Old Man Learning

Have to say it sounding like a problem. As you say it hasn't lost connection with the transmitter, so I can only think it is waiting to warm up- but nothing is happening.
I cannot think what to suggest, apart from looking for a physically loose connection

discv said:
Have to say it sounding like a problem. As you say it hasn't lost connection with the transmitter, so I can only think it is waiting to warm up- but nothing is happening.
I cannot think what to suggest, apart from looking for a physically loose connection

Thanks for the input. I have sent DJI an email. I can only hope they answer and can solve my problem.

ignore that- I've changed my mind. Have you just upgraded the firmware? Maybe it needs transmitter calibration.

discv said:
ignore that- I've changed my mind. Have you just upgraded the firmware? Maybe it needs transmitter calibration.

You've been reading my mind. I thought of that this morning and I will calibrate my transmitter today.

God Bless you Sir! Thank you for feeling 21 at 84. At 57, I'm still hanging on to that notion too! The Mirror doesn't tell the whole story.
I too have a ton of fun with these things.
This Hobby helps keep our minds active. You're post helps justify keeping young in mind and spirit, even though our bodies may not be what they used to be.

I'll read your other post you referred to earlier.
Keep your eye to the Sky!

MagPiFly

MagPiFly said:
God Bless you Sir! Thank you for feeling 21 at 84. At 57, I'm still hanging on to that notion too! The Mirror doesn't tell the whole story.
I too have a ton of fun with these things.
This Hobby helps keep our minds active. You're post helps justify keeping young in mind and spirit, even though our bodies may not be what they used to be.

I'll read your other post you referred to earlier.
Keep your eye to the Sky!

MagPiFly

Thanks for those thoughts MagPiFly. Sometimes it's hard to keep thinking young when thinking young these days seems to be hootin' and hollerin' and sticking your tongue out while on wrecking balls.

Buk said:
Invest in one of those cheapo voltage alarms, even with failing hearing they're very audible.

Sure would have been nice if they had thought to flash the LED on the controller as well as the craft when the battery is low. I guess there is no Rx (in the controller)so that can't work currently.

justsomeguy said:
sundance2013 said:
Sure would have been nice if they had thought to flash the LED on the controller as well as the craft when the battery is low. I guess there is no Rx (in the controller)so that can't work currently.

...not to mention there's no TX in the Phantom.

There should be no guessing involved at all.

That to, guess it was extra cost they didn't see a need for with the flashing low batt. light us old guys can't see more than 50' away. :mrgreen:

I'm just a spring chicken at 66, but here are my suggestions that should help you fly the Phantom into your '90's. I'm assuming you've gone through the calibration with the software. You should also program the right toggle switch (S1), second ATT position (closest to you) to allow you to switch to the Return to Home mode. That way, if you do something wrong, you can instantly flick that switch and the craft will return to home on its own (assuming there are no trees or buildings in the way).

1. Start by making sure that the IOC switch (S2) is in the OFF position, the Control Mode Switch is in the GPS position, the right toggle is centred, and the left toggle is in the down (closest to you position).

2. Always turn the transmitter on first, then connect the battery to the Phantom. You'll get a flashing yellow light if you don't do this.

3. Wait for the flashing yellow warm up sequence to finish.

4. Rapidly switch the Control Mode Switch (right one) between GPS and ATT mode about 10 times until the yellow light is solid on. End in the GPS position.

5. Calibrate your compass by turning the craft as is shown in the diagrams and the light starts flashing again.

6. Put the Phantom down on the ground pointing in one of the main compass directions (N,S,E,W), and wait until it has a solid GPS position (all green flashing lights). THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT; I don't fly my Phantom until I have this. Clouds don't affect GPS signal acquisition, but tall buildings, thick trees, narrow valleys, and being indoors certainly does.

6. When you fly the Phantom, make sure you never lose sight of it! DON'T fly it too high, DON'T fly it directly overhead, and, until you get experience, DON'T fly it from in front of you to behind you where you have to turn 180° to keep watching it.

7. Before you let the Phantom fly more than about 50 feet from you, test your controls on the transmitter to make sure they are doing exactly as you expect. When you want it to go right, it goes right; when you want it to go away from you, it goes away, etc.

So . . . now you have your Phantom, but a big question rears its ugly head. How do you transport it to your flying site? Do you just throw it, along with yout TX and batteries, into the back of your car or truck? Well, you could do that, but upon some serious consideration you will probably decide to encase it in some suitable container for transport.

For about $200 you can buy a case that will hold your Phantom and just about everything else you can think of, but if you happen to have a Walkera MX400 quadcopter you can spend that $200 on more satisfying diversions.

My MX400 came with a nice looking case. The only problem there is that to fit the MX400 into the case for transport you have to remove the propellers and the landing gear. Well, you can get around removing the landing gear by putting the quad into the case upside down. However, having to install the props when you get to where you are going to fly is still a pain in wherever you are prone to experience pain.

Now, this case is more adaptable to the Phantom. The Phantom is still placed into the case upside down, but you do not have to remove the props. And, with very little foam surgery you can place the TX into the case sideways. This leaves 3 open cutouts in the foam in which you can put batteries.

So, if you can pick up a used MX400 case somewhere real cheaply, you will have an almost custom made case for your Phantom.

:D

FrankB said:
I'm just a spring chicken at 66, but here are my suggestions that should help you fly the Phantom into your '90's. I'm assuming you've gone through the calibration with the software. You should also program the right toggle switch (S1), second ATT position (closest to you) to allow you to switch to the Return to Home mode. That way, if you do something wrong, you can instantly flick that switch and the craft will return to home on its own (assuming there are no trees or buildings in the way).

1. Start by making sure that the IOC switch (S2) is in the OFF position, the Control Mode Switch is in the GPS position, the right toggle is centred, and the left toggle is in the down (closest to you position).

2. Always turn the transmitter on first, then connect the battery to the Phantom. You'll get a flashing yellow light if you don't do this.

3. Wait for the flashing yellow warm up sequence to finish.

4. Rapidly switch the Control Mode Switch (right one) between GPS and ATT mode about 10 times until the yellow light is solid on. End in the GPS position.

5. Calibrate your compass by turning the craft as is shown in the diagrams and the light starts flashing again.

6. Put the Phantom down on the ground pointing in one of the main compass directions (N,S,E,W), and wait until it has a solid GPS position (all green flashing lights). THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT; I don't fly my Phantom until I have this. Clouds don't affect GPS signal acquisition, but tall buildings, thick trees, narrow valleys, and being indoors certainly does.

6. When you fly the Phantom, make sure you never lose sight of it! DON'T fly it too high, DON'T fly it directly overhead, and, until you get experience, DON'T fly it from in front of you to behind you where you have to turn 180° to keep watching it.

7. Before you let the Phantom fly more than about 50 feet from you, test your controls on the transmitter to make sure they are doing exactly as you expect. When you want it to go right, it goes right; when you want it to go away from you, it goes away, etc.

Thank you for your suggestions Frank. I am slowly blundering my way to success with my Phantom

ChrisMohrSr said:
discv said:

Thanks for the input. I have sent DJI an email. I can only hope they answer and can solve my problem.

You were absolutely right. I disconnected the tiny plug to the compass and then reconnected it and I can now calibrate the compass. However, I now get the light that tells me calibration has failed. I now have to determine why that is.

I am having a similar problem. I had the 3 yellow lights that would not stop flashing. So I did a compass calibration, and the same still the same three yellow flashes after the successful compass calibration (dance). So next I did an imu calibration because the software ver 2.12 said to do an advanced. It completed unsuccessfully and now the three blinking yellow sequence is now red green yellow meaning abnormal imu. So were are stuck here and still can't start the phantom. There is an option in the software to update the pmu should we do that? And what does pmu mean?

We also tried the 2.14 and the 2.16 software and still the same problem.

How to get it calibrated. It was flying fine but it was a little unsteady in gps mode so we did an advanced imu calibration that killed it all.

xstatic said:
I am having a similar problem. I had the 3 yellow lights that would not stop flashing. So I did a compass calibration, and the same still the same three yellow flashes after the successful compass calibration (dance). So next I did an imu calibration because the software ver 2.12 said to do an advanced. It completed unsuccessfully and now the three blinking yellow sequence is now red green yellow meaning abnormal imu. So were are stuck here and still can't start the phantom. There is an option in the software to update the pmu should we do that? And what does pmu mean?

We also tried the 2.14 and the 2.16 software and still the same problem.

How to get it calibrated. It was flying fine but it was a little unsteady in gps mode so we did an advanced imu calibration that killed it all.

Those flashing lights have got me dizzy trying to remember which means what. I am using the 2.12 software, but I have no trouble doing an IMU Advanced Calibration. My only problem seems to be that **** Compass Calibratiom. It goes well until the end when I get the flashing red light telling me that the Compass Calibration failed. I have tried degaussing the Compass, but the magnet I have is very weak and seems to have no affect. I can fly it in the attitude Mode, but that's not what I bought the Phantom for.

Ok, Problem solved. I waited ten minutes after the unsuccessful load with battery not attached. Then did a calibration and it worked fine. Got the start up lights and course lock sequence. Good to go.

I recalibrated on a more level surface, now after doing the advanced calibration I get the 4 quick yellow lights and cannot start the phantom. Back to drawing board.

Should I update the PMU?

The ten minutes didn't work the second time.
I had an errror doing a advanced imu calibration which is good as it gets me the r g y lights, meaning faulty imu.
So I did advanced calibration, went through and no message wait ten minutes. I got the check mark immediately with no warnings to unplug, then the green lights finishing after the warning to disconnect. This time it work. But if I calibrate again I know it will screw up. Maybe you have to pull plug while half way finished to interrupt the load. Then you get fault afterwards, then a good load. But that is not a good way to go. Should I upgrade the PMU! Can someone tell me if you had upgraded yours?

xstatic said:
I recalibrated on a more level surface, now after doing the advanced calibration I get the 4 quick yellow lights and cannot start the phantom. Back to drawing board.

Should I update the PMU?

The only advice I can give anyone is to play those DJI Tutorials over and over until you almost know them by heart and do the same with the manuals available fron the DJI website. Then watch some of the hundred or so videos about the Phantom on You Tube.

And then also contact Customer Service at DJI. I have read many, many complaints that DJI never answers emails. I have not found this to be true. I have contacted them several times and have always received advice and an offer to answer any further questions. :|

The tutorials don't cover this BS. This is an improper mesh between hardware and software. I have seen the tutorials and read the manuals. But coming up with an upgrade that doesn't allow you to calibrate. It happens to many people and those software people in China or whoever are not fully testing the product. I don't mean to be nasty but this is really not professional of them to leave the user with useless files that do not work. Brand new copter, and it rendered it useless with a calibration. They have to do better before releasing. I am disappointed in their software. This never happens with a Sony product! The manufacturer is in total denial of any product products. They never come out with statements that they know there is a problem for some. We are working on it...stay tuned, or for now do this. NO releases from them in that manner. Many agree with me.

So I am at a point that I know if I have to recalibrate....hell again.
Don't forget folks, tell me if you upgraded the PMU. Aftraid to do it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj