on the dji phantom 3 se!

Reaction score
which is the best shutter speed and ISO does anybody know ??
if so let me know I have my drone set to 4k.

OK......4K...this is kinda off your question.....But for playback for 4K.....what are you planning to use a TV or tower computer/lap top ?

Reactions: whos_that_flying
It all depends on what you're after in terms of finished product. I always shoot at 100 ISO which minimizes the noise and grain in photos. I'm always shooting mid-afternoon and as such there is always plenty of light.

When I'm shooting low light I look for a balance between ISO and shutter with 800 being tops in terms of ISO

Given the SE has a fixed aperture the best shutter speed is the one that gives correct exposure for the ISO. As to the ISO- as low as you can go while arriving a shutter speed that is twice the frame rate or higher.

You will probably find that auto might prove to be your best bet.

If you are looking for those beautiful professional-like shots, first get a green-l variable ND Filter for your drone, you can get them on amazon and eBay, just make sure you get the right one for your drone. Next, set your camera to record at 4k at 24 frames per second, this makes a big difference, and is related to Shutter speed, next, always shoot at ISO 100 and Shutter speed at 1/50th of a second. This will make your pictures and videos very overexposed, that is where the green-l variable ND Filter comes in. Just pop it on the front of the camera and point it in the general direction of what you are filming. Look at your tablet screen as you turn the dial on the variable ND Filter. It will get brighter and darker as you turn it. Set it to the brightness you desire, and start shooting stunning videos! The reason for shooting at 24 frames per second and 1/50th Shutter speed is to give it that nice film look with a perfect amount of motion blur to make it look natural and pleasing to the eye. Hope this helps!

If you are looking for those beautiful professional-like shots, first get a green-l variable ND Filter for your drone, you can get them on amazon and eBay, just make sure you get the right one for your drone. Next, set your camera to record at 4k at 24 frames per second, this makes a big difference, and is related to Shutter speed, next, always shoot at ISO 100 and Shutter speed at 1/50th of a second. This will make your pictures and videos very overexposed, that is where the green-l variable ND Filter comes in. Just pop it on the front of the camera and point it in the general direction of what you are filming. Look at your tablet screen as you turn the dial on the variable ND Filter. It will get brighter and darker as you turn it. Set it to the brightness you desire, and start shooting stunning videos! The reason for shooting at 24 frames per second and 1/50th Shutter speed is to give it that nice film look with a perfect amount of motion blur to make it look natural and pleasing to the eye. Hope this helps!
By jove, I think you've got it!

I saw something like that filter on youtube thought about trying them out !!!

I saw something like that filter on youtube thought about trying them out !!!
Frame rate and shutter speed are key ingredients for that "film look" so many people are after. The filters are the only means of controlling the exposure. The variable filter is the way to go for fine tuning.

Frame rate and shutter speed are key ingredients for that "film look" so many people are after. The filters are the only means of controlling the exposure. The variable filter is the way to go for fine tuning.
In the interests of assisting the OP who seemingly, at this time, is limited in knowledge of the general prinicipals some clarification is relavent. While the aperture is fixed shutter speed can be varied by adjusting the ISO value (subject to available light).

Exactly. I recommend the green-l variable ND. No dark x in shoot like is typical with some cheaper variable ND filters. Some minor sharpness loss may be present, because it is not a polar pro, but its quality is superb for a 10 dollar Filter. It weighs almost nothing, and its build quality is great. I highly recommend it!

AND.......if he don't have a hot video card in the computer and a fast CPU !.....your sure gonna be disappointed in the play back of 4K....Thats why i asked the poster way way UP their !

AND.......if he don't have a hot video card in the computer and a fast CPU !.....your sure gonna be disappointed in the play back of 4K....Thats why i asked the poster way way UP their !
Oh yeah, I just assumed he had a good computer like me. Sorry, you can do 1080p, but there might not be the option for 24 fps, leaving you with standard 30 fps. In that case you will want to shoot at 1/60th of a second.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
In the interests of assisting the OP who seemingly, at this time, is limited in knowledge of the general prinicipals some clarification is relavent. While the aperture is fixed shutter speed can be varied by adjusting the ISO value (subject to available light).
Shutter speed is adjusted in manual mode BTW, Shutter speed and iso can be changed independently of each other. I only shoot in manual so I have full control over my finished product, so I am not familiar with auto setting. But like I said earlier, if you want the BEST looking video from your drone, 24 fps with 1/50th Shutter speed, 100iso and a variable ND Filter are necessary IMHO. (And this is for broad daylight filming. You may not even need ND Filter when shooting at dusk.) At that point only adjust ISO, 800 MAX! after you need to push that limit means you need to land, because it's illegal to fly at night without waiver.

I have a set of Neewer filters for my P3S and am considering upgrading for my P3Pro. I'm considering the Polar Pro 6 pack. Not cheap!

Shutter speed is adjusted in manual mode BTW, Shutter speed and iso can be changed independently of each other. I only shoot in manual so I have full control over my finished product, so I am not familiar with auto setting. But like I said earlier, if you want the BEST looking video from your drone, 24 fps with 1/50th Shutter speed, 100iso and a variable ND Filter are necessary IMHO. (And this is for broad daylight filming. You may not even need ND Filter when shooting at dusk.) At that point only adjust ISO, 800 MAX! after you need to push that limit means you need to land, because it's illegal to fly at night without waiver.
I made two assumptions in my post- that correct exposure would be desired in which case TV can be adjusted by choosing a different ISO and that available light would be low (dawn and dusk being the obvious conditions). Yes, of course ISO and TV can be adjusted independently in manual mode, that’s why it’s called manual.

Thank you for your excellent advice. I think it is based on PAL-settings. When you fly with NTSC-settings (Europe US and Canada) then choose for 30 fps.

If you select PAL then you get multiples of 25 fps (eg 50 fps), if you select NTSC then you get multiples of 30 fps (60 fps).

Last edited:
Thank you for your excellent advice. I think it is based on PAL-settings. When you fly with NTSC-settings (Europe) then choose for 30 fps.

If you select PAL then you get multiples of 25 fps (eg 50 fps), if you select NTSC then you get multiples of 30 fps (60 fps).
The most common frame rates in video are 24, 25 and 30 frames per second. PAL (Europe and parts of Asia) delivers 25 FPS and NTSC (US and Canada) is 30. Most photographers set the shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second. This is known as the 180 degree rule.

You can obtain more stylistic effects by playing with the shutter speed. A fast shutter speed will produce a series of crisp frames but will look a bit choppy when played back. Slower speeds will produce slightly blurred frames that have a smoother look when played back.

The most common frame rates in video are 24, 25 and 30 frames per second. PAL (Europe and parts of Asia) delivers 25 FPS and NTSC (US and Canada) is 30. Most photographers set the shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second. This is known as the 180 degree rule.

You can obtain more stylistic effects by playing with the shutter speed. A fast shutter speed will produce a series of crisp frames but will look a bit choppy when played back. Slower speeds will produce slightly blurred frames that have a smoother look when played back.
Darn, I confused the regions once again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus