Overheating battery

Reaction score
Battery overheating anybody had that problem it came up on my tablet while flying my p3a had about 35% battery when alert befab

Battery overheating anybody had that problem it came up on my tablet while flying my p3a had about 35% battery when alert
Battery percentage has nothing to do with temperature. This can occur when the outside temps are quite high, and/or if you have not stored your battery properly before flight...eg. leaving the battery in a hot vehicle. You should not fly with overheating batteries. They will shut down at a certain point.

Battery overheating anybody had that problem it came up on my tablet while flying my p3a had about 35% battery when alert befab
Depend on what you doing you could shorten flights a bit,I never fly full batt anymore cause Yeh does get bit warm,could do long reverse circles so air cools battery down a bit,,even the p4 ones get hot

Reactions: Jgreg
Various factors cause increased battery temp :

1. High ambient temperature
2. Aggressive flying - lots of stop / starts and climb outs
3. Battery getting old or excessive periods of high charged state

They are just a few.

To correct a comment made earlier : Battery state of charge CAN affect temperature of a pack when in use. The reason is that it requires WATTS to fly and as the packs charge is consumed - the Voltage decreases ... to compensate and keep action continuous - the Amps increase. Amps increase is opposed by Internal Resistance - causing heat.

Simple maths :

Full charged pack at 17.4V ... lets say it needs 174W to hover = 10A
Strorage level pack at ~ 15V ... still requires 174W = 11.6A

That 1.6A increase may not seem much - but its enough if battery is already working hard. And note that is at storage charge level - NOT at the levels we can push packs down to.

Last edited:
What was the maximum battery temperature you recorded? I have had a maximum battery temperature of 152.5 degrees F in the Phoenix, Arizona, USA area. I did not get a warning and I have had many more flights on that battery and that P3P aircraft. I am just curious.
Joe
KC7GHT

I recently had flights where the battery got near 150f. That seems really hot. Anyone know what the limit is?
It was almost too hot to touch when I pulled it out after flight. Flying was mellow, not aggressive, not fast. Battery is 2015 with 90 charge cycles and slight imbalance.
Graph of battery

Ambient temp was probably near 90f

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers