Over exposure compensation means screen is almost black.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I crashed my drone and replaced it , syncing the new drone to the controller.
Since then all images are over exposed , to the degree that to compensate I have to make the screen so dark that I can’t see what I’m taking a picture of.
Do I need to reset everything including a complete software re install or is there an alternative method.
I’m shooting in both JPEG and RAW and processing on lightroom.
Filming is fine , not over exposed !?!
Thank you for any help / guidance.
Cheers
Al

Is your EV set to a high positive number? That is usually the issue when someone posts with similar symptoms.

Reactions: JoBe
Is your EV set to a high positive number? That is usually the issue when someone posts with similar symptoms.
No the EV is in the negative, I have to go down really low to get an image I can work with, but I just can’t see on the screen.

No the EV is in the negative, I have to go down really low to get an image I can work with, but I just can’t see on the screen.
Something is wrong but more information is needed to work out what it is.
Try adjusting your camera settings to A for Aperture Priority, ISO 100 and your aperture to F5.6 like this:
i-g75q4XF-M.jpg

Then shoot an average scene with those settings - no need to fly, just set up the drone on a box or something and shoot a shot of your backyard, a wall etc etc.
Then post the full original jpg here.

Reactions: JoBe and Capt KO
Hi Meta4 , Thanks for the help !
Today is overcast here, we are next to the water and surrounded by greenery (In the tropics).
This is the image as per your instructions, as you can see still over exposed, but i have never worked on A before, so this is something new.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 16.44.24.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 16.44.24.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 200
Something is wrong but more information is needed to work out what it is.
Try adjusting your camera settings to A for Aperture Priority, ISO 100 and your aperture to F5.6 like this:
i-g75q4XF-M.jpg

Then shoot an average scene with those settings - no need to fly, just set up the drone on a box or something and shoot a shot of your backyard, a wall etc etc.
Then post the full original jpg here.
Hi Meta4,
Thanks for the help ! I set up the camera as you said and the image is in the file comment below. I then increased to 7.1 as it was still overexposed. I will still go higher but it's looking much better and i'm feeling a bit more confident. I need a good sunny day to try again and i will let you know how it goes. Much appreciated , Cheers Al

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 17.08.38.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 17.08.38.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 174
Reactions: JoBe
Hi Meta4,
Thanks for the help ! I set up the camera as you said and the image is in the file comment below. I then increased to 7.1 as it was still overexposed. I will still go higher but it's looking much better and i'm feeling a bit more confident. I need a good sunny day to try again and i will let you know how it goes. Much appreciated , Cheers Al
Can you post the full, original jpg file please so I can check the metadata?

I then increased to 7.1 as it was still overexposed.
If the camera is set to Aperture priority, and the resulting shot is overexposed at one aperture setting, it will still be over exposed at any other aperture setting.
Aperture Priority means that you choose the aperture you want to use and the camera's metering chooses an appropriate shutter speed to give what it thinks is proper exposure.
If I can see all of the metadata, in the full image, I might be able to work out what's not right.

Hi everyone,
I crashed my drone and replaced it , syncing the new drone to the controller.
Since then all images are over exposed , to the degree that to compensate I have to make the screen so dark that I can’t see what I’m taking a picture of.
Do I need to reset everything including a complete software re install or is there an alternative method.
OK ... That looks like your camera's meter is overexposing by about 2 stops.
You could confirm this by leaving those camera settings as they are and adjusting the Exposure Compensation to EV -2.0 and see what that looks like.

I'm not sure what would cause this. One thing to try would be to reset the camera settings to the factory default values and see what that does.

OK ... That looks like your camera's meter is overexposing by about 2 stops.
You could confirm this by leaving those camera settings as they are and adjusting the Exposure Compensation to EV -2.0 and see what that looks like.

I'm not sure what would cause this. One thing to try would be to reset the camera settings to the factory default values and see what that does.
Sounds like a plan , i'll have a go now you've pointed me in the right direction. The light is going here now in Tonga and with the clouds its hard to tell. I did a quick process of that image and it doesnt look too bad but i'm sure i can get it better if i adjust the EV.

Attachments

• untitled-0028-2.jpg
    untitled-0028-2.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 180
Sounds like a plan , i'll have a go now you've pointed me in the right direction. The light is going here now in Tonga and with the clouds its hard to tell. I did a quick process of that image and it doesnt look too bad but i'm sure i can get it better if i adjust the EV.
That's looking a lot better.
It would be interesting to see what adjusting the exposure compensation does.
2 stops was just a guess, it might need a little more or less, so play around with it to see.
I'd do that first before resetting the camera settings.
Once you know how much the meter's exposure is out by, then try resetting and see if that fixes things.
Here's where you can find the Reset:
Click the cog icon, then scroll down the page (past what looks like the bottom).
i-gqjMxD9-L.jpg

Reactions: Capt KO
That's looking a lot better.
It would be interesting to see what adjusting the exposure compensation does.
2 stops was just a guess, it might need a little more or less, so play around with it to see.
I'd do that first before resetting the camera settings.
Once you know how much the meter's exposure is out by, then try resetting and see if that fixes things.
Here's where you can find the Reset:
Click the cog icon, then scroll down the page (past what looks like the bottom).
i-gqjMxD9-L.jpg
Thanks so much for the help , I’d pretty much stopped using the drone because I was so fed up with the images I was getting. As summer is here and better weather around the islands I wanted to use it more and now I can. I will post an image on this thread when I have a good day :)

It is probably something wrong with the camera. I would send the cam back where you bought it and replace it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic