P3 Facebook group to start banning members?!

Reaction score
I was just looking through my Facebook feed and see that over in the P3 owners group that they have announced that ANY member of the group that posts pictures or video that are 400’ AGL will be banned!!

Is this going to possibly happen here as well??

Capture.PNG

Facebook, faceache. Who cares, as Julius says. Fine if you like pics of cats doing ridiculous things or if you're <14 but otherwise.....

Reactions: skyhighdiver
There's probably some monitoring on FB from the faa or who knows what and they're trying to discourage idiots from flying too high.

Either way some ******* will eventually make it harder for all of us to fly. Not a matter of if, but when. Personally I'm glad they're trying to at least weed out some of them on their sites but as we all know it won't actually stop people from testing the limits on their 'drones'.

There's probably some monitoring on FB from the faa or who knows what and they're trying to discourage idiots from flying too high.

Either way some ******* will eventually make it harder for all of us to fly. Not a matter of if, but when. Personally I'm glad they're trying to at least weed out some of them on their sites but as we all know it won't actually stop people from testing the limits on their 'drones'.
They've already admitted that the FBI and FAA are monitoring their group. My issue is we should educate and not just ban others..

All the banning in the world isn't going to stop stupid. Wonder how many of us would continue to fly if AND when all our copters have a 300' AGL limit put on them in a firmware update?
It' the old cars and motorcycles go over the posted speed limit argument. What about restricting us to LOS? Are we willing to accept that in our hobby?

They've already admitted that the FBI and FAA are monitoring their group. My issue is we should educate and not just ban others..

All the banning in the world isn't going to stop stupid. Wonder how many of us would continue to fly if AND when all our copters have a 300' AGL limit put on them in a firmware update?
It' the old cars and motorcycles go over the posted speed limit argument. What about restricting us to LOS? Are we willing to accept that in our hobby?

How would you suggest educating people on FB? Feel free to share your suggestions. I've been seeing at least one a day where someone's showing off how high they've flown their rig. Comments are full of people trying to tell them its unsafe, etc but that doesn't stop the flow of daily posts. Since there's no limitation on who can buy one of these and fly it there won't be any limit on the level of stupidity that we'll see operating these things.

Reactions: richardseguro
Maybe by not allowing it, they believe they will dissuade some people from doing it.

Also worth noting the FAA has been on this site investigating reports of drone flights in US airspace above 400ft.

How would you suggest educating people on FB? Feel free to share your suggestions. I've been seeing at least one a day where someone's showing off how high they've flown their rig. Comments are full of people trying to tell them its unsafe, etc but that doesn't stop the flow of daily posts. Since there's no limitation on who can buy one of these and fly it there won't be any limit on the level of stupidity that we'll see operating these things.
Some will learn and some will not. A "drone " is no different than just about anything else that can be misused. We can go from guns to spoons and list the dangers......Let people post and then be corrected if need be. Simple as that. Zero tolerance has failed just about everywhere it has been tired.
So what's your solution? Mandatory restrictions and "limitations" on who can and cant purchase a "drone"?

Reactions: RyanK
Maybe by not allowing it, they believe they will dissuade some people from doing it.

Also worth noting the FAA has been on this site investigating reports of drone flights in US airspace above 400ft.
This goes back to my original post and question. Is this something we'll be seeing here soon?

People did stupid sht in RC for 50 years. It's only when people started to promote their transgressions and repost them everywhere that FAA found itself in an untenable position. So where we are...

At this point, the cat is out of the bag so I don't think it matters anymore. But it probably makes sense to provide some sort of note that this X or Y could get you in trouble, or you could increase your liability if something goes wrong.

People did stupid sht in RC for 50 years. It's only when people started to promote their transgressions and repost them everywhere that FAA found itself in an untenable position. So where we are...

At this point, the cat is out of the bag so I don't think it matters anymore. But it probably makes sense to provide some sort of note that this X or Y could get you in trouble, or you could increase your liability if something goes wrong.

Exactly, TRY to educate and warn people, not just ban them and send them out to learn the hard way. If anything, since these groups are being monitored by every spying eye there is they should be encouraged to post up their "transgressions" so they can either learn or have the Men In Black show up at their door.:eek:

............. Also worth noting the FAA has been on this site investigating reports of drone flights in US airspace above 400ft.
Heh................. amazing what you can find in your server logs. I think a few here just experienced a pucker-factor of 6.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Some will learn and some will not. A "drone " is no different than just about anything else that can be misused. We can go from guns to spoons and list the dangers......Let people post and then be corrected if need be. Simple as that. Zero tolerance has failed just about everywhere it has been tired.
So what's your solution? Mandatory restrictions and "limitations" on who can and cant purchase a "drone"?

Can't say I have a solution but I think banning anyone posting the use of their P3's doing illegal stuff is a step in the right direction. The only thing that will work for now is finding a way to discourage the behavior. I really think we're all enjoying the heydays of this hobby/profession. Remote aircraft and such has been around forever but never purchased by the masses until now. Also the remote heli's and planes were not setup to shoot videos and we didn't have live streaming video options or youtube! Now that's changed as we all know.

I think it will take one disaster before our rights are gone. It's either going to become highly regulated, like buying a firearm or sales will be banned altogether. Don't think for a second that the government will feel sorry for any of us losing our P3's...

Reactions: AmosMoses
........... It's either going to become highly regulated, like buying a firearm or sales will be banned altogether........
I think it will be separated into commercial and hobby categories, with the hobby being pretty much exempt as it is now. Well, with the few safe-flying recommendations now posted, anyway. The FAA is smack in the middle of drawing up new proposed operations of UAS as we speak. There is just too much BIG money in this new technology to ban it outright from the hobbyists.

banning anyone posting the use of their P3's doing illegal stuff is a step in the right direction.
nnngh. Stop using this word.

I'm not advocating that everyone ignore a 400ft ceiling and fly with no regard to the environment around them (key phrase there), but it is not 'illegal'. I personally feel there are times where height should not be an arbitrary limit, but also acknowledge there are times where flying much lower than 400 is prudent. It's all about where you are, and what is - or could potentially be - around you.

Banning people might seem like a silly move, but it's their group; and perhaps if they're the most visible group, it might be prudent to remove ALL careless uses (not just height-related). On the other hand, by allowing media of safe flights that 'just happen' to be over 400ft, perhaps it can help loosen the stick from the FAA's collective backside.

Since most are using apps these days what about a simple test that a new user takes prior to unlocking the app. That might be a cool way for people to be forced to learn the rules. The only downside I see to that is people will still break the laws in the same manner that people speed, text while driving, etc, no matter what.

This goes back to my original post and question. Is this something we'll be seeing here soon?
nnngh. Stop using this word.

I'm not advocating that everyone ignore a 400ft ceiling and fly with no regard to the environment around them (key phrase there), but it is not 'illegal'.

The FAA has said that flying over 400ft is against their regulations. This would, ipso facto, make it illegal (and therefore against forum guidelines). Whether or not the FAA's assertion is enforceable is academic. When a government agency indicates something is illegal, it is so until someone with higher authority says otherwise.

The FAA has said that flying over 400ft is against their regulations. This would, ipso facto, make it illegal (and therefore against forum guidelines). Whether or not the FAA's assertion is enforceable is academic. When a government agency indicates something is illegal, it is so until someone with higher authority says otherwise.

So you're saying it without saying it? Ipso facto? It's a law without being a law ?

I'm just trying to get a straight answer and gauge the direction that the wind is blowing for us.
If the day is coming that we'll only be able to fly at 50' in our own yard I feel that might just hurt the resale value. I'd like to be ahead of that storm. Lol!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The FAA doesn't make laws. It makes regulations that are enforceable by laws. The FAA has made it very clear that they strongly believe flights above 400ft are against their existing regulations.

This is excerpted directly from an FAA rep on this site:

you are not allowed to fly higher than 400 feet above the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic