p3 camera vs gopro hero3+ black

Reaction score
hello everyone

has there been any comparison between p3 and gopro cameras for image quality?

please note that i am not referring to image size (resolution) or fps values. I am more interested in bit rates per second, censor quality , color depth etc.

I am trying to justify of getting a p3 but if I am going to lose gopro advantages I rather stick with my p2+zenmuse combo

I have the P2+ with a GoPro 4. I feel the P3 camera is better picture quality. Also being able to take stills is a plus. You know you want it buy it! ;)

I just spent a long weekend at our beach house shooting with my P2 H3-3D and GoPro B3+ rig and although I am still getting great video at 2.7 30/W, there is no comparison with the new camera. Always worrying about barrel distortion is a real PIA as well. The only reason that I didn't take the P3 was because I didn't want to go with a single battery. My brother flew his I1 and had a lot less agrivation. Eliminating barrel distortion frees you to frame much more effectively. It was windy and I could have used the upgraded motors too.

hello everyone

please note that i am not referring to image size (resolution) or fps values. I am more interested in bit rates per second, censor quality , color depth etc.

I am trying to justify of getting a p3 but if I am going to lose gopro advantages I rather stick with my p2+zenmuse combo

Last edited:
I have the P2+ with a GoPro 4. I feel the P3 camera is better picture quality. Also being able to take stills is a plus. You know you want it buy it! ;)
not sure if I want it though. indoor flights, new motors etc looks appealing however I want to wait till this solo comes out. p3 camera might be better than gopro for the time being but things may turn around when gopro 5 is out so I dont want to lose chance of replacing the camera instead of replacing the whole rig.

also Solo flight modes looks great on paper!!!!

P3 camera smashes the GoPro Hero 3+ Black camera

But, the GoPro Hero 4 Black camera smashes the P3 camera

hello everyone

My long winded thread has comparisons of photos

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...k-plus-inside-the-hood-pictures.38694/page-16

I have the GP 3, 4 black and Silver and not sure I would use 'smash' - they are good cameras but not superior by a long stretch. If you can control shutter, iso etc while the P3 camera is up in the air how can the GP4 be superior where you can't even fire the shutter let alone alter the settings ?

I have the GP 3, 4 black and Silver and not sure I would use 'smash' - they are good cameras but not superior by a long stretch. If you can control shutter, iso etc while the P3 camera is up in the air how can the GP4 be superior where you can't even fire the shutter let alone alter the settings ?
1+

+1

If I remember correctly (I need to check when I get home)... but I recall that the 3+ BE 1080p@60fps is 30mbps. The P3 Adv 1080p@60fps is 40mbps.

No I would definitely use the word smash. The p3 camera doesnt come close to the gopro hero 4 black. Neither of the cameras are really professional.
Your only comparing the p3 to the hero 4 black which doesnt make sense because as of this moment you cant even attach the hero 4 black to a p3. As for the OP's request. Hes thinking about getting the solo. With the solo you will be able to control all the settings on the gopro during midflight. I have a P3P and I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I'm thinking of buying the solo also for this same exact reason.
Which bring me to my next point and is off topic of OP.
GoPro Hero 4 Black has tons of different recording settings
P3P has
4k at 30 fps
1080 at 60 fps

GoPro has
4k at 30 fps
2.7k at 30/60 fps
1440 at 30/60/80 fps
1080 super view at 24/30/60/80 fps
1080 at 24/30/60/80/120
720 at 24/30/60/80/120/240 fps
and many more options
Shutter, iso, narrow angle, wide angle and medium
also has protune option which I always use.

Like I said GoPro Hero 4 black smashes the p3 camera.
I don't even want to start talking about the hero 5 and the capibilities that camera is expected to have like 8k at 30 fps and 3D options. Its coming out in October so DJI better step their game up soon

Also the GoPro admitted to producing drones and those are expected to release this year too. Between the P3Ps, 3dr solos, GoPros and the Lily coming out next Febuary its an exciting time for quads.

Comparing multiple resolutions is not as straightforward. This horse has been beaten to death. You are putting a flying camera. Use the P3 vs Go Pro 4 black and see if there is real perceived differences in picture quality. I placed on this forum pictures of P2 with lightbridge and GP4 vs P3. There was nothing smashing that was jaw dropping between each setup. Some people love fish eye too. Others love removing it too.

And finally I am answering the OP's question - does that not make sense? The OP wanted to know P2 setup with GP vs P3. He then goes on to talk about Solo in a subsequent post... well I am sure the solo will live upto it's expectation when it is released - I am also sure that the P4 /P5 will in the future push things further. Right now my P3 setup works for me and my 4 P2 quads with GP's haven't been flown once since the P3 came out. So lets stick to what we got today and worry less about GP 5/6/7 and solo.. none of these are available right now TODAY.

No I would definitely use the word smash. The p3 camera doesnt come close to the gopro hero 4 black. Neither of the cameras are really professional.
Your only comparing the p3 to the hero 4 black which doesnt make sense because as of this moment you cant even attach the hero 4 black to a p3. As for the OP's request. Hes thinking about getting the solo. With the solo you will be able to control all the settings on the gopro during midflight. I have a P3P and I have a GoPro Hero 4 Black. I'm thinking of buying the solo also for this same exact reason.
Which bring me to my next point and is off topic of OP.
GoPro Hero 4 Black has tons of different recording settings
P3P has
4k at 30 fps
1080 at 60 fps

GoPro has
4k at 30 fps
2.7k at 30/60 fps
1440 at 30/60/80 fps
1080 at 24/30/60/80/120
and many more options

Like I said GoPro Hero 4 black smashes the p3 camera.
I don't even want to start talking about the hero 5 and the capibilities that camera is expected to have like 8k at 30 fps and 3D options. Its coming out in October so DJI better step their game up soon

Also the GoPro admitted to producing drones and those are expected to release this year too. Between the P3Ps, 3dr solos, GoPros and the Lily coming out next Febuary its an exciting time for quads.

Last edited:
P3P has
4k at 30 fps
1080 at 60 fps

GoPro has
4k at 30 fps
2.7k at 30/60 fps
1440 at 30/60/80 fps
1080 at 24/30/60/80/120
and many more options

From the DJI Phantom 3 Pro specs page...

P3P video modes:
UHD: 4096x2160p 24/25, 3840x2160p 24/25/30
FHD: 1920x1080p 24/25/30/48/50/60
HD: 1280x720p 24/25/30/48/50/60

Still Photography Modes:
Single Shot
Burst Shooting: 3/5/7 shots
Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB): 3/5
Bracketed Frames at 0.7EV Bias
Time-lapse

Last edited:
The gopro 4 black has an inferior lens, it's over compressed and having no control in the air is not good. I work in broadcast and use gopro's everyday but I'm blown away by the p3p camera. Better dynamic range, higher bit rate in 4k and flat lens. in my opinion it's certainly broadcast quality.

You must not know how to edit because I seen way better quality from the GoPro Hero 4 Black compared to P3P. Just because you put up 2 comparison videos and couldn't tell a difference whether "smashing" or not. Doesn't justify it not being a way better camera. I also mentioned my resoultion and frame rate comments were off topic. OP is mostly comparing the P3P compared to the Solo. We all know Solo is not out yet (2 more weeks). But, we all know it can carry a Hero 4 Black and I have to say I'm way more impressed with the Hero 4 Black over the P3P camera. I own both. Secondly, I never even compared the P3P to the Solo. Just the camera capibilities as OP requested. Thirdly, The Hero 5 is not out yet. But, in a few months it will be and I cant see DJI making any drastic changes to their camera in that timeframe. Whether, its an update, upgrade or flat out new model. Which then I'm guessing you would have buy a whole new quad from DJI as opposed to just upgrading GoPro year after year.

Given that the P3 itself is a solid flying platform, the connection between the gimbal/camera and the mounting plate is just 4 vibration dampers and two ribbon cables; it would be fairly trivial to swap the camera out for a next gen. More complicated than I would imagine DJI would like to allow most consumers to do it, but they could allow dealers to do the swap. One can hope, right?

Given that the P3 itself is a solid flying platform, the connection between the gimbal/camera and the mounting plate is just 4 vibration dampers and two ribbon cables; it would be fairly trivial to swap the camera out for a next gen. More complicated than I would imagine DJI would like to allow most consumers to do it, but they could allow dealers to do the swap. One can hope, right?
Wrong, they will change everything to make you get a new model, it's their way to make money...

+1

If I remember correctly (I need to check when I get home)... but I recall that the 3+ BE 1080p@60fps is 30mbps. The P3 Adv 1080p@60fps is 40mbps.
I said earlier in my post that I am not comparing video shooting modes such as frame per second or resolution. resolution by itself literally means NOTHING. I have 4k video shooting capable cell phone but my $6k DSLR doesnt have 4k capability. does 4k camera makes my smart phone better than my DSLR full frame camera in terms of quality? ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I was more hoping to get info on bitrates etc to compare image quality not image size.

one valuable info for many enthusiast. 1080p 60 fps is more likely to get you less quality than 1080p with 24 fps. the reason is most of the cameras have a limit of writing data on the files. lets say it is 10mbps per second and when you increase fps, image quality per frame goes down. 10mbps/60fps vs 10mbps/24fps.

It seems that the compression quality of the P3 is the same on every resolution.

I did some tests and ended up with:
4K/30 - 60-62MBits/s
1080p/60 - 40-42MBits/s
1080p/30 - 25MBits/s

Reactions: mr.goodkat

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member