Over The Top

Reaction score
Know one in their right mind wants to lose a $1600.00 drone.
The younger generation won't get it, but at 69 years of age and experiencing years of government.
I do not recognize it anymore, promoting a scar tactic about toys bringing down airliners and killing hundreds of people is a bit over the top. We all know about airline tragedies and none of them involved a flock of toy drones. Just fly responsibly.

Reactions: Curt47
The younger generation won't get it, but at 69 years of age and experiencing years of government.
You might be surprised to know that a very large percentage of flyers are well in to their 40's and above. There are a few that are younger but the ratio is far greater older than younger.

You might be surprised to know that a very large percentage of flyers are well in to their 40's and above. There are a few that are younger but the ratio is far greater older than younger.
I was too busy providing for my family, to play with such toys. I use to go with my friend to the field in Dallas to watch him fly his remote plane. I watched it fly 400 ft. into an uncontrolled power dive into Texas hard clay. The engine went 8 inches deep. Man, I wanted to fly one bad. I'd dream about it. Poverty kept me from doing it. Lol

Know one in their right mind wants to lose a $1600.00 drone.
First of all it's "No one in..."
Not all drones are $1,600. People do stupid things with even expensive equipment. DJI Care Refresh makes it even easier to do stupid things because the operators have this cavalier attitude and take risks they shouldn't. I have seen it many many times on these forums.

Don't get what? Where is the rest of the sentence? Age doesn't matter. It's the attitude that matters. Again, from looking at posts on these forums you will see plenty of older operators doing all of the same things that the younger ones do.

I do not recognize it anymore, promoting a scar tactic about toys bringing down airliners and killing hundreds of people is a bit over the top. We all know about airline tragedies and none of them involved a flock of toy drones. Just fly responsibly.
It is not a "scare" tactic. If we had not already having people doing extremely reckless things with drones then perhaps the government would not need to get involved. No we have not yet seen an airline tragedy due to a flock of toy drones. Is that what it should take to enact proper regulations? Do you want to be the one who loses a family member because of it? I don't think so.
It does not take a flock of drones by the way. The regulations for our class of UAS cover any quad copter up to 55 pounds. See what happens if a 55 pound hunk of metal, large spinning props and large LiPo batteries is sucked into a jet engine. See what happens if that UAS hits a small single engine airplane like a Cessna 172. I can guarantee you that it won't be pretty.

Those of us who have piloted fixed wing aircraft know what a danger any object can pose if it hits an aircraft.

Yes indeed we all should "Just fly responsibly". The problem is that not all do. There are those who just do whatever they feel like doing because they know best. There need to be laws to protect all of us against those people.

"If we had not already having people doing extremely reckless............... "
Is that supposed to be:
If we have not already had people doing extremely reckless...........

What's good for the goose thing, ya know?

I can’t find it now, but an airline pilot laughed and said drones wasn’t a brother to large jets. It was on this forum. Of course we aren’t talking about 55 lb. drones. He made the remark that the pilots call the tower, as required when they hit a drone. He that it was a common thing. He said the size and the turbulence of an airliner was no match for a drone.

Reactions: Kirby Johnson
I can’t find it now, but an airline pilot laughed and said drones wasn’t a brother to large jets. It was on this forum. Of course we aren’t talking about 55 lb. drones. He made the remark that the pilots call the tower, as required when they hit a drone. He that it was a common thing. He said the size and the turbulence of an airliner was no match for a drone.
Right. If you've been in the aviation industry for decades like I have, and seen the bird strike tests, and also if you know that there are no 55 pound cast iron engine block drones flying around, and also realize that there are still many more Geese etc. up there than there are drones, and at much higher altitudes too, you take these hand wringings with a grain of salt. BTW, a big fat Canadian Goose is much more of a threat than a little Chinese toy airplane. And they DO fly in formation ! :coldsweat:

Right. If you've been in the aviation industry for decades like I have, and seen the bird strike tests, and also if you know that there are no 55 pound cast iron engine block drones flying around, and also realize that there are still many more Geese etc. up there than there are drones, and at much higher altitudes too, you take these hand wringings with a grain of salt. BTW, a big fat Canadian Goose is much more of a threat than a little Chinese toy airplane. And they DO fly in formation ! :coldsweat:

Hi Kirby so are you saying that in your opinion, if a phantom 4 went into the engine of an airliner nothing would happen to the engine..?

Waylander

I kinda’ doubt if that person was an actual ATP. After numerous bird strikes on my aircraft in many years, they ALL are a big concern.

Some have caused minimal damage, while others have had much greater impact in critical areas that necessitated a flight diversion or change in operational parameters.

Drone strike testing is only the beginning of understanding the effect of a drone strike on a manned aircraft. Hopefully a drone and a manned aircraft never meet in the same occupied airspace.

Fly safe. [emoji106]

Not all drones are $1,600. People do stupid things with even expensive equipment. DJI Care Refresh makes it even easier to do stupid things because the operators have this cavalier attitude and take risks they shouldn't. I have seen it many many times on these forums.

Don't get what? Where is the rest of the sentence? Age doesn't matter. It's the attitude that matters. Again, from looking at posts on these forums you will see plenty of older operators doing all of the same things that the younger ones do.

It is not a "scare" tactic. If we had not already having people doing extremely reckless things with drones then perhaps the government would not need to get involved. No we have not yet seen an airline tragedy due to a flock of toy drones. Is that what it should take to enact proper regulations? Do you want to be the one who loses a family member because of it? I don't think so.
It does not take a flock of drones by the way. The regulations for our class of UAS cover any quad copter up to 55 pounds. See what happens if a 55 pound hunk of metal, large spinning props and large LiPo batteries is sucked into a jet engine. See what happens if that UAS hits a small single engine airplane like a Cessna 172. I can guarantee you that it won't be pretty.

Those of us who have piloted fixed wing aircraft know what a danger any object can pose if it hits an aircraft.

Yes indeed we all should "Just fly responsibly". The problem is that not all do. There are those who just do whatever they feel like doing because they know best. There need to be laws to protect all of us against those people.
This is a Phantom Pilot forum, I never heard of a 55 pound Phantom. All my posts are directed towards Phantoms. Soon the Phantom forum will be on it's way out since DJI discontinued the line.
We will all need to join the Mavic forum. Now those are real toys.

High speed impacts are complex phenomena. To state one or the other (bird-drone) is a greater threat is dimensionless.

Birds are sacks of water (like most organisms) with lightweight low density skeletons. Water is incompressible and the bones are highly frangeable. Their impact damage to airframes and ingestion damage to engines are well documented and studied (understood?)

Thus we DO know the damage that FOD does to airframes and engines, and pound-for-pound, birds do far less damage per incident than metal & rocks do.

I kinda’ doubt if that person was an actual ATP. After numerous bird strikes on my aircraft in many years, they ALL are a big concern.

Some have caused minimal damage, while others have had much greater impact in critical areas that necessitated a flight diversion or change in operational parameters.

Drone strike testing is only the beginning of understanding the effect of a drone strike on a manned aircraft. Hopefully a drone and a manned aircraft never meet in the same occupied airspace.

Fly safe. [emoji106]
Exactly correct. THANK YOU for lending some real life experience from the ATP side!

This is a Phantom Pilot forum, I never heard of a 55 pound Phantom. All my posts are directed towards Phantoms. Soon the Phantom forum will be on it's way out since DJI discontinued the line.
We will all need to join the Mavic forum. Now those are real toys.
All well and good except that you did not limit your comments to Phantoms...just a flock of drones.

Like it or not, the regulations apply to a Spark, a Phantom, a Matrice, or anything else up to 55 pounds. If you feel that the regulations should be different for lower weight class drones, then that is a different story. For the time being, since we are all in that same class of UAV, we need to make sure everyone is flying safely and respecting the NAS.

All well and good except that you did not limit your comments to Phantoms...just a flock of drones.

Like it or not, the regulations apply to a Spark, a Phantom, a Matrice, or anything else up to 55 pounds. If you feel that the regulations should be different for lower weight class drones, then that is a different story. For the time being, since we are all in that same class of UAV, we need to make sure everyone is flying safely and respecting the NAS.
Great Point

I’m 75 and still flying. When age/health catch up with me I’ll ground myself. Drones, which I’ve been flying for 4 or so years will be a nice transition to keep flying. As for bird strikes my Army King Air hit what was most likely an owl. The U-shaped dent in the leading edge of the wing required major repairs. It could easily have been much worse. Airliners are not the only aircraft threatened by seemingly lightweight threats.

I’m 75 and still flying. When age/health catch up with me I’ll ground myself. Drones, which I’ve been flying for 4 or so years will be a nice transition to keep flying. As for bird strikes my Army King Air hit what was most likely an owl. The U-shaped dent in the leading edge of the wing required major repairs. It could easily have been much worse. Airliners are not the only aircraft threatened by seemingly lightweight threats.

Many MC 12W’s are still flying today in many parts of the world. Hawker-Beechcraft always built good airframes.

Thank you for your service sir. [emoji106]

Blue Skies and Calm Winds.

The discontinued Phantom line was more than $1600.00. This is a Phantom Pilot Forum.

Yes, more laws, that is exactly what we need. More laws, more regulations, more rules, more guidelines, more procedures, more directives, more, more more… The more the government guides me, the safer I feel.
Pretty soon, I’ll feel so safe, I will just let the government fly my drone for me. I mean, the people who got elected to office have to be the smartest people in the land: right?
After watching the 20 people running for President promise to provide everything that I will ever need, from cradle grave, well, I guess I won’t have enough money left to buy a drone anyway. So, “What me worry?”

Yes, more laws, that is exactly what we need. More laws, more regulations, more rules, more guidelines, more procedures, more directives, more, more more… The more the government guides me, the safer I feel.
Pretty soon, I’ll feel so safe, I will just let the government fly my drone for me. I mean, the people who got elected to office have to be the smartest people in the land: right?
After watching the 20 people running for President promise to provide everything that I will ever need, from cradle grave, well, I guess I won’t have enough money left to buy a drone anyway. So, “What me worry?”
It's not about YOU feeling safe. It's about those around you feeling safe. Should we all be allowed to drive cars without licensing or laws? Since anyone can buy a drone at Best Buy and be in the air within 5 minutes, it's to protect the rest of us from those that have no regard for the NAS.

High speed impacts are complex phenomena. To state one or the other (bird-drone) is a greater threat is dimensionless.

Birds are sacks of water (like most organisms) with lightweight low density skeletons. Water is incompressible and the bones are highly frangeable. Their impact damage to airframes and ingestion damage to engines are well documented and studied (understood?)

Thus we DO know the damage that FOD does to airframes and engines, and pound-for-pound, birds do far less damage per incident than metal & rocks do.
Hi Kirby so are you saying that in your opinion, if a phantom 4 went into the engine of an airliner nothing would happen to the engine..?

Waylander
I’m wondering about the effect of the shredding and pressure on a LiPo battery pack rather than just the drone body.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga