Owning a drone does not make you a surveyor or photogrammetrist.

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Lots of people are threatened by "amateur' drone pilots. Fact is that the actual act of flying the drone and getting pictures is so easy that most anyone can do it. The people that have a lot of time and money invested in this technology are threatened by it because they get undercut. I don't believe they have anything to worry about. I guy flying for dronebase or taking real estate shots is no threat to the industrial inspection company or someone doing serious work in the agriculture industry. But these people worry me because they have every intention of lobbying congress etc to make it more difficult for the entry level guys to operate. They would love to see this industry regulated to the point that most guys get forced out making the qualified operators scarce and thereby increasing rates for drone services. I understand their frustration, your a guy with a degree in electrical engineering, a senior controls technician, worked with drones from when you had to build and program your own. Then DJI comes along and blows the doors wide off. Now any yahoo with a credit card can go down to best buy and be taking pretty decent pictures and video that same afternoon and hes cutting into your bottom line by bringing down the cost of drone services. The flying part is so easy that now its all about what kind of sensor you can put on the drone and what can you do with the data. The big guys with deep pockets will always have a lock on that part of the business but they have to be careful because what was once a niche industry is now common.

Reactions: ravedog
Sounds like the president is worried. If what he says is true, then he has nothing to worry about, because drone drivers can not produce results that are satisfactory to the customer.
If what he says is not necessarily true, then he should be worried. Drones are not going anywhere and their capabilities are in their infancy.

It’s really just an indictment of the regulation in his industry if this is a problem. There’s been surveyor licensing forever, and if some guy can buy a drone off eBay and put his hat into the ring, it sounds like the standards may be a bit outdated.

It’s no different than anything else, you get what you pay for: sooner or later the guys that are doing it on the cheap are going to run out of capability, and the customer has to go find this guy: that’s pretty much the same process as with any service vendor. You don’t whine about the guy doing cut rate painting, you make your own painting good enough where people will pay what you’re asking. There’s always going to be a spectrum of abilities and capabilities in any industry. Just find the niche.

This conversation reminds me of a wedding photographer friend who didn't mind all the amateurs with cameras taking advantage of the poses he had set up, etc., as long as they didn't get in his way. He said their results always made his work look that much better.

Lots of people are threatened by "amateur' drone pilots. Fact is that the actual act of flying the drone and getting pictures is so easy that most anyone can do it. The people that have a lot of time and money invested in this technology are threatened by it because they get undercut. I don't believe they have anything to worry about. I guy flying for dronebase or taking real estate shots is no threat to the industrial inspection company or someone doing serious work in the agriculture industry. But these people worry me because they have every intention of lobbying congress etc to make it more difficult for the entry level guys to operate. They would love to see this industry regulated to the point that most guys get forced out making the qualified operators scarce and thereby increasing rates for drone services. I understand their frustration, your a guy with a degree in electrical engineering, a senior controls technician, worked with drones from when you had to build and program your own. Then DJI comes along and blows the doors wide off. Now any yahoo with a credit card can go down to best buy and be taking pretty decent pictures and video that same afternoon and hes cutting into your bottom line by bringing down the cost of drone services. The flying part is so easy that now its all about what kind of sensor you can put on the drone and what can you do with the data. The big guys with deep pockets will always have a lock on that part of the business but they have to be careful because what was once a niche industry is now common.

No, it's still a niche market. What you're saying is like claiming that because of the cameras on the iPhone, the photography industry is no longer a niche market, which is blatantly incorrect.

Drones are not going anywhere and their capabilities are in their infancy.
Just like the invention of the automobile had a big impact on buggy whip makers, drones are already having a big impact on a number of occupations.
Surveying is just one area being affected.
Surveyors that are too slow to get on board with the new technology are really missing out.
Here's a little detail from an orthophoto and contour plan of a 58 acre site done with a Phantom and a little help from a surveyor to set a few ground control points.
The whole project was done in a fraction of the time it would have required without a drone and produces results that are more than good enough for the client's requirements.
i-ZTWQBG2-L.jpg

Reactions: Erised and BigAl07
Yep that's a rant alright! pretty winded one at that. First of all a company who needs high end logistics will go to a provider with a good track record and can back up his claims. Around here mining and forestry companies won't hire a guy with a drone that claims he can do it just because he says he can. Second just to start in this business with low end results using a P4 with so so software plus the license and insurance will cost you north of 10 grand just for basic equipment (really low end). Being in Canada you better know how to jump hoops too. For some contracts I think this type of data would be fine but the entry fee is not cheap and knowing how it's done well cost a whole lot more. Will technology increase his competition? You betcha! My advice to him would be to maintain a high quality and don't over charge his clients or they may just get their drone and get their own staff trained. I think the future in this business will be training and supply and maintenance of the equipment. Smaller companies will farm this type of work out but bigger companies do their own. I know the big local mines around here have their own drones and I have seen their work and it's really good and the software cost more than my pickup. I went to college as a surveyor (that's not what I do now) and I would not dream of using my fun pass time as work, others see it as work and a drone is just another tool. Can't stop technology, go with it or step aside.

Reactions: ravedog
No, it's still a niche market. What you're saying is like claiming that because of the cameras on the iPhone, the photography industry is no longer a niche market, which is blatantly incorrect.
Actually that's not what I was saying at all but ok. I know drone pilots that had a lock on aerial photography business before the DJI revolution. They built their own drones and did a great job. It was a niche market for them, there was very little competition. Then DJI came in and changed that. Now any one can be doing what they used to do without as much effort. the specialized guys will always have an advantage because they will be able to do things better. But drone base will hire anyone with a phantom that can do the work. You can litterally sign up on the internet, pass a basic course and fly with them. drone photography is no longer out if reach to the average person. It's not expensive or rare.

Reactions: BigAl07
Fact is that the actual act of flying the drone and getting pictures is so easy that most anyone can do it.
I think this is the point of the article. There are so many bad map makers out there (from the entry level Phantom user to the $50k fixed wing user) that the market is getting swamped by bad data. If a client gets a taste of the bad data, it's going to make them second guess the technology as a whole and they're not likely to hire someone, no matter what their credentials say. You're absolutely right though, DJI and other hardware manufacturers are making the data collection portion easy. The hard part is, and always has been, making meaningful products out of the easy to acquire imagery. Not a single day goes by on this forum (or any other drone forum) where someone can't get their "push-button map" to come out in the right place, scale correctly, be in the right coordinate system, not dive off at an angle, etc. This isn't always easy, and it's not always straight-forward. I hope that there is more regulation because I don't want to see this amazing technology get a bad reputation because of amateur surveyors, photogrammetrists, and cartographers.

As mentioned above, the tools does not make the product good, I know some bad mechanics using snap on tools and some real good ones using no name tools they got in a yard sale. Regulate all you wish, even the bad apples manage to get a license, just look at some of the drivers out there, they took the course, passed the test, paid the fee. As a society we can't discriminate the ones who wish to make money at this, most will not make it, and the ones who do, deserve the right to provide the service, You can't get your drivers license before you have done your time with a learners permit. I see it as many want to get on the band wagon because they love to fly only to realize that once the craft has landed the real work begins and the fun stop there. Like all other businesses the ones who strive to get better and deliver a good product may just make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: doecliff
As a society we can't discriminate the ones who wish to make money at this
Actually, most US states have rules against the average layperson creating topographic maps, orthomosaics, providing georeferenced imagery, etc. The reason for this is because the average layperson isn't a licensed surveyor or engineer and providing bad data can have real life consequences. How many of these "pop-ups" are carrying errors and omission or liability insurance if their map is off? Who's going to foot the bill when someone uses that data to plan a subdivision and they use the wrong coordinate system? If you think this can't happen, then a quick search for surveyor lawsuits might change your mind. The farther into cadastral and design mapping territory that a UAV operator ventures, the more important it is to understand the product being produced, and I don't have a lot of confidence in those that don't know the difference between a checkpoint and a GCP, or those using a cloud-based product to deliver to their client. This isn't driving, this is survey-grade mapping.

Actually, most US states have rules against the average layperson creating topographic maps, orthomosaics, providing georeferenced imagery, etc. The reason for this is because the average layperson isn't a licensed surveyor or engineer and providing bad data can have real life consequences. How many of these "pop-ups" are carrying errors and omission or liability insurance if their map is off? Who's going to foot the bill when someone uses that data to plan a subdivision and they use the wrong coordinate system? If you think this can't happen, then a quick search for surveyor lawsuits might change your mind. The farther into cadastral and design mapping territory that a UAV operator ventures, the more important it is to understand the product being produced, and I don't have a lot of confidence in those that don't know the difference between a checkpoint and a GCP, or those using a cloud-based product to deliver to their client. This isn't driving, this is survey-grade mapping.
I agree that drone pilots just can't go take some arial shots and say it's a map. But there is some data that could be used for specific clients, data pertinent to the project and not sold as "a map". The rules and laws are already present for this type of work and by making more drone rules will not prevent this from occuring. I agree to laws for surveying but because some will use drones I don't believe in adding more regulations to drones will help. The rules and regs are for surveyors to follow. It's only that when something happens and the person screwing up owns a drone some think new drone rugulation have to be made. Drones don't make maps they just fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT