Operating for Free? P3S

Im sure you old timers love living in a nanny state and im sure you are also brainwashed into not using your own judgement and sence . This is why nothing gets changed cos you get told what to do and you do it get some balls and say NO for once in your life and enjoy something ????

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

says the child that does NOT live here!

what are you? about 10

Define "safe". Is it as in you can't possibly hurt any one by filing a wedding? If you think it can't happen, I'll supply links to several videos.

If you think you are "perfectly safe" today as you go about you life I have news for you.

Sure anything "could" happen. The sky "could" fall today.
But if you operate as safely and responsibly as you can, and people at the wedding AGREE that it is ok, then I don't think we need to report to government nannys to hold our hands and tell us when, how, where, what and how much it will cost.

If you injure someone, and subsequently get sued, then that's on you. But AGAIN, we don't need Federal Government intervention.

What's incredibly sad to me beyond this is the number of people who are so willing to hand over control of such small daily things to people who know nothing about them and are possibly thousands of miles away and quite frankly don't give a **** about you.

My question to tcope is....

Why do you feel people are so stupid and inherently dangerous that we ALL need a large, powerful all encompassing government to direct our every move? Stupid, irresponsible people need to be dealt with. Granted. But that doesn't mean we ALL need a government nanny.

We "should" be able to operate our Phantoms (for PAY) at less than 400 feet anywhere we can do so without endangering others or have explicit permission to do so from the property owner or event organizer. If something happens then the court system is waiting.
Did you know that 10 year olds have been written citations for selling lemonade on their front lawns?
Is this really what our nation should be about?

What tcope and many fail to realize is that all of this "control" they are so willingly handing over to "government" is actually being handed to the elitist.
Mega money controls every government worldwide. Even in the USA, We The People are actually just We The Sheeple and have very little say in our lives...even though we are allowed the illusion that we do. We don't even "elect" our Presidents. The Electoral college" does supposedly based on what we want. As long as we choose from who they want us to choose from.

We have been giving up freedom for so long now we can't remember what it is.

"A nation dependent on it's government to dictate the daily lives of it's people is a nation in decline and distancing itself from personal liberty"

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRealNick
Im sure you old timers love living in a nanny state and im sure you are also brainwashed into not using your own judgement and sence . This is why nothing gets changed cos you get told what to do and you do it get some balls and say NO for once in your life and enjoy something ????

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Dang..you just called snerd an old timer and to grow some and your profile says your a women :)
lmao

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I run across people ALL THE TIME in the hectic, crowded metro area where I live who are flying Phantoms for pay (weddings etc) who do not have a 333 or any other authorization. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with them. But I do feel it's wrong that we have to kiss up to Uncle Sam and beg for permission or pay a tithe for every thing we do.

If I want to pay someone with a Phantom to video and photograph MY wedding on MY property or in a SAFE manner that puts noone and no property at risk elsewhere, that should be NONE of the **** governments business.
Oh hell yeah I agree

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sure you should contact the FAA if you have any doubts though. If any doubt seek legal council and if your local FSDO (FAA Office) gives you the OK by all means get that in writing.
Many thanks you are quite right and I would do that but I just like causing a stir on here as they all take the bait :)

My question to tcope is....

Why do you feel people are so stupid and inherently dangerous that we ALL need a large, powerful all encompassing government to direct our every move? Stupid, irresponsible people need to be dealt with. Granted. But that doesn't mean we ALL need a government nanny.

We "should" be able to operate our Phantoms (for PAY) at less than 400 feet anywhere we can do so without endangering others or have explicit permission to do so from the property owner or event organizer. If something happens then the court system is waiting.
Did you know that 10 year olds have been written citations for selling lemonade on their front lawns?
Is this really what our nation should be about?

What tcope and many fail to realize is that all of this "control" they are so willingly handing over to "government" is actually being handed to the elitist.
Mega money controls every government worldwide. Even in the USA, We The People are actually just We The Sheeple and have very little say in our lives...even though we are allowed the illusion that we do. We don't even "elect" our Presidents. The Electoral college" does supposedly based on what we want. As long as we choose from who they want us to choose from.

We have been giving up freedom for so long now we can't remember what it is.

"A nation dependent on it's government to dictate the daily lives of it's people is a nation in decline and distancing itself from personal liberty"
Hear hear

While the outcome is the same, you have it backwards. All aircraft have these restrictions. However, there was an exception made for non commercial flights of UAVs. So you started off needing a 333 exemption. Don't like that you need one? Well, they waived that requirement.

My point is I can fly my phantom and take pictures of my friends house/scenery without doing anything and if I simply want to collect a fee then I have to file for a 333 exemption. The default exemption for non-commercial use should be extended to commercial use as well IMHO. Look at how many are filed, thousands, tens of thousands? They will grate nearly all of them so what's the point...total waste of time, money, and effort...

Reactions: Meta4
Many thanks you are quite right and I would do that but I just like causing a stir on here as they all take the bait
Next time you feel like going fishing, consider our community guidelines.
Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum
Particularly #2
2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

Please tone it down oakmeadows.
You may have some vaild points but if you get booted you won't be here to make them.
I seem to be hitting a raw nerve with some members so I shall tone it down as you requested jkdsensei and I shall be on my best behaviour from now on [emoji106]

Reactions: JKDSensei
I think much of this discussion is ridiculous honestly. If I climb a mountain and take my DLSR up there and take a photo of the neighborhood below while "jumping" into FAA airspace, does the FAA get to regulate how I use MY picture? Or...how about using a selfie-stick to gain better vantage point for photo of a waterfall? The ARTIST (one who took the picture) OWNS the copyright, regardless of HOW it was obtained.

So basically if you want to film your own wedding you have to get a load of paper work signed??? Just because there is other people there. What a joke!!!
The FAA does not require this as the drone is being used for personal recreation, not commercial use.

If I want to film a wedding for someone I will if they pay me great. Stop acting like robots and stop following every law that is put in place as half of them are just rubbish and prevent you from enjoying your hobby!
I say more power to you in a situation like this. My only point was why there is a difference for people in the FAAs view. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it or telling anyone what they should do.

I think much of this discussion is ridiculous honestly. If I climb a mountain and take my DLSR up there and take a photo of the neighborhood below while "jumping" into FAA airspace, does the FAA get to regulate how I use MY picture? Or...how about using a selfie-stick to gain better vantage point for photo of a waterfall? The ARTIST (one who took the picture) OWNS the copyright, regardless of HOW it was obtained.

Neither you nor a selfi stick would meet the definition of what the FAA regulates in airspace. It's not the photo or how you obtained it that really matters to the FAA. What matters is the risk that the aircraft poses. This can be a 1000lbs plane, a 500lbs drone or a 10lbs drone. All can pose great flight risks. For example, I make my own 100lbs drone and fly it around downtown. You think someone might want to make sure that aircraft is safe to be flown in that manner? If you want to scale that down, where do you stop? One lower line _has_ been down and this is when someone is just flying for personal fun, as a hobby.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the way that this is... I'm just trying to give another perspective on why it's that way. Perhaps one that allows it to make more sense.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
You can take all the pictures you want. Selling them commercially or making or attempting to make money with them is what the Feds have heartburn about.

I have filmed with a dash cam in the Cessna especially during unusual attitudes.............

My point is I can fly my phantom and take pictures of my friends house/scenery without doing anything and if I simply want to collect a fee then I have to file for a 333 exemption. The default exemption for non-commercial use should be extended to commercial use as well IMHO. Look at how many are filed, thousands, tens of thousands? They will grate nearly all of them so what's the point...total waste of time, money, and effort...

I certainly understand the argument that there is really no difference.... a drone in the sky is a drone in the sky. I agree that this is a good argument. However, I also see the other side of the argument. It's as I mentioned. When it comes to commercial flying the real problem is that this tends to put the type of flight outside the why a hobbiest uses the drone. I could make a long list of possible commercial uses but I think everyone knows what they are/could be. People who earn providing a service are usually going to be held to that average (or higher) standard. For example, any business that is open to the pubic has a higher degree of care for people they attract (business invitee). The FAA is going to continue this higher standard to those who "make a buck" off flying. They are probably also going to be flying a lot more. The FAA wants to make sure they understand more about flight and airspace so they require a type of pilots license... and all of the other things associated with 333.

Hey, I get that there is a difference between someone flying every day and making $100,000/year and someone who makes $100 once a year off a couple of photos. There should be a difference. But then where do you draw the line? It's a tough call for the FAA. It's going to be unfair to some people. I think this is why you have some people saying, screw it. I think this might also be why the FAA has not really gone after the small time people who make a dollar or two.

Reactions: TheRealNick

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj