P3 adv camera direction

Reaction score
I went out to fly today and found that my camera was pointing hard left towards the front landing strut and would not return to centre. I always use the gimbal clamp when not using my P3. Any ideas about what I’m doing wrong?

I went out to fly today and found that my camera was pointing hard left towards the front landing strut and would not return to centre.
A bit more detail would be helpful. First, did you ensure the gimbal was level at takeoff, as part of pre-flight?

Yes, I took off from a level road. Right now on my kitchen table it goes through it’s startup sequence and ends up pointing hard left.

Right now on my kitchen table it goes through it’s startup sequence and ends up pointing hard left.
Check the gimbal cables first, re-seat if necessary. Then try a gimbal calibration.

Tried the gimbal calibration and it returns to pointing hard left. Might have to take it to a drone doctor.

Yes, I might wait awhile as it’s a long drive to the nearest dealer here in Brisbane and they would want to send it away. I can still take vertical photos. Thanks

I went out to fly today and found that my camera was pointing hard left towards the front landing strut and would not return to centre. I always use the gimbal clamp when not using my P3. Any ideas about what I’m doing wrong?
Camera left and right is controlled by the yaw motor, IMO it might be due to inaccurate reference point of the yaw arm (caused by wrong position of the set screw) or the yaw motor receiving wrong signal from gimbal top board (caused by faulty component on gimbal top board, faulty copper ribbon cable from gimbal board to yaw motor, faulty flexi flat cable or poor connection between the connectors). I would first check the set screw, re calibrate IMU, compass and gimbal to see if helps. If it doesn't, I will try re seat the flexi flat cable and copper ribbon cable and do the re calibration. If it still doesn't help I will replace the flexi flat cable and as a last resort, replace the gimbal top board. Must re calibrate after any re seating and replacement.

I use gimbal clamp all the time and haven't experienced similar problem.

I’ve found a Camera Sideways Fix on YouTube which shows a loose or missing set screw. I’m going to watch it a few times then have a close look at my gimbal. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I’ve found a Camera Sideways Fix on YouTube which shows a loose or missing set screw. I’m going to watch it a few times then have a close look at my gimbal. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Sounds familiar

I know the P3 standard has a screw in the yaw arm that can come loose and the shaft can get off center.

That’s what it was. Loose yaw arm screw. I’ve got the shaft moved around to line up the flat side with the grub screw and just waiting for Torx driver to come from EBay to tighten it up. Thanks everyone!

Consider apply some threadlock glue like blue Loctite 242 it will prevent the set screw loosen as a result of vibration. When tighten up the set screw make sure there is sufficient gap between the yaw arm and the small gimbal cover plate so that the arm can move freely

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic