Options for getting out of tree

In my fight case I allways have:
a95772561474c75c66caa17a4bbed416_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I have successfully used a slingshot and a 1oz fishing weight twice to rescue my old Syma x5 from high trees.
Use half a fishing pole with 50lb braided line on the reel. Tie the lead weight to the braid, and use the slingshot to fire the weight over the tree limb. Could take a few tries but hopefully you get close.
Once over the limb, ease the weight down by reeling backwards until you have it in hand. Then with both ends of the braid, shake like crazy and the bird will fall. Works like a charm for me.. Good luck!

Reactions: mikesmiley
I have successfully used a slingshot and a 1oz fishing weight twice to rescue my old Syma x5 from high trees.
Use half a fishing pole with 50lb braided line on the reel. Tie the lead weight to the braid, and use the slingshot to fire the weight over the tree limb. Could take a few tries but hopefully you get close.
Once over the limb, ease the weight down by reeling backwards until you have it in hand. Then with both ends of the braid, shake like crazy and the bird will fall. Works like a charm for me.. Good luck!

This is exactly the method I use. Fortunately I haven't gotten my P3P stuck in a tree yet, but I've used that to salvage the neighbor's toy drones.

Mike

I love slingshots, and have a half a dozen of them. Particularly fond of the Saunders Archery, Falcon II.
Saunders Archery - Falcon-2™ | Wrist-Rocket®
A good friend back in the Czech Republic builds some of the most amazing slings, I have ever seen. He was even kind enough to me, that he sent me one of his creations, free. ;-)
You may see some of his brilliant ingenuity here:
Slingshots of the world
He's a university professor over there, and extremely bright. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: yorlik
I love slingshots, and have a half a dozen of them. Particularly fond of the Saunders Archery, Falcon II.
Saunders Archery - Falcon-2™ | Wrist-Rocket®
A good friend back in the Czech Republic builds some of the most amazing slings, I have ever seen. He was even kind enough to me, that he sent me one of his creations, free. ;-)

RedHotPoker
Nice one RHP, sounds like a nice piece of work.. But for me I only purchased one specifically to get the drone down from the tree.. Wal Mart $10 special, but did the trick! Never used it since!

If you practice with it, you may bring down dinner... Haha
I added a link for Vlastimil...

RedHotPoker

I used a 30-06. I did break the limb on the 3rd shot...that is the good news. It appeared that it would cascade down other limbs and fall gently to the terra firma. However, it fell 50 ft straight down to hard ground. I should have had a helper catch it. But what do I know. Good luck!

Reactions: Digdat0
just cut it down. if that's no an option, i had a smaller drone get caught on a tree limb one time and i used my AR-15 (assault rifle) to shoot the limb. took about 10 shots but it finally fell.

No, you didn't.

Seriously, dude, you need to understand that this isn't a forum full of your middle school buddies. It's mostly all grown men here, and nobody is impressed. You need to read more and talk less.

We were all young, once.Think hard, way back when...
Probably need an Adult and Family section, for distinction...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
No, you didn't.

Seriously, dude, you need to understand that this isn't a forum full of your middle school buddies. It's mostly all grown men here, and nobody is impressed. You need to read more and talk less.
so are you saying this forum is ONLY for old people? look, OP asked how to get unstuck from tree. i've been in that position so i posted what i did to get out. as you can see, i'm not the only one that's used that method. if you owned or shot guns, you would know you can shoot tree limbs - dead ones to make them fall or to get things unstuck. it's just common sense.

obviously you've never been stuck in a tree so why are you even responding? if my comment was offensive to your feelings, pretty sure you can block me so you don't get so worked up next time.

Reactions: ConnaZA
I have a second "revcovery drone", which is a Quanum Nova that I bought used for $150 ifc RCGroups, and i hang an aporopriate length of fine braided line from(enough to put me both 30 above the tree top, and also enough to reach the ground with 20' to spare) with a 1/4 oz sinker on , and 1' below that, the largest treble hook i could buy at sporting good store (about 2" accross...important, remove the barbs with a file first), and have twice successfully hooked and lifted off the stranded drone. The reason for having the line long enough to reach the ground, is in case you get the hook stuck, and it wont budge, you can land your drone

And landing it is very tricky without getting the line caught in the props, whuch is why tge extra 20'...sort of
have to pull it sideways and drift down slowly...

For those who are smiling, yes, i learned by accident about the need for enough line to land, and was fortunate i had enough ...then it became a requirement...

Last edited:
I should also note, that it is helpful to set up a tarp underneath the drone, if you can, about 3 ' off the ground streched like a "safety net"...2nd rescue mission pulled myp3 off the branch without hooking into it solid. It was in my yard, and i was able to have the tarp underneath, it caught it, but not without some damage...which would have been worse without the tarp...not very good on my nerves either.

I would help in some cases if the phantoms had an option like my Parrot AR 2, when stuck in a tree you can activate the rescue mode. It activates alternate motors to rock the craft back and forth. Not going to work in every case but has saved me a climb in the past.
As to using a rifle to retrieve a stuck quad, I'd try a shotgun first. You'll have even less control of where that rifle round will land than you had of the quad you landed in the tree.

My one stuck-in-a-tree experience was fixed with a bow and arrow, line attached to the arrow. I aimed to loop the line around the craft, not the branch, so when I finally did hook it and shook it loose from the branch, I had the line to gently lower it from there rather than let it crash 50' to the ground.

I suppose a hybrid approach would work: once you have a line on the craft, you could shoot another line that is designed just to shake the branch, hooked further out toward the end of the branch.

Reactions: Digdat0
I had some 10' molding in the garage, duct taped 3 pieces together and a clothes hanger on the end as a hook. A bit wobbly but the drone came down bouncing limb to limb and landed on the opposite side of the tree from where I was waiting to catch it.

The bow & arrow tip got me thinking & I just called a local Archery school, They offer a service to retrieve planes, drones, kites, etc stuck at heights, He told me that 40 to 60' seems to be the average height that the owner won't climb, can't say as I would climb a 60' tree either. They shoot a light weight line over branches close to the plane/drone & drag up a heavier line, same as the catapult, elastic/tube shooters.
So far, almost 100% success rate.(he doesn't count the RC plane that when pulled out of tree, flew head on into a huge rock & disintegrated!
Archery schools may be a good contact to have in your phone!
I've had this happen a couple of times. I bought a children's bow and arrow set called a Li'l Sue. Bow strength is about 15 pounds so you won't overshoot or be a danger to anyone. Get some 50 to 100 lb. test line, shoot behind the drone and work the string forward.

Last week I called my local fire dept. Fellow was able to climb up and the use my swimming pool net to recover it. Very pleasant way to recover. I have also used a fishing rod setup and casted over the branch then pulled a rope over branch to shake it down. donnie

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20