Attach small camera to P3?

Zak

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a low-budget filmmaker. I love the design, ease-of-use, and price of the Phantom (especially now that the P3 can be had for very good deals).

Unfortunately the video quality just isn't quite good enough for high-quality film work. Even on the 4K model, the compression and low bitrate is often obvious and just doesn't match very well with professional video cameras that we otherwise use.

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with putting a small additional camera on the Phantom. I'm thinking anything from a 9 oz Sony point-and-shoot to the 16 oz Blackmagic Micro camera. Does anyone know how much is too much before the weight gets significantly thrown off? (I've seen a few videos of the P3 trying to lift objects up to 2 lbs with limited success).

Before I get a lot of answers saying "it's not recommended" or "this isn't good for the life of the drone", let me just say I assume that already. I'm just trying to find out if it's possible, and what my limits are.

Thanks!!
Zak

Reactions: mcphipps
Welcome Zak,
Before I get a lot of answers saying "it's not recommended" or "this isn't good for the life of the drone", let me just say I assume that already. I'm just trying to find out if it's possible, and what my limits are.

Unfortunately, you will get those answers anyway. People really just want to help.
Photography is not in my wheelhouse, but there are quite a few people here that are very good at it. I am sure they will be able to help you. Good luck. Thanks for joining.

You have came to the right place for information. Enjoy your time here. Be sure to read all you can. There are tons of threads on just about any subject you can think of that has to do with the quad-copters. The search function works well here. Use it often, you will find what ever you need. In that rare case that you can not, there are great people here to help. Thanks for coming to Phantom Pilots! You are family now.
If you need any help/parts, please visit:
www.PhantomHelp.com

Mike

Zak,

I know in your post you said that you're on a low budget, but it may be optimal to get an Inspire 1 Pro/RAW if you need a higher quality than what's offered by the P3. The Inspire also has a 360° gimbal and the props won't get into your shots if you're flying at full speed.

Still, I don't know if an Inspire is in your budget. That's your call. Good luck and happy flying with whatever you do!

Frank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't waste your time trying to adapt a different camera to the phantom unless it weighs as much or less than the original .
You will then have to remove the original and open the caps on the gimbal to disconnect the antennas .
Now you will have zero information being sent to the app .
Also I assume you would want to see what you are shooting as a professional photographer .
If your add on camera does not have 5.8ghz wifi then you are risking scrambling GPS signal and losing your phantom .
Of course I'm not saying you can not do it because you can stick any cam you want to on there and fly .
But like the I above poster stated for what you are looking to accomplish the phantom isn't the right quad for you . The inspire us the first step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Don't waste your time trying to adapt a different camera to the phantom unless it weighs as much or less than the original .
You will then have to remove the original and open the caps on the gimbal to disconnect the antennas .

Jack, are you saying no additional weight at all can be added? I've seen a couple videos where people attach things or have the Phantom lift things... the Phantom sometimes struggles with it, but it still seems to work...

Sadly the Inspire is a little out of my current price range. It's unfortunate that Phantom seems to have abandoned the "add your own camera" model, as their drones seem to be the most affordable and user-friendly in their class. But I understand it from an engineering point of view.

additional weight could cause some struggle and struggle means more stress on motors which runs down to more stress on ESCs which on the phantom 3 series are actually incorporated in the mainboard and not in the arms like the older stuff . A bad esc in a phantom 3 is a $249 main board .
That said of course it will work though
I would not use any wifi camera on a phantom 3 . More or less a GoPro only .
The wifi signal can disrupt GPS and cause a fly away. But it's not only the wifi that does this . Some cameras emit a frequency when writing to the SD card that also can disrupt flight .
For example I also have a QX3 350 AP quad and I cheaped out and bought it BNF . So I grabbed a Yi Action cam . A knock off of the GoPro but a really good one . If I do not use copper shielding around the Yi cam it could cause my qx to fly back to China so to speak . Even with the copper it's a risk .

Zak, in the manual it states the Phantom 3 has a max payload of 600 grams. So if your camera and mount/holder setup weighs less I think you should be good. If you rig something up post a pic so we can see!

Zak, in the manual it states the Phantom 3 has a max payload of 600 grams. So if your camera and mount/holder setup weighs less I think you should be good. If you rig something up post a pic so we can see!

So you're saying it can carry up to 600 grams outside of it's own body? Or do I have to factor in the body itself?

I'll definitely post pics if/when I get it to go!

Yes, it can lift/carry 600g (1.32lbs) but you will drain battery faster since it's working harder also it wont be as nimble carrying something other than the "factory" setup. My buddy made a rope and hook rig attached to his landing gear to pick up and move around small items for his dog to chase. I'm not saying I recommend anything like he did but it was funny to see it. I think you can rig something out of carbon fiber that looks like a gimbal guard to hold your camera...I'm looking forward to seeing it! I have extra carbon fiber cloth (2" wide) if you need any..just get some epoxy.

Hey Zak you try any test flights with a payload?

Get a vision 2+ for cheap now. Has the gimbal to add your own camera.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4