dead weight) to my P3. It lifted it no problem, and I live at 5300 feet.

I will try again tomorrow with more weight and try to at least get a gut feeling as to how much additional weight is reasonable.

I will also watch battery drain to get an idea of reduced flight time per, say, every 100mg of additional weight (I wish I could find an app that displays current amp draw).

I would like to lift a Ricoh GR for some nice high quality stills. It weighs 243 grams, so that seems very doable.

-

Bill

I fly with two lipos and the flytrex tracker total combined weight is around 450grams it does that no probs

Here is a YouTube video on the subject. I'm guessing it would do better with the weight closer to the drone.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The P2+ weighed 900g and DJI stated it could lift up to 1.3kg providing up to 400 grams more weight to lift. I assume the P3 has improved on these stats.
According to the specs:
P2V+ Weight (Battery & Propellers included)1242g
P3 Weight (including battery and propellers)1280 g

- DSLR camera!? The new mirrorless cameras weigh less than 400g.
Aerial photographers would love to be able to fly something like the Sony RX100 (approx 240g)
It's not just the camera. By the time you add in a proper gimbal and controls to be able to see through it and use it properly, it's well beyond the P3's ability.

Quoting ebross67

Dual Battery Mod | Page 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

FYI, the motors on the P3 are rated at 400g of lift/motor. That is 1600g total lift at sea level. The stock weight with battery is 1280g. This gives you 320g to work with. If you load the motors with more weight, then they are rated for you will burn them out. I have the battery mod to the phantom directly with two Turnigy 1000mAh batteries. I get about 6 min of extra flight time. With the batteries and wiring harness I'm at 1585g. Be for warned about batteries that bring the weight higher than 1600g. There is a loss in flight time as the weight increases.

Lifting and stability are 2 different criterias. Ive seen the phantom lift over a kilo but it wasnt stable as the weight was affecting its centre of gravity. As mentioned by the above poster, the closer the weight, the better centre of gravity and therefore better stability.

Also keep height of flying in determining the max payload as higher you fly, lesser the weight it can carry.

Aerial photographers would love to be able to fly something like the Sony RX100 (approx 240g)
It's not just the camera. By the time you add in a proper gimbal and controls to be able to see through it and use it properly, it's well beyond the P3's ability.

Meta 4...

The way I see it, the P3's camera/gimbal stays where it is, so FPV still works...the RX100 gets mounted below, via a cross-brace on the landing gear, not unlike those "gimbal protectors" that are being sold. The RX100/whatever, is mounted in a fixed tilt/postion. The tilt on the P3's camera can be set so as it's getting about the same perspective as the RX100.

Of course that's not 100% ideal compared to, say, the RX100 being on a gimbal and FPV video coming thru the RX100, but still, it's a way to get high-quality stills using the P3 as the flight platform.

--

Bill

Lifting and stability are 2 different criterias. Ive seen the phantom lift over a kilo but it wasnt stable as the weight was affecting its centre of gravity. As mentioned by the above poster, the closer the weight, the better centre of gravity and therefore better stability.

Then why do helicopters use a very long cable when lifting?

Then why do helicopters use a very long cable when lifting?
Because they understand lift mechanics, weight limits, aircraft stability. This is why you and i are behind keyboards and remote controls and they are up there delivering tanks and dumping water on fires.

Well there goes my plan for using my new P3P as a rescue drone for snatching stranded drones from treetops.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31