P3 Facebook group to start banning members?!

I don't see why people don't get this, if the bird is 1000' from you and 1500 feet up the side of the mountain and you are acceding at an angle to the ground the P3 might be 1500 above YOU, and still be only 200' AGL. AGL is measured from the P3 to the ground DIRECTLY below it, not the take off point. I have had my P3 at 7000', but at no time was it more than 400' aGL
The P3 and it's flight records don't see it that way. It only knows the ground level it took off at. Outside of the VPS range, it has no idea how high it is.

Unless that mountain is a shear vertical wall that is not true, drop a plumb bob straight vertical down from the bird to the ground and I bet you will never be more than 400AGL. I don't see why people don't get this, if the bird is 1000' from you and 1500 feet up the side of the mountain and you are acceding at an angle to the ground the P3 might be 1500 above YOU, and still be only 200' AGL. AGL is measured from the P3 to the ground DIRECTLY below it, not the take off point. I have had my P3 at 7000', but at no time was it more than 400' aGL
Then you win the argument. I will probably never need to be more than 400' AGL. My DJI Pilot app doesn't see it your way though. In GPS mode, it sets a 500M limit from the home point, not the ground below it at any given time. But as long as the law is as you say, then I'll probably never really need more than 500M either, but some people could use a little more flexibility in the app.

Steve, are you expecting me to post his contact details online?

And he wasn't giving us his opinion. He was repeating for us the FAA's official position. Everyone then jumped down his throat and he left.

But he's not the only one from the FAA saying it. They all are. It's on their website.

To our fully [un]qualified lawyers, if you want to help the FAA reinterpret their own regulations and get them to say something else, go for it. Until then, they see it as a violation of their regulations.

This horse is so beaten.

Here ian..pass em out ! :)
Dead Hourse.png

The FAA has said that flying over 400ft is against their regulations. This would, ipso facto, make it illegal (and therefore against forum guidelines). Whether or not the FAA's assertion is enforceable is academic. When a government agency indicates something is illegal, it is so until someone with higher authority says otherwise.
Bravo.

Reactions: IflyinWY
How am I supposed to stay under 400' when I'm flying FPV at over 2 miles away? :p:p I can't just fly like a pansy all the time.

But he's not the only one from the FAA saying it. They all are. It's on their website.

Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles
"Strongly encourage".... "safety guidelines".

They mention a lot of things on their website... not all of them laws.

Reactions: Dave Ward
they see it as a violation of their regulations.

If the FAA wants to propose a civil penalty for a violation, the FAA Enforcement and Compliance division sends a civil penalty letter to the person charged with a violation. The civil penalty letter contains a statement of the charges, the applicable law, rule, or regulation, and the amount of civil penalty that the Administrator will accept in full settlement of the action or an offer to compromise the civil penalty.

The FAA is required to advise the pilot of the charges or other reasons for the action before taking the action and provide the pilot with an opportunity to answer or explain why the action should not be taken.

So, I ask you and all that I ever asked of your imaginary friend: What regulation?

The FAA has said that flying over 400ft is against their regulations. This would, ipso facto, make it illegal (and therefore against forum guidelines). Whether or not the FAA's assertion is enforceable is academic. When a government agency indicates something is illegal, it is so until someone with higher authority says otherwise.

Wow. It's against their "guidance" not their regulations. They don't have any regulations just recommendations. They haven't said it's illegal because it's not. When it's law then ok.

Read here:
http://dronelawjournal.com

Reactions: desertcat
I saw a P3 fly by today at 500 feet, towing a banner advertising for Facebook. I found the guy who was flying and when I was through scolding him, I asked if he was hiring pilots. :p

There's probably some monitoring on FB from the faa or who knows what and they're trying to discourage idiots from flying too high.

Either way some ******* will eventually make it harder for all of us to fly. Not a matter of if, but when. Personally I'm glad they're trying to at least weed out some of them on their sites but as we all know it won't actually stop people from testing the limits on their 'drones'.
AMEN BROTHER. too many children (chronologically and otherwise) out there attempting to out stupid each other for the sake of a YouTube .

Reactions: Tino_A
Wow. It's against their "guidance" not their regulations. They don't have any regulations just recommendations. They haven't said it's illegal because it's not. When it's law then ok.

So, I ask you and all that I ever asked of your imaginary friend: What regulation?

I am not a lawyer. Neither are you. It's pretty simple. The FAA came to this site and said it is against their regulations to fly above 400ft. If you can find me a verified FAA authority or someone from a higher authority who will say otherwise, then there's room for discussion.

Until then, which regulation applies and whether or not it is actually legal for them to enforce doesn't matter. I actually think it's a sketchy assertion myself. But I am not a lawyer. No amount of amateur internet lawyering is going to override their assertion. If you think it's wrong, take them to court.

Yawn. This is really really boring to repeat over and over.

Reactions: fhagan02
Just for clarification, this forum will not be removing members or deleting threads based on FAA guidelines. While that tactic may at first seem justified, when you think about it further, it turns into a nightmare.

First off, its difficult to judge 400 ft based on a photo. Secondly, how do you know if the pilot is standing at their window flying from 25 feet away but the Phantom is 500 ft. above the ground. And thirdly, the FAA guidelines only apply to the USA, so therefore, we would have to know the regulations of all countries and enforce those as well.

Obviously we encourage safe flying and flying below 400 feet, but at this point, we cannot regulate how people fly. We will leave that to the FAA.

I am not a lawyer. Neither are you. It's pretty simple. The FAA came to this site and said it is against their regulations to fly above 400ft. If you can find me a verified FAA authority or someone from a higher authority who will say otherwise, then there's room for discussion.

Until then, which regulation applies and whether or not it is actually legal for them to enforce doesn't matter. I actually think it's a sketchy assertion myself. But I am not a lawyer. No amount of amateur internet lawyering is going to override their assertion. If you think it's wrong, take them to court.

Just for clarification, this forum will not be removing members or deleting threads based on FAA guidelines. While that tactic may at first seem justified, when you think about it further, it turns into a nightmare.

First off, its difficult to judge 400 ft based on a photo. Secondly, how do you know if the pilot is standing at their window flying from 25 feet away but the Phantom is 500 ft. above the ground. And thirdly, the FAA guidelines only apply to the USA, so therefore, we would have to know the regulations of all countries and enforce those as well.

Obviously we encourage safe flying and flying below 400 feet, but at this point, we cannot regulate how people fly. We will leave that to the FAA.

Thank you both for this. And also thank you for repeating it.

Well Amos..I believe your original question of
Is this going to possibly happen here as well
Just got answered ! :eek:

Sidenote / Thanks TJ, ian and Jacob for cleaning that up :cool:

Well Amos..I believe your original question of Just got answered ! :eek:

Sidenote / Thanks TJ, ian and Jacob for cleaning that up :cool:

Yes it did... Thank you for the crystal clear answer Jacob!

Now, does anyone know exactly what the FAA rules and regulations are and have any good legal advice for me??

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl