P2V FPV DIY

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've got a Phantom 2 Vision.
  • Functional/Flyable
  • No egg camera
  • Removed gimbal motor from rectangular housing
  • Has updated DJI firmware
  • 1 original battery, 2 new fresh batteries
  • Functional controller
  • Functional range extender (2.4ghz I think)
I've mounted my gopro hero 7 to the spot where the egg camera used to be and it'll work for stationary video recording. I would like to know if there's an FPV solution (camera/transmitter/receiver/goggles) I can buy in order to mount it to the P2V so I'm not flying blind. Ideally, I would use my old galaxy S7 for a screen along with my Gear VR goggles but that is not a deal breaker. I can handle flashing firmware or soldering boards, etc... as long as there are some instructions to follow. I've invested a little time and $ already and would like to finish the project. I'm just unsure of what will work with the existing circuitry/wiring/firmware. I don't want to purchase something that's incompatible. I can hit record on the gopro preflight so I'm not concerned with wiring the gopro at all. I may look into an aftermarket gimbal solution for it in the future but for now, having it look straight ahead and slightly downward is fine.
Thanks,
Mustard

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I've got a Phantom 2 Vision

I've mounted my gopro hero 7 to the spot where the egg camera used to be and it'll work for stationary video recording. I would like to know if there's an FPV solution (camera/transmitter/receiver/goggles) I can buy in order to mount it to the P2V so I'm not flying blind.

Sorry to say that your only option would either be

FInd a 2.4ghz fpv system (transmitter and receiver) and fit that in the same style that the older P2 units had (search the P2 forum for advice on wiring up FPV system)

or change the TX and TX board from a 5.8ghz to a 2.4ghz ( TX is labelled DJ6 or one with the tilt wheel is NDJ6) and fit and 5.8ghz system which are more available than the 2.4ghz units.

Either way its gonna end up costing more than just buying a second hand Phantom 2 Vision plus off ebay

Reactions: DjionMustard
As crash 1 has alluded to, 2.4ghz video system is the easiest solution, but finding said system is becoming harder, as I have been looking myself for my non camera functioning 5.8ghz control P2's. Transmitters (bird side) are available (fatshark 700mW, about $30), but the receiver side not so much. I have recently found a 2.4ghz video receiver/transmitter combo and purchased it, awaiting arrival to test out. The cost is minimal. Of course you would also need something to view the video on (cheap 7" monitor works,non-blue screen) as I'm not sure the phone option would work. Here is the item mentioned. All e RC | Fpv 2.4Ghz 1500 Mw Video Tx And Rx [SU-VLINK24]

As crash 1 has alluded to, 2.4ghz video system is the easiest solution, but finding said system is becoming harder, as I have been looking myself for my non camera functioning 5.8ghz control P2's. Transmitters (bird side) are available (fatshark 700mW, about $30), but the receiver side not so much. I have recently found a 2.4ghz video receiver/transmitter combo and purchased it, awaiting arrival to test out. The cost is minimal. Of course you would also need something to view the video on (cheap 7" monitor works,non-blue screen) as I'm not sure the phone option would work. Here is the item mentioned. All e RC | Fpv 2.4Ghz 1500 Mw Video Tx And Rx [SU-VLINK24]

Oh great, thank you so much for your reply! That was very helpful because it adresses my forum post! I will check out your link and I'll be curious to discover how your approach turns out. I may ping you in the future to find out.

Hello everyone, I've got a Phantom 2 Vision.
  • Functional/Flyable
  • No egg camera
  • Removed gimbal motor from rectangular housing
  • Has updated DJI firmware
  • 1 original battery, 2 new fresh batteries
  • Functional controller
  • Functional range extender (2.4ghz I think)
I've mounted my gopro hero 7 to the spot where the egg camera used to be and it'll work for stationary video recording. I would like to know if there's an FPV solution (camera/transmitter/receiver/goggles) I can buy in order to mount it to the P2V so I'm not flying blind. Ideally, I would use my old galaxy S7 for a screen along with my Gear VR goggles but that is not a deal breaker. I can handle flashing firmware or soldering boards, etc... as long as there are some instructions to follow. I've invested a little time and $ already and would like to finish the project. I'm just unsure of what will work with the existing circuitry/wiring/firmware. I don't want to purchase something that's incompatible. I can hit record on the gopro preflight so I'm not concerned with wiring the gopro at all. I may look into an aftermarket gimbal solution for it in the future but for now, having it look straight ahead and slightly downward is fine.
Thanks,
Mustard

For the Gopro you can buy a cheap chinese gopro gimbal from ebay, it can be wired into the naza so it can be tilted assuming you have the controller with the gimbal wheel, or another method is shown in the video below, you just need the gimbal, the wifi module and the cabling

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For the Gopro you can buy a cheap chinese gopro gimbal from ebay, it can be wired into the naza so it can be tilted assuming you have the controller with the gimbal wheel, or another method is shown in the video below, you just need the gimbal, the wifi module and the cabling

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I really appreciate the attempts to offer solutions from all the member replies. I've been down this "gopro gimbal fpv" road that you've suggested and concluded that it won't accomplish my stated fpv goal. The reason is that, unless I'm mistaken, you cannot wire a gopro 7 to the video feed on a Phantom 2 Vision to use as an FPV camera. A gopro 3? yes, it appears that's what the video addresses. So thank you... genuinely. Once again, I'm grateful and frustrated.

I really appreciate the attempts to offer solutions from all the member replies. I've been down this "gopro gimbal fpv" road that you've suggested and concluded that it won't accomplish my stated fpv goal. The reason is that, unless I'm mistaken, you cannot wire a gopro 7 to the video feed on a Phantom 2 Vision to use as an FPV camera. A gopro 3? yes, it appears that's what the video addresses. So thank you... genuinely. Once again, I'm grateful and frustrated.
After re-reading your post I realized that I misinterpreted what you meant. It appears you're just addressing the gopro mount with a gimbal and nothing having to do with wiring a video feed from it or fpv. Please accept my apology good sir, yoir post is actually helpful to my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers