Overloaded Motors

Reaction score
So I have another question with overloaded motors. The last few days, I keep getting a "Motor Overloaded. Aircraft will decelerate to ensure safety". As far as I can tell, it behaves normally and I don't notice anything obvious. The motors dont smell burnt, and arent discolored. Is this normal to get every now and then? I do keep the drone moving at a brisk pace but I'm not performing maneuvers that should be burning out motors...

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have never seen this kind of motor overloading message though few on the forum have reported such issues.

Motor overloading could be due to following reasons but if that happens controller will reduce the speed to lower the burden on the motors assuming that load is speed dependent:

1. Motors are not free to move
2. Motors don't produce right torque
3. Oversized props are used
4. Additional load is added as a payload
5. Currents have reached ESC limits
6. Batteries have reached current limitation
7. Undersized motors are used
8. Excessive wind pressure

I painted my spare props just recently, and the error message came up alot today when I flew with them... You think 4 coats of rustoleum could have added enough weight to trip that warning?

For sure. They are probably no longer balanced now either. You should toss them, buy a new set, and dye them with Rit dye (like this).

Reactions: FlashBuddy
Damnit. I was afraid of that. I lightly sanded the paint to even it out and bring the weight down. Great idea with the dye... Do you dip the props into the dye or brush it on? Msinger

I have also received the motor overloaded warning several times. It actually came and went a few times, even started to come up then went away before it was completely legible.

I was pushing hard to see if it would come up. I didn't experience any flight issues and did not get the battery overheating message. Once I landed the battery was pretty warm. I did run the battery down to critically low, to see if I could override the forced landing. I was able to override the forced landing by maintaining throttle up.

I wish DJI would give us the ability to cancel out of the force landing like we once had. The red X comes up, yet it is not functional (see picture). I much rather crash land on land, than softly land on water.

At this point, I am feeling like the motor overloaded message is an unintended consequence of the latest firmware being too sensitive.

I'd love to hear others input...

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• P3.png
    P3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 440
You could try shooting out debris with an air duster and then if that doesn't work try flushing the motors with 90% isopropyl alcohol. And then let it dry (make sure the battery is out).

You could try shooting out debris with an air duster and then if that doesn't work try flushing the motors with 90% isopropyl alcohol. And then let it dry (make sure the battery is out).

Thanks. I really don't think there is anything wrong with my motors. I only have 54 flights and have not had any flight issues. I think the issue is the software/firmware.

When I worked as an auto tech we actually had to numb down some software because drivers were getting codes from random things because the software was to sensitive. I have used the compressed air in the can before and had an issue when the can spit out some of the propellant, which worried me that it might hurt the windings of the motor. I don't think alcohol would be good for the motor either, concerned it might strip the coating from the wires...

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks. I really don't think there is anything wrong with my motors. I only have 54 flights and have not had any flight issues. I think the issue is the software/firmware.

When I worked as an auto tech we actually had to numb down some software because drivers were getting codes from random things because the software was to sensitive. I have used the compressed air in the can before and had an issue when the can spit out some of the propellant, which worried me that it might hurt the windings of the motor. I don't think alcohol would be good for the motor either, concerned it might strip the coating from the wires...

Thanks,
Mark
As long as you keep the can in an upright orientation you should be propellant free! :)

Thanks,
Mark
Not only that, but you could wash the lubricant out of the bearings. I know they are sort of sealed but if the alcohol or other solvent gets in, oil will come out.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31