P2V+ v Inspire (or P3) still image quality

Reaction score
I use my P2V+ exclusively for still images, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Inspire (or new P3 camera that seems to be the same as the Inspire) stills are better. I know its a slightly smaller file size (12mpx) but is it a better quality file?
Attached is a recent image of a local gold mine site
BLgold1286v.jpg

I am in the same boat as you, I really want to have good stills from the air, and the V2+ has huge room for improvement in my opinion.

Seeing the camera has the Sony EXMOR-sensor, I am 100% positive that the new camera will perform better when it comes to stills. Even though it's a slightly lower resolution and same sensor size (1/2.3"), I'll bet my quad on that the DJI-branded sensor has nothing on the Sony-sensor, seeing that Sony actually knows what they're doing when it comes to digital sensors. Keep in mind that Sony also makes sensors for many other brands, like the Apple iPhone 6.

The word "better" is also in the eye of the beholder, but I'm pretty sure you'll see far less noise in the photos at all ISOs, less distortion of course, higher dynamic range in .dng files and better low light capability; which the V2+ is absolutely horrible at.

For the record I'll add one of my favorite photos taken with the P2V+:
https://www.skypixel.com/photos/bruskorvet-hyttefelt

Thanks for the feedback Manny....looks like the P3 is going to be a huge improvement, I didn't realise the sensor was a Sony, I use a Sony A7R so I know how good they can be.
Great photo too...looks very cold!

Haha, thanks! Not too cold, not more than negative 5-6 celcius ;)

The P3 is most definitely going to be a huge improvement. The lens is 20mm equivalent to full frame, so the field of view would be just about the same if you throw a 20mm on your A7R (which by the way is a slick camera!!). Not ultra-wide and fishy like the P2v+, but pretty wide. IMO they could have probably pushed it to 17mm equiv, but they probably couldn't do so without adding distortion.

In the ISO-department there are going to be ridiculous improvements, here is a shot I took with the V2+ v2 after sundown:

That is with post-processing to the .DNG to make something out of the picture. Want to guess what ISO it is taken at? 1200? Nope. This one is a ISO400. In other words, the P2v+ is useless at yielding ok results if it's not midday. Not to mention the insane banding on top/bottom due to sensor heat. I am pretty bothered with all the noise in the P2V+ images even at ISO100. The P3 Vision has a max ISO at 1600 for stills (3200 for video) which points to the fact that the sensor is going to perform extremely much better than the DJI sensor in the P2v+.

I have no doubts that the P3 is going to be like comparing a iPhone 3 with a iPhone 6. Seriously. So seriously that I almost can convince myself that I can afford it...

Like you mentioned, the P2 is fine in good light so thats when I use it the most and I have achieved a lot of great images with it. However I like to take images closer to sunset/sunrise, so the new P3 will certainly improve that....though one day I would like to get my A7R up into the sky!

It is same camera as in Inspire 1. With Inspire 1 you can take pretty good stills at low light with longer exposure. I just wonder is P3 steady enough for to do this.

The lens on the P3 is flat (no fisheye) and has nothing to do with the sensor. An low light on Inspire sucks so if it the same camera on the P3 oh well.

Might be a good time to remind people that more MP is not better quality. More MP really just allows larger prints. For most people 8 MP is normally enough and will allow prints on 16" x 20" paper. The sensor, crop factor and lens quality is what adds up to better quality images.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers