P2 V+ Submerged for 8 weeks in slurry pit!

Reaction score
My battery failed on my P2 V+ and it went into a controlled descent 8 weeks ago. It was discovered today when a local farmer drained his slurry pi
d7417e15151e9ea00ebddd52774169c4.jpg
t.

Question: is it even worth opening a conversation in terms of restoring it to 'new' condition or should I just dispose off it immediately in trash?

trash it

Reactions: carroll1
Is it worth your time???

Don't power it on. Some parts may be salvageable.
Get some methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.
Scrub it down and wash with distilled water. Dump the electricals in a bag of rice and this will release tiny Asian men. The tiny Asian men will absorb the remaining.

Reactions: yorlik and carroll1
I guess what I want to know is this: It obviously had charge left when it hit the water/faecal material and started to sink, so would this have been enough power to fry the circuit boards before I start investing time and energy to clean things up? No point in starting to dissemble and clean the parts if it is a dead certainty that the parts will have been fried?

I guess what I want to know is this: It obviously had charge left when it hit the water/faecal material and started to sink, so would this have been enough power to fry the circuit boards before I start investing time and energy to clean things up? No point in starting to dissemble and clean the parts if it is a dead certainty that the parts will have been fried?

NO FRY!

Lake water, altho it can be dirty, is very much NOT conductive enough to short stuff out and FRY STUFF. Now your unit was in water long enough that some of the "hermetically sealed electronic components may have absorbed water over that time and are now defective.

But no instant fry to worry about.

Well I never thought it would be possible, but after 8 weeks submerged in slurry, my bird actually took to the sky today in its first test flight! She obviously linked to satellites as she held a steady position. Only problem was that there was no signal received from the camera. The camera also hung limp at start up and there was no motion from it.
Any suggestions on what part needs replaced? I'm pretty certain all the contacts were adequately cleaned.

Is it worth your time???

Don't power it on. Some parts may be salvageable.
Get some methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.
Scrub it down and wash with distilled water. Dump the electricals in a bag of rice and this will release tiny Asian men. The tiny Asian men will absorb the remaining.

I salvaged a cell phone years ago using this method but with a couple of additional steps.

1) Remove battery
2) Open (remove covers) of any enclosed electrical device
3) Clean with regular tap water to get rid of the sludge, dirt, and grime. Use low pressure air to blow off excess water.
4) Clean with mentholated spirits or rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.
5) Scrub it down and wash with distilled water
6) Use low pressure air to blow off excess mentholated spirits or rubbing alcohol and water.
7) Place the electronics and other parts in a bag of rice, gently shake or roll around to make sure the rice is touching everything.
8) Leave in rice overnight
9) Keep fingers crossed - :) - and hope for the best.

Motors should be disassembled for cleaning and when the above steps are completed, you should lubricate them with Amazon.com: Tri-Flow TFBC20027 Superior Pin Point Lubricator (Blister Card Pack) - .25 oz.: Automotive or similar product.

I also used this method to salvage some very expensive industrial control system components at a factory in Lynchburg, VA after a major flood in the early 1970's. They had been under some very dirty water for several days and I was amazed at what we were able to salvage and get working again.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31