P2V+ lifting capacity to spray rooftop with cleaner

Reaction score
How much can a P2V+ lift without having to use full power? Could it lift, say, a pound of weight? I realize the more you lift, the more power is needed, and therefore the batteries will be discharged more quickly.

I have an unusual situation. I need to get anti-mildew/anti-fungal solution on the peaks of a building with a metal roof.
---- The roof is too steep to climb up high enough to apply it.
---- I can get to about 6 feet from the top with a pressure washer configured with an extended stream-squirt nozzle, so I have completed most of the job.
---- What I want to do with the drone is to fasten a container to it, fly up to the top of the roof, and drizzle the solution down on to the peak of the roof. If the P2V+ can only lift a 1/4 cup of the solution at a time, it would take all day to cover the approximately 40 square feet on each of the peaks.

So, how much would a P2V+ lift? A quart of the solution would weight about 1.5 pounds. A pint about .7 pounds. A cup about .4 pounds. (24 ounces, 12 ounces, 6 ounces, respectively)

Also, If you have any suggestions on how to make happen, please let me know.

Reactions: Weston Ney
How much can a P2V+ lift without having to use full power? Could it lift, say, a pound of weight? I realize the more you lift, the more power is needed, and therefore the batteries will be discharged more quickly.

I have an unusual situation. I need to get anti-mildew/anti-fungal solution on the peaks of a building with a metal roof.
---- The roof is too steep to climb up high enough to apply it.
---- I can get to about 6 feet from the top with a pressure washer configured with an extended stream-squirt nozzle, so I have completed most of the job.
---- What I want to do with the drone is to fasten a container to it, fly up to the top of the roof, and drizzle the solution down on to the peak of the roof. If the P2V+ can only lift a 1/4 cup of the solution at a time, it would take all day to cover the approximately 40 square feet on each of the peaks.

So, how much would a P2V+ lift? A quart of the solution would weight about 1.5 pounds. A pint about .7 pounds. A cup about .4 pounds. (24 ounces, 12 ounces, 6 ounces, respectively)

Also, If you have any suggestions on how to make happen, please let me know.
If you break your drone trying to do this, and chances are very high that you will, you would have saved a lot of money hiring a professional to come and do this. I work for a construction company, and I am often sent up on roofs to clean the moss off and apply different chemicals to kill moss, and seal the roof from leaks. For a contractor to come and do this for you would cost much less than the drone if something bad happens. But if you are set on doing this you will need a very specific and small spray container securely zip tied to the bottom in at least three places. if anything is hanging off the bottom of your drone in such a way that it can sway you will most likely lose control and the drone will crash. I tried picking up a 2 pound weight with my Phantom 3 standard once as a proof-of-concept. It carried it fine, but it was hanging from two pieces of string that were tied to the legs, And the swaying of the weight eventually got so much as I tried to fly it a few feet over my lawn that I landed the drone before it crashed. You would need to securely fasten a small spray apparatus to the bottom of your Phantom, preferably fastened tightly to the legs so that it doesn't sway, then you'll need a tiny spray wand like the kind you find on cheap weed sprayers from home Depot, and that will need to go to the fastened container, and the container will have to be pressurized somehow, and you will need to securely fastened the spray wand to the drone, and put the sprayer on continuous spray, and carefully fly up and do your work. After all this it is still dangerous. If you like do-it-yourself type of things like I do, it might be a cool idea, but it will be a difficult thing to do, and will take a lot of time if you want to do it safely and keep your $2,000 drone from crashing. Just my 2¢

How about just carrying a plastic line with nozzle with the drone and have container on roof as high as you can get it? Don't forget that the line would wreck the drone if it got into the props. Also a Phantom is extremely stable in flight, just grab a skid and try to tip it over!

Good luck and if you try this, post the video please!!

Jim
WA5TEF

The P4’s will lift a kilo comfortably. With the weight of your container, you won’t have too much left for liquids. As Weston stated, centering the load is crucial. When I lift heavy baits, with a dropper, they have to be hung about 10ft under the center of the AC to stop any swing. Otherwise, down you go. Or, fasten directly to the AC, but the balance point has to be perfect. Assuming all goes well, your load will lessen as your fluid drops. Have a plan B, dump the load! Save your beautiful bird. Can u borrow an old P4S? I’ll cry with you if that PV2+ splats. Good luck.

You can easily lift a quart water bottle to test. Learn the characteristics of lifting. Please have a way of dropping the load, quickly.

Last edited:
If you break your drone trying to do this, and chances are very high that you will, you would have saved a lot of money hiring a professional to come and do this. I work for a construction company, and I am often sent up on roofs to clean the moss off and apply different chemicals to kill moss, and seal the roof from leaks. For a contractor to come and do this for you would cost much less than the drone if something bad happens. But if you are set on doing this you will need a very specific and small spray container securely zip tied to the bottom in at least three places. if anything is hanging off the bottom of your drone in such a way that it can sway you will most likely lose control and the drone will crash. I tried picking up a 2 pound weight with my Phantom 3 standard once as a proof-of-concept. It carried it fine, but it was hanging from two pieces of string that were tied to the legs, And the swaying of the weight eventually got so much as I tried to fly it a few feet over my lawn that I landed the drone before it crashed. You would need to securely fasten a small spray apparatus to the bottom of your Phantom, preferably fastened tightly to the legs so that it doesn't sway, then you'll need a tiny spray wand like the kind you find on cheap weed sprayers from home Depot, and that will need to go to the fastened container, and the container will have to be pressurized somehow, and you will need to securely fastened the spray wand to the drone, and put the sprayer on continuous spray, and carefully fly up and do your work. After all this it is still dangerous. If you like do-it-yourself type of things like I do, it might be a cool idea, but it will be a difficult thing to do, and will take a lot of time if you want to do it safely and keep your $2,000 drone from crashing. Just my 2¢
Not worth trying to hire a professional, especially having to obtain the waivers and working with the FAA as well as the EPA using dangerous fluids/chemicals

The Phantoms were designed to be flying cameras with no other use(s) planned or considered during the engineering phase.

I get the 'maker' movement/mentality and reusing things in new ways, but you're looking to building upon a very specialized platform that is not designed for dispensing chemicals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
I’m thinking maybe you should make a nozzle out of pvc, attach it to the drone connected to a small plastic line long enough to get to the altitude you need. Get a submersible pump attached to the plastic line. Fly the drone to the top and then turn on the pump that is submerged in the cleaner. Be careful not to get the plastic line snagged.
Good luck

I’m thinking maybe you should make a nozzle out of pvc, attach it to the drone connected to a small plastic line long enough to get to the altitude you need. Get a submersible pump attached to the plastic line. Fly the drone to the top and then turn on the pump that is submerged in the cleaner. Be careful not to get the plastic line snagged.
Good luck
The issue with tethering a line to the drone is when he flies out over the roof it will touch the gutter and if the heavy line doesn't bring the drone down, snagging said line on the gutter (which WILL happen) will crash the drone right on the roof. The drone and sprayer have to be one balanced unit. There are some larger drones that have sprayers attached to them that work, so it's possible. Unfortunately I would strongly suggest nobody tries tethering a line to the drone and then flying out over your roof. It probably will crash and then you will need to hire a pro anyway to clean the moss and the broken plastic off your roof.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues