OH NO!!!

Reaction score
I just received email from Alaska Airlines that I will NOT be able to take my P3S battery, either as carry-on or checked in baggage. No reason was given. I replied asking why is it that I can carry-on my computer that has a battery but not able to take my drone battery even if it's in checked luggage.
I will be going from San Jose to spend 5 months in the Big Island and was hoping to do a little flying and videographing while there. But now this. Anyone have similar experience?
I'm now gonna check with the PO or UPS about shipping the battery. Or maybe even buy one and have it shipped to my Pahoa home.
EL

put them in the appropriate lip bag and put them in your carry on. No one is going to say a thing about it.

Alaska airlines aren't going to know a thing. When you ask them questions, and they don't exactly know for sure, the safest course for them is to simply reply with NO

I just received email from Alaska Airlines that I will NOT be able to take my P3S battery, either as carry-on or checked in baggage. No reason was given. I replied asking why is it that I can carry-on my computer that has a battery but not able to take my drone battery even if it's in checked luggage.
It's quite likely that the person replying to you has no idea themselves.
Alaskan Airlines website tells you want the situation is with lithium batteries.
Baggage Restrictions - Batteries and Electronics | Alaska Airlines

Are you able to share with as what question you asked them? Particularly any statements you made about pack capacity and terminal style/configuration?

You should be able to put batteries in your carry luggage. They are not allowed in checked-in baggage.

Just ship the battery to where you're going via UPS, USPS, FEDEX, whatever. Thats how we get them, in the mail. Just make sure you check with shipper on how it should be packaged and labeled. Heck, I just got my third battery in the mail just last week.

I will be going from San Jose to spend 5 months in the Big Island and was hoping to do a little flying and videographing while there. But now this. Anyone have similar experience?
I'm now gonna check with the PO or UPS about shipping the battery. Or maybe even buy one and have it shipped to my Pahoa home.
EL
I don't think they can stop you, the batteries are within their own rules, see a few posts up, I always print the airline rules and put the sheet in with my drone, but I've never been queried on it..

I don't think they can stop you, the batteries are within their own rules, see below, I always print the airline rules and put the sheet in with my drone, but I've never been queried on it..
Baggage Restrictions - Batteries and Electronics | Alaska Airlines
It's up to the carrier what they will allow onboard the aircraft. It's not an argument I would like to be having just before departure. I suspect we will find it's ok however it might be that certain if the particulars provided in the OP's enquiry to the airline confused them.

Are you able to share with as what question you asked them? Particularly any statements you made about pack capacity and terminal style/configuration?
Here is the reply to my question:
"October 2, 2016
Dear Eddie,
I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska with regard to your inquiry. The drone itself can be a carry on, however, the batteries are the issue. They cannot be checked or carried on.
As always, thank you for flying with us. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on another flight.
Sincerely,
Michelle Larson-Gridley
Customer Care Representative
Reference#: 2159621"

My question to Alaska was can I bring my Phantom 3 case on board as carry-on luggage and can I leave the battery attached to it or should I check it in with my other luggage?

Now I'm getting conflicting information on this forum. So maybe my next course of action is to call Alaska and ask for a supervisor. Maybe they can give the definitive answer to my original question.
Thank you all
EL

IMG_0263.PNG
Here is the reply to my question:
"October 2, 2016
Dear Eddie,
I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska with regard to your inquiry. The drone itself can be a carry on, however, the batteries are the issue. They cannot be checked or carried on.
As always, thank you for flying with us. We hope you'll give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations on another flight.
Sincerely,
Michelle Larson-Gridley
Customer Care Representative
Reference#: 2159621"

My question to Alaska was can I bring my Phantom 3 case on board as carry-on luggage and can I leave the battery attached to it or should I check it in with my other luggage?

Now I'm getting conflicting information on this forum. So maybe my next course of action is to call Alaska and ask for a supervisor. Maybe they can give the definitive answer to my original question.
Thank you all
EL
You can take them in your carry on either in the phantom or seperate.

They state LiION however as you likely know a LiPO is a LiION cell chemistry wise, it's just the cells are in soft pouches rather than rigid packaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: kupua
Oh yes, and not hold baggage, it must be carry on. Use LiPo bags and have the batteries at 50% charge with a bit of tape over the terminals. Call the supervisor and quote their own rules, have the web page open in front of you when you call... I think maybe the staff that are ignorant of the rules will play safe. Good luck, it would be a shame to have your plans spoiled by petty bureaucracy..

Reactions: kupua and EddieLo
Can someone read through this governmentese language? Where does the drone battery fit in in all these explanations?
Not necessary- the airline already has done this for you with the plain English explanation on their website (as I posted above). The batteries are LiION and less than 100wh so you can take them onboard with you.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I just talked on the phone to Alaska Customer Service Rep who verified with his supervisor that it is OK to take drone and battery as long as it is carry-on (of course carry-on, I don't trust those baggage handlers with my drone) *and* it is not attached to the drone. I explained it will be in a carrying case made specifically for the Phantom and the there is space for the battery. So looks like I can carry it on and the rep who replied to my email was WRONG! However, it is TSA who has the final say in all this. And if I encounter a TSA agent who is ignorant of this policy, then I will have to ask for a TSA supervisor and hope he/she is not as ignorant as the TSA behind the xray screen.
Thanks for all the input, I will be traveling in about 30 days. When I finally get to my destination I shall report back to this forum.
Thanks to all for your input
EL

Reactions: Gary M
Not necessary- the airline already has done this for you with the plain English explanation on their website (as I posted above). The batteries are LiION and less than 100wh so you can take them onboard with you.
The link is so large that I can't see the entire text. Maybe it's my computer, I don't know. So I went to the site and it's still a little confusing. No matter, I'll go by what telephone Alaska Air cust. service said, that it is ok as long as it's carry-on.

The link is so large that I can't see the entire text. Maybe it's my computer, I don't know. So I went to the site and it's still a little confusing. No matter, I'll go by what telephone Alaska Air cust. service said, that it is ok as long as it's carry-on.
I just gave you a screenshot of the relevant part, I.e. LiPO less than 100wh (phantom batts are) can be in checked baggage (if installed in equipment) or carried on board. Just have the URL bookmarked if you need it on the day however it seems you will have no issue getting through security screening.

Reactions: EddieLo
Try Hawaiian airlines, they allow if batteries are individually wrapped and taken in hand baggage ( not checked in luggage)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Unfortunately, HA does not fly direct San Jose, CA to Kona. They can get me there only if I layover several hours in either Maui or Honolulu. Besides, with Alaska I pay only $99 r/t for my wife. btw, here is what TSA says: "The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane" The airlines have NOTHING to say on what can or cannot be brought on their aircraft. But so far, even TSA seems to agree that my P3S battery can fly with me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31