P3 altitude record 980m

What happens if you cancel RTH once above the 500m limit? Does it come back down to the limit or stay above?

you have to fight against rth the whole time. if it gets to like 20m within home point it will descend...
if you keep the pitch all the way back, it will go backwards at about 3 m/s, it would only climb at 3m/s while in rth mode above the alt limit, I didn't check what it climbs at in rth mode below the limit...

Wow well that sucks, big time battery drain and almost not worth it. I'd rather snap photos up there then vid.

Reactions: Fplvert
Wow well that sucks, big time battery drain and almost not worth it. I'd rather snap photos up there then vid.
Sucks, but a great workaround if you need it to get that one time shot of something and your flying environment is not endangering anyone.

well 4k video is almost like 6mp pictures, so its not bad... yea photos would be nice, but you are fighting rth so its kinda hard to focus on taking pics...

They are about 8.3mp

4096x2160p = 8,847,360
3840x2160p = 8,294,400

I think it's important to stay beyond 20 m from homepoint. I didn't see mine because of trees and hit return to home...before I read that part in the manual and it almost came down on top of a tree. I had to fight it to get it back up and disable return to home. Fly it manually and then land.

Considering all the concern about accidental mid-flight CSC, having to constantly fight the controlled descent of the RTH yet still try to fly, I have a suspicion we may start to see a lot more "fell from the sky" complaints.... and from those heights, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

You have to be careful. With all those big airports around NYC has a lot of air traffic.

While I would also love to soar above the clouds I don't want to cause any damage to anyone else or to the drone community. Pause, this can get you in trouble.

You can easily verify the height by comparing with google photos. Your know google's height, just take measurements and work out the size ratio on the photo.
or
killercut is fly off the tallest building in NYC.
True or not, its pretty high. I just congrats you on being so brave.
The wind up there alone can take your bird away in a second especially in coastal area.

Hey I paid and bought my phantom 3 from dji and they are not my mommy and they have no business whats so ever to allow or not allow me to do any dam thing i please if should chose to do some thing. Esp if its in any area were its legal and even if its not its NOT FOR THEM TO FREAKING decide. Being it has no bearing or consequence to them what any one does with there own property and there own choice and free will. esp if they are already letting them go to 500m which is already higher then the height of maximum free fall velocity Its not physically possible to hit any thing any harder or cause any more damage to any thing if one were to drop out of the sky at 1000m then it would at 400m or 500m high anyway.

Tho not that I have much desire to even go 500m up It really pisses me off that dji trys to be any ones nanny or big bother. esp when even the gobermint dont even try to be that much of a nanny yet even. and it makes me really ? if I ever want to give dji any more money on the next products if they are going to keep up with trying to be more and more of a big brother and peoples nanny.

Tho I do like that they put some thing in the software that can allow a user to set a max threshold in case the user does not want it to be able to go higher then what they have set it to. But thats were It should end and leave it at. I dont mind them giving some one a tool to help some one stay within a certain margin thats cool. But the nanny crap has to end. esp if they are going to be selling them in places were there are not only any restrictions but also no danger if going as high or far as some one wants.
Unfortunately you are incorrect. They can write their software and design their product however they see fit. If you don't like or agree with the design then you don't need to buy it. Also, limits are placed on many things in order for the manufacture to limit their liability. If a person flies into a plane and the people on the plane die, DJI WILL be named in that lawsuit. If they can show they had measures in place and the user bypassed those measures then they have a very good defense. If you feel the need to fly over 1500', buy another product.

agree with the post above. I exceed the speed limit all the time. I know the risks involved and I pay the price if caught. Anyone here that doesn't exceed the speed limit....ever....can cast the first stone.....
Understood. The issue I have is if you then start posting about the car simply smashing into a guardrail "for no reason" and accusing the car manufacture of being terrible because they did not pay for your car repairs. Or when you get a ticket for spending so now they make laws that state no car can be made to go faster then 30mph because of this.

See the difference?

Well, now that this 'glitch' has been pointed out to the Mod's I am sure the next firmware update will close it, not that I have any intention, or need to go that high. Just my luck it would 'drop' like a rock.
I can't see that DJI would find out from this forum and I can't see that they would the the time to close this loophole.
Well, now that this 'glitch' has been pointed out to the Mod's I am sure the next firmware update will close it, not that I have any intention, or need to go that high. Just my luck it would 'drop' like a rock.

Understood. The issue I have is if you then start posting about the car simply smashing into a guardrail "for no reason" and accusing the car manufacture of being terrible because they did not pay for your car repairs. Or when you get a ticket for spending so now they make laws that state no car can be made to go faster then 30mph because of this.

See the difference?
What I see is that people will use any devices as they wish. Some uses will have consequences. It's up to the person to make their own decisions. There's a set of check and balances out there for speeding as well as using a drone. It will work itself out....I'm just not going to harp on someone on a forum because of what they decide to do. I would ask that you guys use good judgement. I plan on taking mine out to the country where there's no risk to try.

That was 15miles away from JFK. I doubt any planes get to 1000m there. Helis do, but I avoid them like the plague.

That would put you right in the middle of JFK class B airspace. And FYI, planes are routinely at 3,000ft at 15 miles.

This is at 530m, the day I discovered the rth trick...

Not a big difference, Its hard to tell how high you are when you are already really high...

One thing you can tell is how small the cars are... zoom into the 900m pics and they look like ants, in the 530m photo you can almost make out that they are cars...
you know, looking at that picture, I can't help but think that someday, all that will be under water. Look how the land just drops off deep. I wouldn't live there. One natural disaster and you're toast

Yea, i kinda thought about it afterwards. I think they are usually closer to 4000ft, but that is not a usual flight patch, I lived here for 30 years...

I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but you really need to rethink the high-altitude flying or find a place very far away from NYC. 15 miles from JFK, above 3,000ft, deep within controlled class B airspace, in one of the most congested air corridors in the country is the kind of thing that can get you on the news. And not in a good way.

I can't see that DJI would find out from this forum and I can't see that they would the the time to close this loophole.
Dude, there are DJI staff that monitor and post on this forum all the time, and you don't think DJI would want to close a possible loophole that could cause some legal liability to them..... Really?

Reactions: Adam Kontras

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers