P3 Advanced camera no longer self leveling

Reaction score
Hey All, long time reader. I need some help so I can trouble shoot a problem Unfortunatly, I crashed in a gym by hitting a rafter and the drone falling straight down. The legs took most of the impact but the yaw arm broke. I bought a replaement and replacement legs. Installed the new yaw arm and tested it, things worked great. After receiving the legs I went through the process of replacing them then updated the aircraft and camera to the latest version of DJI's software. I went to fly today and the the camera won't correct for roll when the P3 moves, It's hard to fly without the correction too. It seems like the motor isn't even moving at all but I'm not getting any errors on the app either. I need help trouble shooting so I know what needs replaced or repaired. I can't find any reports of the new firmware doing this so I don't think that's the problem

I actually found that video and tried that fix. Mine is aligned correctly. It seems the motor isnt working at all but it's hard to say for sure. I know that it isn't self leveling during flight.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It sounds as if the motors are not receiving power check those cables

The Nether world

It's just the one motor and when I tried that fix in the video I unplugged the cables looked them over and made sure when I put them back that they were all the way in. I don't see any damage to them. I don't know how to check and see if there is unseen damage to the cable or the motor is just dead...

Damage to the thin black data ribbon is very hard to see. Replacement of that ribbon is around $15 so it won't be a bank busting moment. Before buying that part check the ribbon ends/connector slots. Perhaps it just pulled loose. There is a thin strip of plastic that snaps over the ribbon ends to clasp the connections to the boards it controls. Gently un-clip it and re-seat the cable back into the slot. Re-close the strip holding it to the board.

Alright, It doesn't seem to have made a difference. I checked the connections, tried gimbal calibration and manual roll adjust but the motor just doesn't move. I just noticed thought that just after a minute or two of testing the motor got pretty warm. Thoughts?

Open it up to check for debris, Loose/cut connections.

Does the yaw motor work, just not the tilt?

I watched the video and it looks like not much applies to me in that video, the motor spins smoothly, I don't see anything in it cruding it up. I can't take it apart, where he epoxies the shaft back in mine isn't loose. I am getting some movement on the yaw motor but it's acting like it's struggeling, it's not moving much when it does move and it won't keep the camera level. If it's just the motor I could replace that myself if I could find one but how do I know it's not a board or cable? all other things work correctly as far as i can tell.

Oddly enough when I have the drone without props on the table upside down and turn on the drone, the camera self levels normally. The problem is when I have the drone sitting on the table on it's legs, right side up, the camera looks installed correctly. The more I mess with it the more the camera is moving

Do you think that maybe there is something rubbing on the new part causing it to get held up and as I'm messing with it it's wearing in?

Last edited:
I watched the video and it looks like not much applies to me in that video, the motor spins smoothly, I don't see anything in it cruding it up. I can't take it apart, where he epoxies the shaft back in mine isn't loose. I am getting some movement on the yaw motor but it's acting like it's struggeling, it's not moving much when it does move and it won't keep the camera level. If it's just the motor I could replace that myself if I could find one but how do I know it's not a board or cable? all other things work correctly as far as i can tell.

Oddly enough when I have the drone without props on the table upside down and turn on the drone, the camera self levels normally. The problem is when I have the drone sitting on the table on it's legs, right side up, the camera looks installed correctly. The more I mess with it the more the camera is moving

Do you think that maybe there is something rubbing on the new part causing it to get held up and as I'm messing with it it's wearing in?
I know this is probably a stupid question, but do you have the gimbal set to FPV or follow?

Make sure the "YAW" arm is freely moving (set screw adjustment)

So, I was unaware that the DJI app even had an FPV option and I've never used follow me so I don't think they are enabled. I uploaded this video to youtube that I just took. This is me flying the P3A in my front yard only moving left and right. You can see what's happening, or rather what's not happening. Also, I tried the gimbal buzz fix as well and no change. The Yaw works perfectly just the tilt is off.

So, I was unaware that the DJI app even had an FPV option and I've never used follow me so I don't think they are enabled. I uploaded this video to youtube that I just took. This is me flying the P3A in my front yard only moving left and right. You can see what's happening, or rather what's not happening. Also, I tried the gimbal buzz fix as well and no change. The Yaw works perfectly just the tilt is off.

It is a setting in the app. If it is set to FPV the gimbal follows the tilt of the bird and does not self level when the bird yaws.

No but I'm starting to think the new part is rubbing causing the motor to bind up. I'm taking away some material on the new arm and I'm slowly noticing the camera can be moved easier and easier the more I do.

I'm going to call this tentatively fixed. I had to remove some metal on the new arm that was installed right by that motor because I think it was rubbing. I polished it up and put it all back together and did a test flight. It ran normally but I'll see what happens tomorrow since I'm flying again. Thanks for all the help the suggestions helped me start to figure out what was wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj